Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Fieldway
Trying for More Ears

Earthquakes! Can anyone put mind at rest!

Hi all,
We are going to Cali in 24 days, 5 nights LA inc universal, 5 nights San Diego staying on the waterfront at mission beach, 3 nights Huntington Beach also on water and then finishing with 4 nights in Anaheim before home.
Having heard about the 2 earthquakes I feel a little anxious! Google is not being helpful so wondered if any dibbers could put it into perspective? Should we be looking at cancellation policies and trying to change plans or are we ok? I know nobody can give a guarantee but wondered how other people heading there this summer are feeling?!

Any thoughts?!

Cx
Fieldway is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

We head over there in Sept and I am not in the least bit concerned... there is nothing we can do about it so just calm down and get on with looking forward to your holiday. Look at how many hurricanes and storms hit Florida every year and we never give them a second thought - California quakes are no different
Old 6 Jul 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Fieldway
Trying for More Ears

You are so right, I didn’t even think of risk in Florida, although warning system is better for that kind of issue. We also go to london and other cities often which brings another sort of risk that I don’t think about. Just looked on map and it’s quite far from LA and SD. Stepping away from google now x
Fieldway is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughter and her boyfriend are off to california in September, she's mentioned the quakes in passing but it's not putting her off, hopefully it stays that way, I said to watch some of her favourite celebs on insta who posted videos and they look non fazed by it so if the drama llamas can cope I'm sure they can lol x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Fieldway View Post
You are so right, I didn’t even think of risk in Florida, although warning system is better for that kind of issue. We also go to london and other cities often which brings another sort of risk that I don’t think about. Just looked on map and it’s quite far from LA and SD. Stepping away from google now x
There are apps available in California for people to put on their phones that will issue warnings for any potential earthquakes, so they are prepared. They were set lower than the 2 that hit over the last few days but that figure has now been changed
Old 6 Jul 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I think that in 24 days time the aftershocks should all be past. Generally they come for a few days afterwards and then settle down again.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Hi, we returned home from California yesterday and was in LA on Thursday when they had the first earthquake. We didn’t feel a thing and only knew about it when we were contacted by relatives at home. Locals were not concerned in the slightest and we weren’t either. My view is if its going to happen its going to happen - enjoy your holiday, it really is an amazing destination.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
I think that in 24 days time the aftershocks should all be past. Generally they come for a few days afterwards and then settle down again.
Listening to someone on CNN earlier they were of the opinion that they are not getting aftershocks but pre shocks.

First it was a 6.4, the latest 7.1. Really don't think we have heard the last of this. Hope I am wrong though as have relatives about 40 miles from Ridgecrest who felt the 7.1 earlier today!
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Think you just have to go with the flow. Make sure you know what to do 'IF' one occurs, check out any emergency procedures etc. If it happens, then it happens, life's too short so relax and enjoy your trip!
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Listening to someone on CNN earlier they were of the opinion that they are not getting aftershocks but pre shocks.

First it was a 6.4, the latest 7.1. Really don't think we have heard the last of this. Hope I am wrong though as have relatives about 40 miles from Ridgecrest who felt the 7.1 earlier today!
The thread title says “put my mind at rest”. I think you’re probably not helping 3 weeks would be an unusually long period of time for a sequence of quakes to run.

Edited at 12:48 AM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List