Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Jul 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ah80207
Excited about Disney

Mobile Disney hotel newbie!

We just got back and are planning for next year! Never done a Disney hotel before, but planning on doing 5 days this trip to get the free dining plan. We love the universal hotels we’ve stayed in before (RPR, PB and HRH) and I’m worried by going for the cheaper Disney options (POFQ or CBR) it may be a bit more basic although still pricey compared to an off site resort! Also my mum struggles with her hip and I’ve heard some of the resorts are a really long walk even to the free bus.

Can anyone recommend a Disney resort that’s not too massive, and has a nice pool? Also are the rooms similar to the universal ones,or as we’re going for the cheaper end of disney accommodation should we expect something more basic?

Thanks in advance!
Ah80207 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

POFQ has the smallest footprint for the moderate resorts. Outside corridors to the rooms. POR and Caribbean Beach are both vast depending where your room is but preferred rooms can be booked. The moderate hotel rooms are nice. Not deluxe which is what you are asking to compare them to but not a million miles apart. I’ve stayed in a suite at a Portofino which is another level to Disney moderates and HRH where I thought the room was slightly less good than a Disney deluxe. Have a look at You Tube there are resort tours and room tours of all the Disney resorts.
Old 11 Jul 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Disney moderates are by definition not as fancy as Universal deluxe hotels so you need to be prepared for that straight away. We haven’t stayed there yet but CSR rooms look to be much nicer than the other moderates and for a cheaper price so that may be your best option. Have a look at some of the pictures and YouTube videos of the new Gran Destino Tower that’s part of CSR.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I'd look at some room tours on youtube. Personally the moderates for me are well below RPR in appeal and facilities, so if I was looking to get one for the dining plan I'd just go with the "cheapest."

As PP's have said, outside corridors, more basic rooms and just a general feel of not being as nice. Which is surprising because pricing up 2 weeks in Coronado springs/Port Orleans/Caribbean beach comes to 200pp MORE than RPR does for next September through Thomas cook. Albeit you do get the free dining deal. £200 would buy you a few QS meals too mind.

Tim tracker does a nice series of hotel tours on youtube, I'd look at those for some impressions of what you fancy/can get away with.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 12:15 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ah80207
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Yikes, we stayed in universal club level rooms too. Might have a rethink 🤔
Ah80207 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
We have stayed at a fair few of the Universal hotels (rpr, pbh, HRH and Aventura) and a lot of the Disney hotels.
Value - AOA and Pop
Moderate POFQ ( here now) and Riverside
Deluxe - contemporary, Polynesian, yacht club, beach club and AKL.

We were at the hard rock before we arrived at POFQ and yes it’s less luxurious. It has lots of great positives, the resort is really compact so not too much walking required and it is lovely. We really like it but we knew before we came it would not be as luxurious as some of the other hotels but we are here for 15 nights and it ticks all our boxes and has everything we need. We upgraded the free dining plan to ddp and we could have stayed at AKL for just a little more but we’ve stayed there twice and wanted a change.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

For five days if you’re spending most of your time in the parks I wouldn’t pay deluxe Disney prices. The moderates are not nasty. The deluxe hotels are by definition more deluxe!
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This Gran Destino Tower blurs the lines between moderate and deluxe IMO. See Tim Tracker’s video.
Old 12 Jul 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Ask for a preferred room, always closer to buses and food courts. POR or POfQ Are recommend, they are nothing like the Universal hotels for luxury but they serve a purpose.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Last time we visited, we stayed at CBR whilst at Disney and had a one night stay at RPR to visit Universal. RPR was definitely better than CBR - both the rooms and the hotel were nicer than CBR's. So don't expect the level of luxury you got from stayed at the deluxe Universal hotels.

As for "long walks" it really depends on what you mean. We've stayed at CBR twice which is one of the biggest Disney resorts. Compared to the walking you'll do around the parks, the distances you walk at CBR are nothing. It's generally a 5 minute walk to the main building - you'll probably walk further from your car to the entrance of the theme park. However, if you want a more compact resort, then POFQ is the smallest of the moderates.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List