Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 14 Jul 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
I think you win the prize. Although technically it's not in Florida Lol
What happened
Well the OP did say "on a Florida holiday" and we had taken off for that lol !

Around 25 minutes in had a message from the cockpit to say there was a problem and we were returning to Gatwick.

Landed back and stopped very quickly. I just thought we'd taxi back to a stand as usual. But no. The lights went out and everything shut down while still on the runway.

Sat there for a couple of minutes all quiet and dark and then the captain said "This is an emergency ... Evacuate ... Evacuate..." !

After jumping down the slides the crew on board by the doors were shouting at us on the ground to "run ... run... "! Then you think ... how far do I need to run!

So pretty scary and frightening!

Turned out to be a faulty fire warning !

We did get there eventually the next day in the end! But took some nerves to get back on again! Not helped when the "Fear of Flying' person who was made available to help the passengers, when I asked what the plan was for the flight the following day, told me wasn't coming !

Edited at 07:57 PM.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Our youngest daughter walking off at Epcot (aged 6 I think at the time) just as we’d stopped to look at something and the lights went off for Illuminations. Was only a couple of minutes but felt like eternity!

She could have gone in 3 different directions but fortunately located her fine (she almost walked back in our direction) and was totally oblivious.

Lots of hugging/tears. But all ok in the end
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneytink88
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Driving back to Orlando from the keys one year. Mum had the map and told dad that she could see 'a shortcut' that meant we would avoid driving back through Miami or something. Anyway, turned out it definitely was not a shortcut, ended up down alligator alley, with the car running on fumes and no gas station in sight for miles, just rest stops. There was practically no other traffic on the road either. We took a turn off and found a gas station that looked like something from the hills have eyes, almost expected to see lampshades made from skin haha.
Doesn't seem that bad now but I was only young at the time and the thought of being stuck in the middle of the Everglades terrified me!
Disneytink88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Capsized by "something" under our kayak at Wekeiva Springs. The river was waist deep so we couldnt get back in and no bank to access. Luckily the Ranger came along and called on some local lads to help us empty the kayak & climb back in.
This was just beyond the lagoon where there were loads of gators.
We dont go there now.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
rking89
Getting Excited

Flying back from Sanford to Gatwick May 2007 on a Travel City/Air Atlanta 747-200 with an engine failure on take off. (Talking to other passengers some said the engine had caught fire) Had to dump fuel flying around for 2 hours before making a landing back at Sanford. About 45 seconds before landing the pilot said he had "called an emergency landing and not to be alarmed with the fire engines and ambulances chasing us down the runway after landing." We were upstairs and when he came out of the cockpit was "surprised we didn't hear the warning sirens going off"

Made the local news in Orlando but pre social media nothing in the UK. Send to a dingy hotel on I-drive and then on the coach back to the airport it was severely overheating and the driver pulled over on the side of the 417 and water cooler was spraying out of the engine.

25 hour delay later we were send home on another 747-200. Trying to find old news articles on this but nothing around any more
rking89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Not that bad really but our first family trip to Florida at the end of 1993, mum was VERY concerned as THIS had just happened a few months earlier and the poor couple were from a few villages away from us. We were delayed so landed REALLY late, it was very dark and my dad had studied maps and apparently "knew the route like the back of his hand" Queue getting lost about 20 mins later, in the middle of no where, mum absolutely going off her head, me (aged 14) absolutely pooping my pants that we were going to get shot at and brother (aged 16) just laughing his head off and taking every opportunity to wind me & mum up Dad couldn't pull over to check the map as mum wouldn't let him in case someone shot at us and tried to rob us, we drove round for ages and eventually he spotted a street sign he recognised and got us to the hotel!

Another time myself and DH went over to our friends wedding (she lives in Orlando) and a lot of her american friends were there and one of them offered to give us a lift "home" (back to our friend parents house), it should have been a 20/30 min drive. My and DH fell asleep (with 2 other English folk also getting a lift home) and we woke up, literally in the middle of nowhere, no street lights, no sign of any houses or shops, just a road going through nowhere, then I realised it was 3am and the guys goes "oh hey your awake... so I am kinda lost, how do I get to her folks house again" (we left at midnight! ) we obviously had no clue - we were so scared! The guy was just laughing and eventually found a 7-11 pulled up, jumped out and checked a map and then got us home at 5am our friends parents came running out as they were sick with worry (it was when you didn't use mobiles abroad as it cost like £3000 for a 30 second call haha) turns out the guy was absolutely hammered he told everyone he had been drinking water all night but it was straight gin

Edited at 02:38 PM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I have just read the attachment with your story OLS, we have been back 2 weeks and I was just talking to my DDs when we were away that there was a spate of shootings at some time in Florida in the 90s, I couldn't remember all the detail but I seem to remember that hire cars were very distinctive and the bad guys would look to follow these cars with a view to robbing them. Do I remember these awful events correctly.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
hayles25
Imagineer

hayles25's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hurricane Andrew awful experience and a few others causing bad damage to our villa. I also witnessed a dead body being pulled out of a lake in Kissimmee and passing a drive by shooting..how errr pleasant!

Edited at 07:25 PM. Reason: Others to add
hayles25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Carlisleshaun
Trying for More Ears

Hurricane Irma... horrendous
Carlisleshaun is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Hurricane Charley - it was our last night, the roof was taken off the villa we were staying in, and the pool screen destroyed. Virgin were absolutely useless - we ended up in a hotel on I drive for three nights, and got a flight out on the Tuesday. Very scary!

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List