Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 13 Jul 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Tickets V Annual Pass

We are thinking of going this year in October/November time, so was thinking of upgrading tickets to an AP as we would go again June time next year
I’m sure I’ve read on here before people not paying anything to upgrade their tickets, if so how do you manage to get this, or are you cheaper buying and AP in the first instance?
Thanks
June x
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

For Disney I’m not sure you can upgrade without paying. It is often cheaper to upgrade and use the AP over two trips in a year than buy tickets separately for each trip. It still seems to be that you will be given different upgrade costs depending on where and who you ask.
Would definitely recommend as the other perks are useful and knowing I could go any day of the year makes me happy, even though it’s so far away 😂
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

Upgrading to Disney AP is definitely not free. You pay the difference between the price of your Ultimate and the price of an annual pass. The value they give for your Ultimate will be the value that the retailer paid Disney for it, so probably less than you paid for it.

The main perk is free parking, which means you can come and go as you please - it doesn't matter if you only go in for a couple of hours in the morning / evening because you're not paying for a days parking.

It may be worth considering upgrading to one AP in your party if this is the main perk.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

For disney it costs a lot to upgrade. It depends a bit on your exact trip. But 2 visits is borderline to be worth it. Possibly is if you stay offsite. Certainly to biy 1 for the free parking. But staying onsite you cant then get the free dinning plan.

Seaworld and universal groups are where the AP upgrade cost can be not mich more than a 14 day ticket.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

As well as free parking don't forget to factor in the AP discount in some QS locations, the majority of TS restaurants and the shopping.
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
I’m sure I’ve read on here before people not paying anything to upgrade their tickets, i
if you're talking about universal, then it has been the case.
It depends on which Tier AP. Seasonnal AP will be cheapest and you can turn a 14 days ticket into a seasonnal AP for virtually nothing + change.
if your ticket includes volcano bay, you'll need to upgrade to the 3 parks version of the AP, and probably will pay at least $100 (the value of the vb add on)

if you're talking about disney AP, then, no way

Disney has even increased their AP price by $250 a piece last month

Upgrading to AP will cost basically the same price as buying a new set of 14 days tickets

but as some posters noted above, you need to factor in discounts, (and free parking at parks if you stay offsite)
that alone can bring the price down to virtually a free upgrade ... but you'll still need to pay several hubdreds of dollars upfront, per person, tu upgrade. And you'll need to do some maths on your next stay to break even (let's face it, you won't get anything for free)

take into consideration that a Disney AP will only allow you up to 7 days worth of FP+ compared to the 14 days on an ultimate ticket.

let me just finish by advising to make good note of blockout dates when upgrading (and consider some might be disclosed after upgrading, so check previous years blockouts to have a sense of what could happen)

you don't want to upgrade to AP and find out you can't enter the parks on your next visit. or you'd need to upgrade to a higher tier AP and add even more money ...
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
boarder4life
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I currently have a annual pass and can give you a honest opinion and review.

Like most people have commented, parking!
We took our 2 yr old for his first time in December and it was lovely being able to pop into Disney without thinking is it worth $25 to park.

We also went to animal kingdom first thing in the morning and did flight of passage. Park opened at 9.00am we were walking out at 9.02am. We got to ride it without wasting part of the day queuing. Again flexibility wouldn’t have done it or would have felt we needed to stay the day.

My wife and sister in law used the discount while shopping in pandora and the Disney store.

Being a annual pass holder does not feel any different than using a normal pass. Yes you get your own entrance but you end waiting for your party on the other side anyway.

The whole point was to save on the parking, we have a trip in September so we have 2 holidays worth of visits. In total I will have used a 35-38 days worth of visits and parking. The parking is $950 alone!

There are a lot of options to not use the parking, Uber lyft taxi or on site. We like the flexibility of coming and going as we please.

Things happen which are out of your control and my wife unfortunately was taken I’ll early this year. We would have preferred to delay our trip in September but due to this we are financially forced to carry on the plans to get our moneys worth.

In short if you are driving and visiting within 12 months it is value for money. If your on the fence for one trip I would advise against it, more of the aspect you are forced into going again in a year and Florida holidays are expensive, more so with the exchange rate being poor!

2 Florida holidays in a 12 month period is difficult and like I said life often throws curve balls at you. It’s whether your circumstances are fine within those 12 months.

That is the most honest feedback I can give.
boarder4life is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Thanks for all the replies, I’m going to look at the options for universal I think as we will use them again and to upgrade for very little or possibly nothing seems like worth a chance
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
RayVisions
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I’m going to look at the options for universal I think as we will use them again and to upgrade for very little or possibly nothing seems like worth a chance
Be careful of the block out dates for Universal, although I think you should be okay if you definitely go back in June.

universalorlando/web...#seasonal-pass
RayVisions is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We did the upgrading for free at Universal last November.

We upgraded 5 3 Park 14 Day Tickets

To

4 2 Park Season Passes
1 2 Park Preferred Pass (Free parking and 10% food and merchandise discount)

We managed this for free but it took speaking to 3 different cast members around the park to get this offer! Definitely worth it if you can get it.

The Seasonal ended up with 15 months use and the preferred 18 months 😊 xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List