Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 14 Jul 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

In Fort Myers Beach-looking for suggestions please

Currently staying in Fort Myers beach, arrived yesterday. Although lovely, the beach is very hard packed sand and water is very churned up .

Any suggestions or nearby beaches where I can find soft powder sand.

Really want to bury my toes

Thanks folks

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Try Sanibel Island. It’s only about 20/30 minutes away. I wish we’d stayed there instead of Fort Myers.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Another vote for Sanibel and also Lovers Key, both beautiful.
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the suggestions!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Try Estero beach or Lover's Key, south end of FMB.
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Sanibel island us beautiful- many beaches to visit. The downside is the toll you must pay to get onto the island & $5 an hour to park at the beaches
Old 22 Jul 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CRISSY61 View Post
Sanibel island is beautiful- many beaches to visit. The downside is the toll you must pay to get onto the island & $5 an hour to park at the beaches
Hi Crissy, aye, the $6 toll and parking charges on the beaches can make it rather expensive. There's the option of parking at Billy's Bikes or Finemore's Cycle Shop for free, hiring a bike and heading off for the day. Also check out the Surrey four wheelers that carry up to 6.

Depending on the time of year ensure you visit J. N. Ding Darling Reserve, a lovely 4 mile drive/cycle (strict 20mph limit). Please go in the Visitor Centre before driving/cycling the reserve path. We love DD when the winter snowbirds are in, so much wildlife to see. Weather permitting, we pack a picnic and visit for my 25th Dec birthday/our wedding anniversary. DD open the reserve free of charge on 25th Dec. NOTE: DD is closed on a Friday.

As Crissy said, Sanibel/Captiva is beautiful, for those who'd like to take an 'e-drive' onto Sanibel/Captiva, I've set up the Sanibel Causeway bridge HERE. If you head to Sanibel drive to the very end of Captiva too, you can look out over Redfish Pass where you re very likely to see dolphin. Not too long before you get to Captiva end, a left turn into Andy Rosse Lane leads to The Mucky Duck, which sits on the beach offerring good food and superb sunsets. Their sister restaurant is not far, The Green Flash (named after many green flash SW Fl sunsets).

The Bubble Room is on Captiva, my brother/sis in law asked us to eat there with them, distinctly unimpressed, it's dirty, full of dusty memorabilia (carpets very sticky/dirty), and food that left much to be desired. The servers are called Bubble Scouts and dress like Boy Scouts (not taking my sense of humour there ). Bubble's claim to fame; large sized cake dessert (can be bought at the counter to take away), but, IMHO there's far better Captiva eateries than the Bubble Room.

Edited at 11:24 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Elisebev
Trainee Dibber

Totally loved your e drive ChrisS. My family and I spend Christmas and new year on Sanibel island every year. In fact we just booked this years flights at the weekend. When I’m on island I hire a bike and cycle every day. Thanks to your link, I was able to take a virtual drive over the causeway and along periwinkle to check on ‘our condo’ in buttonwood lane at the east end of the island. Totally agree with you about the bubble room although we always go and get orange crunch cake to take out. Only 145 days till I’m there for real.

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Crissy, aye, the $6 toll and parking charges on the beaches can make it rather expensive. There's the option of parking at Billy's Bikes or Finemore's Cycle Shop for free, hiring a bike and heading off for the day. Also check out the Surrey four wheelers that carry up to 6.

Depending on the time of year ensure you visit J. J. Ding Darling Reserve, a lovely 4 mile drive/cycle (strict 20mph limit). Please go in the Visitor Centre before driving/cycling the reserve path. We love DD when the winter snowbirds are in, so much wildlife to see. Weather permitting, we pack a picnic and visit for my 25th Dec birthday/our wedding anniversary. DD open the reserve free of charge on 25th Dec. NOTE: DD is closed on a Friday.

As Crissy said, Sanibel/Captiva is beautiful, for those who'd like to take an 'e-drive' onto Sanibel/Captiva, I've set up the Sanibel Causeway bridge HERE. If you see head to Sanibel drive to the very end of Captiva too, you can look out over Redfish Pass where you re very likely to see dolphin. Not too long before you get to Captiva end, a left turn into Andy Rosse Lane leads to The Mucky Duck, which sits on the beach offerring good food and superb sunsets. Their sister restaurant is not far, The Green Flash (named after many green flash SW Fl sunsets).

The Bubble Room is on Captiva, my brother/sis in law asked us to eat there with them, distinctly unimpressed, it's dirty, full of dusty memorabilia (carpets very sticky/dirty), and food that left much to be desired. The servers are called Bubble Scouts and dress like Boy Scouts (not taking my sense of humour there ). Bubble's claim to fame; large sized cake dessert (can be bought at the counter to take away), but, IMHO there's far better Captiva eateries than the Bubble Room.

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Elisebev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post

Depending on the time of year ensure you visit J. J. Ding Darling Reserve, a lovely 4 mile drive/cycle (strict 20mph limit). Please go in the Visitor Centre before driving/cycling the reserve path. We love DD when the winter snowbirds are in, so much wildlife to see. Weather permitting, we pack a picnic and visit for my 25th Dec birthday/our wedding anniversary. DD open the reserve free of charge on 25th Dec. NOTE: DD is closed on a Friday.

As Crissy said, Sanibel/Captiva is beautiful, for those who'd like to take an 'e-drive' onto Sanibel/Captiva, I've set up the Sanibel Causeway bridge HERE. If you see head to Sanibel drive to the very end of Captiva too, you can look out over Redfish Pass where you re very likely to see dolphin. Not too long before you get to Captiva end, a left turn into Andy Rosse Lane leads to The Mucky Duck, which sits on the beach offerring good food and superb sunsets. Their sister restaurant is not far, The Green Flash (named after many green flash SW Fl sunsets).

I also don't get why The Bubble Room is so popular!
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Another vote for Lovers Key just South of you

And Barefoot beach,Bonita Springs or Delnor-Wiggins state park has a lovely beach with restrooms
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List