Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jul 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Lunchtime drama

I went out for lunch today with an old friend which was lovely except when the lady on the table next to us started choking on her dinner

One of the people in her party started slapping her on the back but nothing happened. I could hear that she was still breathing, although it sounded quite whistly.

After the staff came over in a bit of a panic and went off to call an ambulance, I remembered that I'd read once that if the person can try and cough that might be enough to clear it. I mentioned it to her (and them) and thankfully on her second attempt to cough she managed to clear it and all was ok.

It made me think that I'm going to get myself on a first aid course. I did a paediatric one last year when DD was born, but you never know when it might come in handy.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum choked at whispering canyon cafe on some corn - luckily a doctor was eating there and ran over - he whacked her on the back and got her to cough at the same time - after a couple of attempts it freed the food - it was awful - it lasted about 90secs but seemed like it happened in slow motion. My bil was about to do the hiemlick (sp?) but the doctor said after they try to not do it as much now due to rib damage. Scary times x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Surely rib damage Is better than the alternative ?
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
My mum choked at whispering canyon cafe on some corn - luckily a doctor was eating there and ran over - he whacked her on the back and got her to cough at the same time - after a couple of attempts it freed the food - it was awful - it lasted about 90secs but seemed like it happened in slow motion. My bil was about to do the hiemlick (sp?) but the doctor said after they try to not do it as much now due to rib damage. Scary times x
How scary, I was shaky enough with it happening to a complete stranger, it would have been a million times worse if it had been someone I loved.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Surely rib damage Is better than the alternative ?
Perhaps they try the slapping back and coughing first and only use the Heimlich manoeuvre as a last resort?
Old 14 Jul 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

When I did first aid courses you do something like 5 coughs and 5 back slaps before abdominal thrusts, as you can course a fair amount of damage through that - but as you say better a bit of bruising then the alternative!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

Well done for stepping in and helping.

Often times people panic, they don't want to embarrass the other person, they feel their contribution isn't "enough", but as you showed today the fact you were able to remember that one bit of info and share it has helped that family immeasurably.

Well done you
Wonder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
Well done for stepping in and helping.

Often times people panic, they don't want to embarrass the other person, they feel their contribution isn't "enough", but as you showed today the fact you were able to remember that one bit of info and share it has helped that family immeasurably.

Well done you
Thank you. I was definitely hesitant to step in at first as I started doubting whether it was "proper" information that I remembered, or that I just made it up.

I think I'll definitely feel more confident if I feel I can help in the future, but hopefully I'll never be in a situation that requires it again!
Old 16 Jul 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

my son choked in Orlando 3 years ago. There was no breathing, no coughing, nothing. SlLaps to back didnt work, the restaurant manager came and performed the Heimlich and on the 2nd attempt it worked.

He was fine after although incredibly distressed. I spent a year self medicating with prescription pain killers and ultimately ended up with a diagnosis of PSTD. Some therapy later it still makes me cry when i think about it (like now) but the worst is over thank god.

Never ever worry about hurting someones ribs or back or anything. The alternative is death. Just hurt them and hurt them and hurt them till they live.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm a trained first aider and the course I took included going over what to do when babies and children choke.

The main issue people have, particularly towards children, is they don't want to hurt the person they are trying to help.

As Lemmonie says, a hurt person is better than a dead person.

A child or baby (or adult) can recover from a broken rib or punctured lung, but it's a lot harder to come back from the alternative.