Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Flesh eating bacteria in Florida

Anyone know about news of the flesh eating bacteria in Florida sea? Got stuck with Red Tide last year, now this this year...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Anyone know about news of the flesh eating bacteria in Florida sea? Got stuck with Red Tide last year, now this this year...
It isn't just Florida, it can occur in lots of places. The thing to remember is to not swim with any cuts or open wounds. This has been the advice for a long time.

Edited to say people with compromised immune systems should also avoid swimming in the sea.

Edited at 03:59 PM.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post

trouble is in the sea it can be sharp with the shells and easily cut a toe, that worries me but we do have beach shoes. Will have to inspect the DSs and DH before going to beach. I won't go in now as had chemo 2 years ago, not sure how long immune systems takes to recover.
Old 15 Jul 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Necrotising fasciitis is a particularly nasty infection -a friend banged his elbow on a shelf at work one afternoon, within 8hours he was in intensive care fighting for his life. If it wasn’t for a bright young doctor who recognised the signs and pumped him with antibiotics and surgeons who cut away infected flesh he wouldn’t be alive. Sorry to be graphic but it was dreadful.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Necrotising fasciitis is a particularly nasty infection -a friend banged his elbow on a shelf at work one afternoon, within 8hours he was in intensive care fighting for his life. If it wasn’t for a bright young doctor who recognised the signs and pumped him with antibiotics and surgeons who cut away infected flesh he wouldn’t be alive. Sorry to be graphic but it was dreadful.
Sounds awful. Will have to be vigilant I guess. We have a pool and hot tub so rather than in sea we can swim at villa. Just nice to let the DSs in the warm water but they will understand.
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
trouble is in the sea it can be sharp with the shells and easily cut a toe, that worries me but we do have beach shoes. Will have to inspect the DSs and DH before going to beach. I won't go in now as had chemo 2 years ago, not sure how long immune systems takes to recover.
I had chemo in 2014 for an auto-immune disease and have been on a low dose of steroids since then which is an immunosuppressant. My Dr's told me I would never view flu season the same again and should avoid even paddling in the sea, although I have paddled in Destin and also had the flu!

Hope you feel ok and have a fab time
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Yes we are heading on a cruise this summer and are just going to avoid the beaches altogether as we are immunosuppressed. Pity as the cruise heavily involves water activities off ship

Old 15 Jul 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
It isn't just Florida, it can occur in lots of places.
Sea temperatures need to be warm hence why you won’t have this problem swimming in the North Sea😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Sea temperatures need to be warm hence why you won’t have this problem swimming in the North Sea😀
Probably not, although there have been recent cases in New Jersey
Old 15 Jul 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

very very rare, the bacteria that causes it lives just about everywhere. It generally needs a wound and then someone to be immunocompromised to result in necrotising fasciitis. You're 3 times more likely to be bitten by a snake!
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List