Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Jan 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

We used Navmii on an iPhone last time. Just downloaded the florida map and used the phones GPS so no data charges. Worked really well
Old 18 Jan 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

You can now download the TOMTOM mobile app for andriod for free it allows you to drive 50 miles a month, you then pay £14.99 to upgrade for the year to drive unlimited miles and you can download any map you want, maps are updated 4 times a year free.
So you get an upto date satnav for a year for £15 or £34 for 3 years, you can renew as you like

You can use it on more than one device so Tablet and phone.

It is an excellent sat nav very quick
play.google/store/apps/d...ms.android.map
Old 18 Jan 17, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

just used my Samsung phone google maps app, I preloaded all the POIs months before we travelled.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Pavilion1983 View Post
We used Navmii on an iPhone last time. Just downloaded the florida map and used the phones GPS so no data charges. Worked really well
Hmm, we both have iphones on EE so may look at this before deciding whether to rent a sat nav through ebay. Thanks
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 17, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
simontimmins
Dancing with Tink'

Another vote for Navmii. Excellent free app.
simontimmins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

I Use co pilot, off line maps, so no data charges.

copilotgps/en-us/navigation/
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
pdw8
Trying for More Ears

We are renting a Tahoe and our package includes free sat nav. Assuming the Tahoe has sat nav built in would it be enabled?
pdw8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
If you get a hire car with built in sat nav it will be enabled. I've think we maybe had one vehicle with it but just used our Garmin.
We have a Garmin which has UK lifetime map updates, we added US Maps but have to update them.
I have to say the TomTom Android service looks good.

I also lend my Garmin to friends/family when they go across - for frequent visitors I would buy a US Sat Nav with lifetime maps.
Using the same one instead of a vehicle built in one, means you know how it works and you can preload all your favourites on it.

I would never be without a sat nav.

I bought Co-Pilot lifetime years ago but never got on with it - don't know if it still works on my phone!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
Hmm, we both have iphones on EE so may look at this before deciding whether to rent a sat nav through ebay. Thanks
I'm on EE as well but for peace of mind switched off Data. (even when on still no data charge) Navmii worked really well, the only other thing I did was to pre-loaded the addresses of all the places we were visiting. it just seemed a lot quicker when connected to Wifi
Old 20 Jan 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
The sat navs on ebay most of the time have maps that are outdated, there has been a lot of new roads laid in florida over recent years