Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jun 16, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Cheap extra free dining credits if you have under-9s

We're travelling in August, staying at OKW, with free DDP. We're a party of 3 adults, 1 13-y-o (essentially an adult) and a 6-y-o.

Whilst revisiting the ADRs we made at around the 180 day mark, I was considering making some changes and, possibly, adding some more. It struck me as slightly curious that I was only paying marginally less for my 6 year old but got significantly less.

By this, I mean his park ticket is only about £20 less than mine. I get full adult DDP and he gets child DDP. For the 14 table service meals, this is a significant difference. In cash terms, if buying DDP, the difference is $40 per day, so $560 (c£385) over the 14 night stay.

So, I called Disney and asked if we were able to 'upgrade' him to a 10-year-old so he could benefit from the full dining plan and I was told this was fine. A few minutes and £20 later, this was all done.

Now, we have 14 extra table service credits to use which we could use for a second Cali Grill dinner as well as a few other extra table service meals.

I want to stress I was completely transparent with Disney about what I was doing and why and they were perfectly happy with me doing this. It may be worth considering if you have under-9s in your group and are getting free dining.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This has been well documented on here.
Lots of people upgrade their kids to Disney adults to get adult dining credits.
However it only works if your Disney stay/tickets/dining plan are booked separately from your flight tickets, as th age on flight tickets a to match the age in passport.

QS and snack credits aren't differentiated anyway, so kids can order adult QS meals.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bucksmum View Post
This has been well documented on here.
Lots of people upgrade their kids to Disney adults to get adult dining credits.
Apologies - I've not been on here for months. That said, there is buckets of information repeated on here, so hopefully my post might help someone and/or give a memory jog to others.

However it only works if your Disney stay/tickets/dining plan are booked separately from your flight tickets, as th age on flight tickets a to match the age in passport.
Indeed we have. Upper Class here we come!

QS and snack credits aren't differentiated anyway, so kids can order adult QS meals.
I know, which is why I didn't mention Quick Service.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I did this in 2014, when my two were 7 & 9. It worked well, but be sure to tell your server as you are seated that the children are on an adult dinng plan. If you don't it will be assumed they are using child's credits and it mucks up the bill, which means you end up having to faff around at the end.
Remember that the child can still order off the children's menu, but pay with an adult credit. However the best use is to pay out of pocket for any child meals and then use the saved credits for an extra reservation.
Just to clarify to others, by upgrading a child to an adult you don't actually get 14 extra credits, it just means that the child table service credit that would show on your account is now actually showing as an adult table service credit.
I agree, for $20 it's well worth it. I have done it again for ds2 this year as ds1 is already over 10.

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sungiggs
Imagineer

sungiggs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did this last time and have done it again for our trip in July. We use the extra DDP credits for the adults for extra meals and pay out of pocket the the little one

sungiggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 16, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
It's one of our favourite tips we ever got from here. Thank-you Mossyflossy! We've done this for the last four years and stretched our credits to the limit. Only side effect is my 6 year old DD's addiction to the Signature restaurants Filet Mignon - she can rank Yachtsman, Narcosees and Le Cellier according to her very acquired tastes.
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 04:54 AM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

We are doing this this year. Our son is very excited that he is an 'adult!'
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm confused!

So if he had the child's DDP he would get TS. Credits?

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by Helenr View Post
I'm confused!

So if he had the child's DDP he would get TS. Credits?
Yes he would get child TS credits which buy something off the children's menu only which are worth around $8-$15. If they have an adult credit the TS meals are of a far greater value and then the adults in the party can use them (or the kids if they like the things on the menu). It allows me to double my ADR bookings as in several places such as the YM I will pay $10 for DS' pasta and then use the 2 Dining Credits which could be worth $70 somewhere else for us.
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 16, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Yes he would get child TS credits which buy something off the children's menu only which are worth around $8-$15. If they have an adult credit the TS meals are of a far greater value and then the adults in the party can use them (or the kids if they like the things on the menu). It allows me to double my ADR bookings as in several places such as the YM I will pay $10 for DS' pasta and then use the 2 Dining Credits which could be worth $70 somewhere else for us.
That's similar to what we will do. We now have 70 adult TS credits (being 14 * 5) instead of the 56 (14*4) we originally had.

We already have one Cali Grill meal booked, but we're going to do a second now, as well as add in a couple more TS meals, all of which will now be paid for with credits instead of cash.

My son will nearly always eat from the kids' menu so we'll pay cash for him whilst 'borrowing' those adult credits he is now due!

Part One
Part Two
Closed Thread