Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 9 Nov 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
If you went to Japan, where tipping is considered rude, would you force them to accept a tip? Obviously not.

So - same thing. Abide by the culture of the place you are in, even if you think it is silly.

Tipping in the US is not an optional extra like in the UK. It is literally an essential part of the person’s wages, that they then have to pay other staff out of. If you don’t tip, you are literally taking away money from their pay packet.

I have never had bad service in the US, but if I did I would raise it with the manager and give them a chance to put things right.
Actually legally if the server doesn’t make their tips the owner is required to make their salary up by law.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Iluvholidays
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I try and avoid tip discussions however my last few wdw trips I have really noticed that in some of the restaurants within Disney Brits including myself have been treated differently then other nationalities in restaurants, at first I thought perhaps I was imagining it however on at least 4 occasions on my last visit it felt very evident.

We always leave our 20% tip it’s just what we are used to doing and factor it into our expenses for a wdw holiday.

On our last holiday, my daughter was very excited to tell a server it was her dads birthday, the table next to us not from England also had a birthday, our server came out with a card for the next table drinks and food and we still had nothing (we arrived the same time and the meal was family style) at the end of the meal they got a birthday cupcake, we got nothing other then slow poor service, we left a tip (20%) we then left the restaurant the server then came out to us and called my daughter over, he then gave her a card, badge and cupcake to take away to give to her dad. Could just be a coincidence but I definitely felt like we were treated differently.

When we left a tip at the Akushurs the server bless her told us it was to much and asked if we wanted her to keep it all and it was again the 20%.
Iluvholidays is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I cant say that I have particularly noticed we have had poor service due to being recognised as British, but, we have often noticed a mood change in the server dependant on what we have ordered.

There are only two of us and never order alcohol, I don't drink ever and OH wont drink due to driving. I am veggie to don't order high priced steaks, seafood etc. equally we are not big eaters and never order starters or deserts so we are not big earners for the server and that has been noticeable
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post

There’s a very interesting long thread on tipping from a couple of months ago. Good debate and information- long thread but worth a read particularly from page 5 onwards

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1142544
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Debating whether to do breakfast at calli grill,there will be 5 adults, 4 year old and 2 year old, what sort of tip will we be looking at, I will be treating everyone, I know some people say if you can’t afford the tip you shouldn’t do it. I just have to make the decision as our adr opens up next week, if we did it I was thinking about memorial Sunday to miss the crowds at mk fireworks. What would you do.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nannad View Post
Debating whether to do breakfast at calli grill,there will be 5 adults, 4 year old and 2 year old, what sort of tip will we be looking at, I will be treating everyone, I know some people say if you can’t afford the tip you shouldn’t do it. I just have to make the decision as our adr opens up next week, if we did it I was thinking about memorial Sunday to miss the crowds at mk fireworks. What would you do.
I have just looked at California Grill brunch (is that what you mean?) its $95 per adult and $56 for your 4yr old, 2 yr old free, but as you are a party over 6 you will have the automatic service charge added, if at 18% the 'tip/service charge' will be around $95 or at 20% $106 that's just for your meal - any drinks would be extra on top with extra tip/service charge added to that

I can't believe I am reading that right with those prices so happy to be corrected if I am wrong. That to me is a crazy amount and you would never get me paying that amount of tip - actually I would never pay $95 for a brunch but that's another thread.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you so much for your reply, I actually don’t think I could bring myself to tip £100 dollars, think I will do something else instead, think I just needed to see it in black and white. I haven’t got a problem tipping, but I think this is a bit over the top. I know from reading previous threads dibbers love it, and that’s why I thought of going.

Edited at 11:56 AM.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

The brunch is a really luxury meal though. I have seen YouTube videos of it, and it would be for a very special occasion.

If you just wanted a normal brunch somewhere in WDW, there are plenty of less expensive options.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

It's a personal decesion. I would suggest it isn't really worth the two credits and that tip. Better options out there overall. You could have two meals somewhere else instead.

But if you want a mega treat then go for it

We are on the deluxe plan next time and we are doing. I think tips will come in around £1000 lol eeekk

Edited at 12:28 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We always tip 18 or 20% and have never had poor service. As for saying the Americans don’t tip as much, I have to say I do not find that to be true. My fil is married to an American woman and they live in Salt Lake City. When we visit them and also travel down to Vegas to visit mil family, they all tip minimum 15% and is server is really good 20%. So going by that I think most Americans DO tip well, unless poor service - server tipped a whole dessert over fil in one place this summer, they comped his meal, but he still left a tip.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List