Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Nov 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Philadelphia

DH and I have just returned from 5 days in Washington. We really enjoyed it and we are now looking at other US cities to visit. We are looking at Philadelphia next May. This will be new to us so looking for any advice on places to stay, length of visit. We have done a little research but nothing compares to advice from those that have visited. At the moment we are looking at 5 nights, please bear in mind that neither of us wish to drive and we are looking at 4 or 5 star hotels. Thanking you in advance.
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

It was 10 years ago we visited Philadelphia but thoroughly enjoyed our 4 days between New York and Washington time. The whole city is based on historic foundations including some restaurants whose menu is based on the 1700 food at the time of the Declaration. We stayed at the PENN’S VIEW Hotel was really good and walking distance to everything.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We stayed at the Marriott downtown, which was a lovely hotel (and huge). It's right opposite Reading Terminal (worth going into), and a short walk to Liberty Bell, Independance Hall etc.
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
We stayed at the Marriott downtown, which was a lovely hotel (and huge). It's right opposite Reading Terminal (worth going into), and a short walk to Liberty Bell, Independance Hall etc.
I have stayed there too. Although I loved the hotel I didn’t feel the same about Philadelphia at all and have no wish to return. It had a very run down at heal feel about it and I found the city depressing (I visited 11 years ago so it may have changed - hopefully for the better!)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have stayed there too. Although I loved the hotel I didn’t feel the same about Philadelphia at all and have no wish to return. It had a very run down at heal feel about it and I found the city depressing (I visited 11 years ago so it may have changed - hopefully for the better!)
I felt the same way actually. We visited in 2017.

I liked the old bits for the history. Visiting Independance Hall was brilliant. But the rest of the city felt really cramped and dirty. The traffic and pollution was bad. I've no desire to return either.

IMHO it's worth a visit for a night or two to see the nice historical bits, but that's enough.

We left Philly and went to Washington DC which was fab. Would happily go back there.
Old 13 Nov 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Oh no, that doesn’t sound good. We really enjoyed Washington and hoped Philly would be similar.
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shysarah View Post
Oh no, that doesn’t sound good. We really enjoyed Washington and hoped Philly would be similar.
It is certainly nothing like Washington DC. I have worked there and it has a special place in my heart - as does much of USA but not Philly. There really isnt much to see and do there which you can’t cover in a half day or so IMHO - it’s a very industrial city and I guess for some that’s an attraction but unlike open clean spaces and loads of art and culture in a city break so if you have done Washington, New York and Boston how about Chicago or Denver colarado ? I found them both to be amazing - clean, safe and loads to do and via foot

Edited at 11:18 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 04:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Some things we want to do in Philadelphia:
Franklin Institute (science museum my children want to see)
Rodin Museum
Edgar Allan Poe house (son rates his poetry)
lunch at Reading Terminal Market
tour Independence Hall (where they signed the Declaration of Independence)
tour of Eastern State Penitentiary (who doesn't love a 19th century prison? ) -- If we can go around Halloween, I hear they do a brilliant "scare house" type interactive experience
**And I cannot forget one more thing. We would see a Curtis Institute of Music performance. Maybe their orchestra at the Kimmel Center?

I would stay in the Club Quarters Hotel, as I have heard that is the hotel of choice for the airlines (pilots etc). Friends have stayed at the Warwick and had a positive experience.

Edited at 04:27 AM. Reason: one more thing
sunshines is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you been to Boston?

I did enjoy Philly but there are places I'd put ahead of it. Toronto, Savannah, New orleans to name a few.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Mobile

We did 2 nights .stayed at Alexander inn .great hotel and you get discounted parking near by as its pretty pricey to park .
It was more than enough time and agree with above it was dirty and busy in parts .
Definitely dont need 5 days
We went on to lancaster for amish country Gettysburg DC and Annapolis which were much nicer

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List