Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Nov 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Charlie's First WDW Adventure - Sep/Oct 2019 - Travel Day

Index can be found here

Saturday 28th September

My alarm went off bright and early at 6am… travel day was finally here! Despite my extreme excitement I did allow myself one hit of the snooze button, it was still early after all!

On getting out of bed I had a quick peek out of the window… it had been dark on arriving last night and I hadn’t noticed our stunning view… Gatwick North multi-storey car park everyone. You are welcome.

I set about getting myself ready and packing all the overnight things back up. At some point along the way Paul and Charlie also woke up (my notes are very vague, as you can imagine it was a rather rushed morning of getting up and out!). By 7:10am we were all set and ready to go! We had a knock on the door from Joan and John, they were in the room next door and were all set. Let’s get going!

Luckily the wait for the lifts wasn’t too painful and soon enough we were out of the Premier Inn and making our way up the moving walkway into the North Terminal.

I have to say again how lovely it is doing twilight check-in the night before and starting travel day without the hassle of having to offload all your check-in cases. I cannot recommend it enough!

As mentioned on pre-travel day, we did have to make a brief stop at the Virgin desks to have the pushchair tagged. We stopped by one of the empty upper class desks so were assisted straight away and within minutes the pushchair bag was tagged up and ready to go. As we left the Virgin check-in area Paul and I both picked up a complimentary apple juice… because who can resist a freebie?! (I am assuming these are for any passengers, not just upper class!)

We made our way directly over to security and on approaching we were directed to the family assistance area. I must admit previous to this I had no idea there was another channel to go through! But it was all very calm and relaxed which was nice, having a child in your party certainly has its uses at times!

Pretty soon after we were through and making the walk through duty free with one thing on our minds… breakfast! We headed straight to the Red Lion (a Wetherspoon’s) and were greeted with a rather long queue outside. We were concerned it would be a long wait for a table so Paul headed off to investigate other options whilst Joan joined the queue to find out how long the wait for a table would be. The queue was nothing to worry about, within 10 minutes Joan had made it to the desk at the front and we were able to seated straight away. I gave Paul a quick call to let him know and shortly after we were all sat down with menus in hand. I had kept the colouring from last night to hand so pulled that out to keep Charlie occupied whilst we waited.

After a quick browse of the menu Paul and John headed up to order our food whilst Joan and I waited at the table with Charlie.

I have failed again on recording what food was eaten… although I know I definitely had pancakes (what else?!). I am pretty sure I ordered Charlie scrambled egg on toast. All delicious, you can’t go wrong with a Wetherspoon’s breakfast!

On finishing up our food Charlie started to get a little fidgety so Joan and I decided to take him out for a wander whilst Paul and John finished up their food. I think this photo perfectly summarises my excitement compared to Charlie’s… forever the embarrassing Mum!

First stop on making it out of the Red Lion was Boots. Whilst I had heard the kids meal on Virgin would most likely be pasta (which Charlie loves) I was still keen to pick up a sandwich to take onboard with us just in case in case they served up something he didn’t want to eat. I also picked up a bottle of water, a pot of melon (another of Charlie’s favourites!) and some energy tables.

On leaving Boots Paul and John had reappeared and time was running away from us… is it just me or does airport time seem to move at double speed?! Despite being there 3 hours before our flight every time we also seem to end up rushing around to pick up the last things we need before heading to the gate! I made a quick dash into W H Smiths to pick up a Peppa Pig magazine for Charlie… this ended up being worth every penny just for the little plastic toys and the stickers that came with it!

With all the last minute shopping done there was nothing else to do but to start heading to the gate! I did stop briefly to get Paul to take a photo of me modelling my new t-shirt, quite apt for travel day I thought!

As we made our way through to the gate we stopped to have a look at the planes, Charlie was very excited at this point! He has flown before but was 6 months old at the time so I’m pretty sure he doesn’t remember that! It also allowed for a great shot of his travel day t-shirt too!

On making it to the gate we all started to make our way through effortlessly until John handed over his passport and found out he had been randomly selected for extra security checks! Now ordinarily this would have been a bit annoying given it meant extra time waiting around with a wriggly toddler but what made it a million times worse is that John had kindly wheeled through both mine and Paul’s carry-on suitcases and as a result both of those plus his own travel bag would now have to be searched. This was a painful process I have to say as he was left waiting for a considerable amount of time before he was even seen by one of the security people. Now I know this checks have to be made and I am very thankful that they take such precautions but at the time when trying to entertain a bored Charlie in a narrow room with nothing but some chairs it certainly was a test of patience!

Anyway enough grumbling on that front, eventually John was all checked and ready to go… onward to the plane we went (making a quick stop at the entrance to fold down the pushchair and pop it into the travel bag). Soon enough we were on board and making our way down to our seats. I had booked a row of three for Paul, Charlie and I (despite being under 2 and not needing a seat I had booked him one regardless as the prospect of a 9 hour flight with him on our laps was far from appealing!) and then Joan and John had the middle and aisle seat directly in front of us.

We quickly got ourselves settled and asked for a belt extender for Charlie for take-off (despite having his own seat he still had to be on one of our laps for take-off/landing due to being under 2).

Charlie was pretty happy at this point, although we did end up sitting on the tarmac for quite a while so ended up getting the iPad out and entertaining him with a bit of Peppa Pig whilst we waited for taking off.

Finally an hour later than scheduled we took off. Charlie was an absolute angel and barely even looked up from Peppa Pig!

After about 10 minutes of being in the air Charlie nodded off, well that was easier than I expected! Clearly the early start and all the excitement of being at the airport had taken it’s toll!

Also around this time the inconsiderate bum wipe in front of me decided to fully recline his chair. Now I won’t start a discussion here about seat reclining on flights, but seriously… we had been in the air a matter of minutes on a daytime flight! I was somewhat agitated to say the least! (So much so that I felt the need to take a photo of the situation!)

With Charlie asleep on my lap and his seat fully reclined I was dealing with very limited space so I made the move across to the middle seat to make life a little more comfortable! I was feeling extra relieved we had that extra seat! Anyway… cue excited ‘we’re on our way to Orlando’ selfie…

With Charlie sleeping soundly I took the opportunity to start watching a film and opted for Little (a light-hearted comedy seemed like a good choice!). It was also around this time that dinner was served up… I was a little unsure how I was going to manage eating with Charlie asleep on my lap!

I needn’t have worried though as very shortly after we hit a little bit of turbulence so the seatbelt signs come on… which also meant I had to get the seatbelt extended around Charlie too! Not ideal and whilst trying to get it on him he woke up! Bah there went my quiet time watching a film (just to confirm, I never did get any further with the film, the first 20 minutes or so was good though!)

With Charlie now awake I moved him over to the window seat (annoying man still fully reclined) and pulled back out the iPad to keep him entertained whilst I scoffed down my dinner. I had the macaroni cheese, sadly no photos, sorry! Charlie’s kids meal had also came round which was tomato pasta and despite it being his favourite he didn’t eat much (I think he was still feeling very much out of sorts and also very tired after having his nap disturbed.

At this point it was time to delve into the Trunki and start working through the supply of entertainment I had put together for Charlie to get us through this long flight. We started with the water magic book which he loved! He has an Aquadoodle mat at home, these pad versions are a fantastic smaller version that are perfect for travelling with!

Next up a Peppa Pig surprise box! Basically a plastic box with little drawers that have Peppa themed surprises in! This actually kept him entertained for quite a while as he liked putting the things back in and out of the drawers. An easy win for £4.99!

Out next was a sticker book, again an easy win! Charlie wasn’t able to peel them off himself but was happy with me peeling them and passing them over for him to stick down.

Just to check in on Paul… happily watching a film!

Next came out the crayons and colouring book (Disney themed, naturally)

The Trunki was well stocked as you can see… next to come out was the mini magnetic drawing pad. This was again a winner and something we always took out and about with us throughout the holiday as was a good distractor at dinners or when waiting in queues! Paul also enjoyed this one, although as you can see his drawing skills are not much to be desired!

Charlie was starting to get very tired at this point so I pulled him onto my lap for a cuddle and some gabs on the iPad. He also spent some time sitting with Paul too (feeling poorly had made him very clingy to me throughout the journey so despite Paul, Joan and John’s best efforts he ultimately spent the majority of the journey with me).

At around 5pm Charlie fell back to sleep on my lap.

Annoyingly he only managed to have an hour or so as at around 6pm the seatbelt light came back on so he woke again with the shuffle of trying to get the belt around him!

Not long later tea was served. I was glad I had picked up that sandwich in Boots as they didn’t offer a kids version and although I can’t remember what was in the sandwich they offered up I know it wasn’t very toddler friendly! He happily munched on the ham sandwich and melon though!

At this point we were on the home stretch but man it had felt like a long flight. Whilst Charlie had been very good, it was quite a change from normal flight behaviour of sitting watching films and chilling out!

It was exciting to start the descent into Orlando and Charlie enjoyed looking out the window… his very first glimpse of the USA! Oh and to confirm it was only at this point the man in front finally put his seat back to upright. I shall refrain from repeating the words I used to describe him at the time, this is a family site after all!

We landed at 7:45pm (UK time) and then began the long and painful process of getting out of the airport… now I won’t dwell on the nightmare that is MCO immigration hall, but dear lord that was a painful hour and a half! In reality we have probably had longer queues on past trips but navigating through that queue with an over-tired, grumpy toddler and no pushchair was absolutely horrendous! At one point I took him out of the queue to have a wonder to the toilets with me just to let him stretch his legs a bit! Everyone around us was so friendly and really kind in trying to keep him cheerful, people truly are wonderful it has to be said. I do find it quite ironic that the trip to the happiest place on earth starts with a journey through the most miserable place on earth!

We did eventually make it to the front of the queue and after a brief chat with the security officer were through to baggage reclaim. I left the others collecting the suitcase and took Charlie to go and retrieve the pushchair. The car seat was also in the same area but I was unable to carry it on my own whilst pushing Charlie in the pushchair so Paul came and grabbed that after all the suitcases had been recovered.

At this point with all our suitcase, the car seat and the pushchair accounted for we made our way out of baggage reclaim and were then faced with second bag drop! Now I have seen many posts complaining about second bag drop and recommending to avoid at all costs but in all our previous trips I had never even noticed it (probably as we have never needed it when travelling with much less baggage!). It now had become unavoidable… I was unaware that you aren’t allowed to take trolleys out of the hall and with 5 large suitcases, 3 carry-on suitcases, a Trunki, a pushchair and a car seat we had no choice but to offload our luggage with them with the promise we could collect it at the other end. Bah!

With much less luggage in tow we made our way up the escalators and out to the monorail. Despite all being very exhausted spirits were still super high… we were so close to being out now!

On making it to the main terminal Paul and John went off to work out where we collected our bags from (at this point we were unaware it would take a good hour and a half for everything to make its way across… totally understanding now why people avoided second bag drop at all costs!). Whilst they were gone I had a wander around with Charlie… he was particularly excited by the giant picture of the Toy Story aliens and the fountains!

Paul and John soon returned with news of the wait on the luggage so in the meantime we decided to go and sort the car. Over to the car hire section of the airport and to the Hertz desk. Paul sorted all of this swiftly and pretty soon we reunited with all our bags and were making our way out to the garage to collect the car.

Paul had chosen a Dodge Grand Caravan GT (we had similar on our West Cost road trip a couple of years before and knew it was very spacious!) and before long we were all loaded up and ready to go (6pm Orlando time)… lets get this holiday started! The first song we heard on the radio was Lewis Capaldi Someone You Loved and this turned out to be a song we heard repeatedly throughout the trip and will forever more remind me of this holiday!

It was a smooth journey over to Storey Lake (hats off to Paul as always for his effortless navigation skills!) and by 6:45pm we were pulling up outside our villa.

On making our way inside I made a quick dash around each room to take photos whilst it was still lovely and tidy (it wouldn’t stay this way for long!). Wow, it was beautiful! We had been drawn into it by how modern it looked in the photos (quite unusual for villas in Orlando I am sure you will agree) and in the flesh it was even more stunning! Villa photo spam incoming…

Charlie made himself at home very quickly once we found YouTube on the living room TV… there really is no escaping Peppa Pig!

At this point (7:50pm) Paul, Joan and John headed out to Walmart to pick up the essentials. I had opted to stay back at the villa and get Charlie down to bed as it had been such a long day for him and I was conscious how late it was in UK time! After waving them off I took him up to the room we had claimed and got him ready for bed. Now on booking the villa we had found out that to hire a travel cot would be $40 per week (so $80 in total). This seemed a little steep as I knew we would be able to pick up a travel cot in Walmart for around $50 fro we opted for that option and it had been one of the things added to the list for the rest of them to pick up whilst out. So with no cot to put him in I put him down on our bed (it was huge, he looked completely lost in it!). By 8pm he was fast asleep!

With Charlie sleeping soundly I began unpacking and getting things sorted for the next day. I loved how much storage there was… I am always jealous of the huge wardrobes that all Orlando villas seem to have!

The rest of the gang returned at 10:10pm with plenty of food but no travel cot! They had been unsure of the size of the ones available so had decided to leave it with the intention for me to go with Paul to find one the next day. For tonight we decided to just have Charlie in bed with us, let’s face it the bed was big enough! Another thing that I had asked Paul to pick up was a hairdryer… having crazy curly hair I have to use a diffuser and as most hotels and villas never supply one of these I generally always take my own but the wattage in the US is always awful so this year I had decided to just buy one out there… a bargain at $19 and it turned out to be really good! It has come home with us and will be used for all future trips to the States!

As well as a hairdryer they had also brought back something most exciting… a McDonalds strawberry milkshake! Now any readers of my previous trips will know all about the obsession Paul and I have with these milkshakes, they are amazing! Such a great way to end travel day, delicious!

Despite it now being 11:10pm (4:10am UK time!) Paul, Joan and John next headed out to Disney Springs as they wanted to pick up magic bands ready for our first trip to Disney the next day. After they left I headed straight to bed, I was exhausted (and was actually quite relieved to be missing this excursion, bed was definitely calling!). After getting into PJs, removing make-up and brushing my teeth I climbed into bed next to sleeping Charlie and was very soon sound asleep too (and was oblivious to the other returning later that night!)

So that there ends a very long travel day! In reflection it actually went very smoothly and Charlie was so well behaved… we were so proud of him! Join me for the next instalment which will see us spending our very first day at Magic Kingdom!

Day 1 can be found here

Edited at 04:17 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Charlie is such a trooper what a super star- no wonder you were knackered though, never mind the travelling - all that entertaining a toddler!

That magnetic board looks fab - no need to replenish books or pens!

I cannot believe your wait for the bags - an hour and a half?!?!?! We defo will have to do it. After that immigration queue too - dismal!

Villa looks gorgeous must get the details off you.

All in all, a successful travel day xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Charlie seemed to cope really well, I could do with a Trunki full of toys for the plane for me! I bet that was a much different long haul flight than you’re used to.

Second bag drop sounds a nightmare, I dread the day we have to use it.

That is a serious achievement going to Disney Springs at that time on travel day!

Can’t wait to read more.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Charlie did SO well on the flight, what a wee star! Peppa Pig always helps of course! Abi will drop anything when it’s on! Lol! Oh and his wee travel T-shirt is adorable!

Ohhh the bad recliner! Not acceptable on day flights at all! Boo hiss to that dude!

Omg the second bag drop! Never ever! We really struggled to manage with Chris’s clubs and our luggage, but there was no way we were waiting! Haha!

Your villa looks lovely and what a cute wee pool!

Charlie looked so comfy on that massive bed, bless!

Ahh the first McDonald’s milkshake! Haha! I always think of you whenever I see a photo of one!

Can’t believe they all went out to Disney Springs so late! Nutters!

Can’t wait to read day 1! Xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYNIC
Excited about Disney

Nice smooth travel day. You must have felt really cramped holding Charlie and being reclined on. I had this on our flight in October. Day time flight and she was in extra leg room seat so had all the space in front of her and still moved in to mine - not even putting seat up for tea. I really hate this - we never recline out of principle even on a night flight.

Villa looks lovely - love the Mickey room!

Trip Report October/November 2019:-
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1150263
DISNEYNIC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sound like an easy travel day with a toddler! Love the look of the villa.

Looking forward to reading more.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Charlie is such a trooper what a super star- no wonder you were knackered though, never mind the travelling - all that entertaining a toddler!

That magnetic board looks fab - no need to replenish books or pens!

I cannot believe your wait for the bags - an hour and a half?!?!?! We defo will have to do it. After that immigration queue too - dismal!

Villa looks gorgeous must get the details off you.

All in all, a successful travel day xx
The villa truly was gorgeous, I would definitely recommend it! I just wish we had more time there to really make the most of it!

I think that second bag drop is unavoidable when travelling with such young children that need so much stuff… the wait time to get everything back again did come as a bit of a shock though I have to say!

Originally Posted by Kd0758 View Post
Charlie seemed to cope really well, I could do with a Trunki full of toys for the plane for me! I bet that was a much different long haul flight than you’re used to.

Second bag drop sounds a nightmare, I dread the day we have to use it.

That is a serious achievement going to Disney Springs at that time on travel day!

Can’t wait to read more.
Haha the Trunki was a life saver… so glad I came armed with so many activities as it made the whole journey much more manageable… there is only so long we can keep him entertained with Peppa Pig on the iPad! I have to admit I did miss the ability to chill out and watch a couple of films though!

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Charlie did SO well on the flight, what a wee star! Peppa Pig always helps of course! Abi will drop anything when it’s on! Lol! Oh and his wee travel T-shirt is adorable!

Ohhh the bad recliner! Not acceptable on day flights at all! Boo hiss to that dude!

Omg the second bag drop! Never ever! We really struggled to manage with Chris’s clubs and our luggage, but there was no way we were waiting! Haha!

Your villa looks lovely and what a cute wee pool!

Charlie looked so comfy on that massive bed, bless!

Ahh the first McDonald’s milkshake! Haha! I always think of you whenever I see a photo of one!

Can’t believe they all went out to Disney Springs so late! Nutters!

Can’t wait to read day 1! Xxx
Peppa Pig for the win! She is an annoying little thing but she certainly has her uses at times!

Still angry thinking about that recliner, what a douche bag. I hope he caught a cold and had a snotty time in Orlando!

Day 1 coming soon I promise!

Originally Posted by DISNEYNIC View Post
Nice smooth travel day. You must have felt really cramped holding Charlie and being reclined on. I had this on our flight in October. Day time flight and she was in extra leg room seat so had all the space in front of her and still moved in to mine - not even putting seat up for tea. I really hate this - we never recline out of principle even on a night flight.

Villa looks lovely - love the Mickey room!
I hate to moan about people reclining but it is so inconsiderate, he was well aware I had a child on my lap and didn’t even sleep whilst being reclined the whole journey! Such selfish behavior, I wish airlines would just take away the ability for people to recline at all!

That Mickey room was so gorgeous, I want that mural wallpaper for Charlie’s playroom at home now!

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Sound like an easy travel day with a toddler! Love the look of the villa.

Looking forward to reading more.
It was smoother than I was expecting I have to say, Charlie was a little trooper!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDawns
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Loving reading your report. We go with our boys in April, they’ll be almost 4 and 2 by then. Didn’t Charlie do amazingly well on the flight, fingers crossed we have the same luck! Where did you get the Peppa Pig surprise box from?
DisneyDawns is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDawns View Post
Loving reading your report. We go with our boys in April, they’ll be almost 4 and 2 by then. Didn’t Charlie do amazingly well on the flight, fingers crossed we have the same luck! Where did you get the Peppa Pig surprise box from?
The Peppa Pig surprise box was from Amazon (and on a quick check they are now only £4!). I have seen them in supermarkets too but for the full price of £10 and I have to say they aren't really worth that much!

So exciting your trip is coming up so soon, I hope the planing is going well!
Old 21 Nov 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow! Awesome travel day... it was very long but really went very smoothly for you all.

Charlie is an absolute superstar isn’t he, can’t believe how well he did traveling on such a long trip. I’ve got loads of tips from you guys now with all the little goodies you had for him to play with. We had one of those Magnetic Peppa boards and his favourite thing when we had a 4hr train ride was reusable stickers and boards (Galt on Amazon) he absolutely loved them and they took ages.
Grrrr to the inconsiderate recliner... I recline sometimes and think everyone should be able to but the entire flight is a bit much and not very considerate!

I could feel your excitement once you were through the other side and collecting your luggage! I really need to get back to Orlando Paris will have to do in the short term though while I’m doing my degree.

That villa is stunning, really gorgeous. We always stay in hotels but might be a villa next visit.

I’m so envious of Charlie going into his sleeping bag for bed! Thomas abandoned all baby items as soon as he turned one - sleeping bags, bottles, cot (not that he ever really liked the cot! Lol) Proper little boy...they grow up so fast don’t they xx
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List