Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Nov 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Virgin air miles upgrade help!

We booked our flights today with virgin and are hoping to use air miles to upgrade to premium economy.

We haven’t ever done this before and the guy I spoke to on the phone said that they hadn’t been released yet.

Is anyone able to give me an idiots guide to searching for and booking reward upgrades just so I know where to search?

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Not sure if its the same but when I booked my flights there was button near the flight that was eligible for upgrade, when you clicked it it gave the option for upgrading or bidding, mine was only for the return flight (I did upgrade using money) but still nothing available for outward joruney yet, so was told to keep an eye on manage my booking
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lesleyjane66
Excited about Disney

log onto virgin Atlantic and see if you're able to book the flight you want with miles rather than money, you should be able to upgrade over the phone then if they're there
lesleyjane66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Mobile

I can see flight to purchase with miles but I think that is as a cash equivalent rather than a reward flight? When I booked the flight i called them and they said the reward upgrades/flights hadn’t been released yet

Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
I can see flight to purchase with miles but I think that is as a cash equivalent rather than a reward flight? When I booked the flight i called them and they said the reward upgrades/flights hadn’t been released yet
Sorry - I can see economy miles seats but not premium. The flights were only available to book a few days ago so hopefully it’s just that they haven’t been loaded up yet

Old 8 Nov 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Smashbutt
Getting Excited

Mobile

It’s one of those things you just need to keep checking...

I’m after a points upgrade for a return from Seattle next Feb.

A random 1 prem eco seat appeared the other day and then got snapped up

It all just seems a bit random.

Fingers crossed for you 🤞👍
Smashbutt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Keep calling them, say maybe every week or two. This is always the best way that I have found, they are very patient and if you get one of their better agents they will spend ages finding you a great deal. When we booked our flights for Xmas (only 3 weeks ago, it was a fairly last minute thing) I spent an hour on the phone with flying club and we are able to go upper to JFK, premium down to MCO with Virgin from LHR for not much more than the premium price showing on the comparison sites by using our miles. The agent was really patient and went out of her way to be helpful and look up all the different options, I have always found them so much nicer on the phone than on the chat feature and if you get a good agent they can make a big difference.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

First make sure you have actually booked an 'upgradable' flight to start with as you mentioned there was an upgrade using money above, that may be due to the fact that you dont have an upgradable by miles ticket?
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
First make sure you have actually booked an 'upgradable' flight to start with as you mentioned there was an upgrade using money above, that may be due to the fact that you dont have an upgradable by miles ticket?
I told the Agent that I spoke to my plan and have booked economy classic so he confirmed that it was ungradeable if some reward seats become available.

On further looking it seems like it’s possible to book economy reward flights on our flight but not PE or UC at the moment. Hopefully that means that they haven’t released any yet and will do son, rather than just don’t bother!

Old 9 Nov 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
I told the Agent that I spoke to my plan and have booked economy classic so he confirmed that it was ungradeable if some reward seats become available.

On further looking it seems like it’s possible to book economy reward flights on our flight but not PE or UC at the moment. Hopefully that means that they haven’t released any yet and will do son, rather than just don’t bother!
The PE outgoing seats look like they are loading relatively consistently up until 2nd September (LGW>MCO) flights at the moment. I generally check each day at 8am and see what changes there have been to get an idea of the daily reward seat availability patterns. In short, if PE loads for 3rd September tomorrow at 8am, then you probabaly have a couple of weeks to wait until your date for PE. Doesn't look like there's much coming back at the moment though.