Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Nov 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Alohomora
Getting Excited

Just Booked - Payment Query

Good evening all

I am so excited as we have just booked to return next year. We got a really good price and I literally cannot wait.

However, in light of recent events with TC and people being covered financially by credit cards etc, I wonder if anybody knows what happens when we have to pay by bank transfer. The company are ABTA bonded but would I have any come back if I don't use my credit card?

The agents I have booked with have asked for the balance by direct transfer and I admit in my excitement, I didn't realise this.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Alohomora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Is the company ATOL protected?

If you weren’t ATOL protected you wouldn’t have any comeback with a bank transfer. Section 75 would apply to credit cards and chargeback to debit cards. Nothing for bank transfer.

That said, I’d be quite wary about using a company that asked for money with bank transfers...

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
danny68
Apprentice Imagineer

danny68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Have you checked the company on the ABTA website to make sure they are legit?

Payment being insisted just by Bank Transfer is a red flag as this is the way that fraudsters tend to take take payment as there is no charge back option.

There is a list of a number of companies that are using the ABTA logo on their website but are not bonded.

If they are bonded then you are protected if they went belly up, it would just take longer to get your money back that via a CC.

Financial protection:

Package holidays sold to you in the European Economic Area (EEA) by ABTA Members are financially protected so that if your travel company fails, you’ll be able to continue your holiday as planned or get your money back. Package holidays that are for less than 24 hours, or are for business travel, may not be protected.
2008 Port Orleans Riverside
2015 Terra Verde & RPR

Edited at 10:43 PM.
danny68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

The only time I’d use bank transfer is to friends and family. I wouldn’t pay a company that way, especially a large amount for a holiday.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
I understand that if you have paid the deposit by credit card, then you are still covered by credit card protections even if the balance is paid differently.

We've done this with Charter and they were great (didn't have any need to use credit card protection though)

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Who have you booked with?

I pay business bills every day using bacs but in these cases goods/service have already been received. I wouldn't ever pay a private transaction by bank transfer when I've still to receive the contracted service
BarryL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
danny68
Apprentice Imagineer

danny68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Originally Posted by Custancia View Post
I understand that if you have paid the deposit by credit card, then you are still covered by credit card protections even if the balance is paid differently.

We've done this with Charter and they were great (didn't have any need to use credit card protection though)
Yes this is correct, a good explanation is provided on the Money Advice Website

moneyadviceservice.u...ou-pay-by-card
2008 Port Orleans Riverside
2015 Terra Verde & RPR
danny68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alohomora View Post
Good evening all

I am so excited as we have just booked to return next year. We got a really good price and I literally cannot wait.

However, in light of recent events with TC and people being covered financially by credit cards etc, I wonder if anybody knows what happens when we have to pay by bank transfer. The company are ABTA bonded but would I have any come back if I don't use my credit card?

The agents I have booked with have asked for the balance by direct transfer and I admit in my excitement, I didn't realise this.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reading between the lines here... if you have booked the deposit on CC then you will still have full protection if you pay the balance bank transfer.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

The chance I would pay thousands for a holiday via bank transfer would be somewhere between never and ever...

I think it says something about the company...

You want to at least pay part of it using a credit card I would suggest...

Paying a deposit by credit card
You don’t need to pay the full price by credit card as paying a deposit is enough to get you the legal protection.

For example, if you bought something costing £200 but paid a deposit of £20 on your credit card and the rest by other means you’d still be covered and you would be able to claim the whole £200 (and not just the deposit) from your credit card company if the goods didn’t arrive or were faulty.

You’re also not limited to the cash price of the items.

If you could claim from the supplier for additional expenses (e.g. postage) or consequential losses (e.g. damage caused by a faulty item), you have a like claim against the credit card company.

Edited at 12:07 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree also. I would never pay a balance for a holiday via BACs. To many risks, including a typo.

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
The chance I would pay thousands for a holiday via bank transfer would be somewhere between never and ever...

I think it says something about the company...

You want to at least pay part of it using a credit card I would suggest...

Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List