Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Nov 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
This, absolutely. Going through 2 reliever inhalers in 3 weeks is poorly controlled asthma. She needs to see her GP/practice nurse to adjust her treatment.
Definitely. No one likes going to the doctors but asthma has to be taken very seriously as it can kill, when I was at school a girl in my class died of an attack. I was diagnosed with it in my 30s and keep a close eye on it. As well as my six monthly reviews if I can feel it going out of control I go to see the nurse at the surgery, thankfully very rarely.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
When did she last have an asthma review at the doctors? If 2 inhalers won't last for a holiday then it doesn't sound as if it's well controlled. I have asthma and have reviews with a nurse at my GP surgery every six months. A salbutamol (blue) reliever inhaler lasts me ages when it's well controlled. I use a preventer inhaler also - symbicort, 2 puffs twice a day, and that lasts me 2 months. If it gets really bad I take steroid tablets for a couple of weeks till it's back under control.
as an ex-health professional I totally agree! she sounds like she needs an asthma review, somethings not right!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post

sorry cant get link to work so google "somerset ccg how long should inhalers last" ..its a pdf,theres a list of all the different inhaler types. she should get her technique checked too, you wouldn't believe how many long term patients I used to see who didn't use their inhaler properly.

Edited at 12:59 PM. Reason: incorrect
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by cls123 View Post
sorry cant get link to work so google "somerset ccg how long should inhalers last" ..its a pdf,theres a list of all the different inhaler types. she should get her technique checked too, you wouldn't believe how many long term patients I used to see who didn't use their inhaler properly.
Thank you for this, like Jen if it's too hot for her she will lictually go through them like there smarties, she uses a tube thing that puts her asthma pump in and breathe through it.

She does have a brown 1 too like in tenerife last year we had to go to a pharmacy and buy 12 asthma pumps as she got through the 2 from the GP within a week cause of the heat.
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Thank you for this, like Jen if it's too hot for her she will lictually go through them like there smarties, she uses a tube thing that puts her asthma pump in and breathe through it.

She does have a brown 1 too like in tenerife last year we had to go to a pharmacy and buy 12 asthma pumps as she got through the 2 from the GP within a week cause of the heat.
You must get her to go back to the GP for her own sake. Heat does NOT equal needing two inhalers within a week. Sounds like it might be a panic thing rather than an asthma thing (I can empathise on both accounts!)
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I work as a respiratory nurse with asthma & COPD patients
A standard salbutamol ( blue inhaler) has 200 doses
The Maximum dose usually prescribed as a rescue inhaler is 2 puffs up to 4 times a day ( 8 puffs in total), so an inhaler should last 25 days
It takes 15-20 mins to get to optimal effect which should last 2-4 hrs, so you may be puffing on your inhaler for reassurance but the drug won't be helping
Side effects from overuse of salbutamol can include rapid pulse and tremor which will then make you feel more breathless in the long term
Definitely needs an asthma check to assess her preventer inhaler , as if well controlled she should rarely be using her reliever inhaler

If a preventer inhaler ( usually brown) it should be taken on a regular basis as prescribed
Asthma UK website has some useful tools to assess asthma control

Breathing techniques are also useful such as pursed lip breathing & simple breathing control i.e. Breathe in for the count of 2 & out for count of 4.

Battery operated hand held fans are really good for relieving breathless in hot weather ( we recommend them a lot with our COPD patients),as there are receptors above your top lip which pick up the air movement and relieve the symptoms of breathlessness. There have been research studies done using the 3 blade ones.

May also be worth having a general check up as well, anaemia and some thyroid problems can some present as being more breathless as usual

It's also worth remembering that if you pay for prescriptions & have 2 or more different drugs a month it's cheaper to get a prescription pre payment certificate which you can pay monthly by direct debit - thinks it's just over £10 at present but definitely cheaper than 2 prescription items
Details are on the white side of a prescription

Please ask your partner to have an asthma review
Hope this helps

Edited at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by terriandaaron View Post
You need a prescription to get it In the USA too .
It actually depends on which inhaler you are on as some are available from a pharmacist. Ventolin for instance I managed to get in Wallmart when I lost mine on a holiday a few years ago. I now take two with me just in case but it really just depends on what inhalers you are using. In my family we have 4 different colours but the only one we've ever tried to get is Ventolin which I know most asthma users have for attacks.

Edited at 08:23 AM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
You must get her to go back to the GP for her own sake. Heat does NOT equal needing two inhalers within a week. Sounds like it might be a panic thing rather than an asthma thing (I can empathise on both accounts!)
I'm going to disagree here, change of temperatures can trigger loss of control of asthma, but regardless, she needs to discuss with her GP/asthma nurse about stepping up her regime if this happens - please do not underestimate asthma. It kills approx 1500 people/year in the UK, most of those younger/"fitter" people - taking inhalers as frequently as you describe is very worrying.
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

If her GP is aware of this I’m going to suggest she changes GP. I also have asthma which varies during the year so I have different inhalers prescribed. Preventers are usually 120 doses and if you need more than 2 puffs twice a day (so I inhaler in 30 days) she needs a different strength

She may need additional support meds for holiday
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
I work as a respiratory nurse with asthma & COPD patients
A standard salbutamol ( blue inhaler) has 200 doses
The Maximum dose usually prescribed as a rescue inhaler is 2 puffs up to 4 times a day ( 8 puffs in total), so an inhaler should last 25 days
It takes 15-20 mins to get to optimal effect which should last 2-4 hrs, so you may be puffing on your inhaler for reassurance but the drug won't be helping
Side effects from overuse of salbutamol can include rapid pulse and tremor which will then make you feel more breathless in the long term
Definitely needs an asthma check to assess her preventer inhaler , as if well controlled she should rarely be using her reliever inhaler

If a preventer inhaler ( usually brown) it should be taken on a regular basis as prescribed
Asthma UK website has some useful tools to assess asthma control

Breathing techniques are also useful such as pursed lip breathing & simple breathing control i.e. Breathe in for the count of 2 & out for count of 4.

Battery operated hand held fans are really good for relieving breathless in hot weather ( we recommend them a lot with our COPD patients),as there are receptors above your top lip which pick up the air movement and relieve the symptoms of breathlessness. There have been research studies done using the 3 blade ones.

May also be worth having a general check up as well, anaemia and some thyroid problems can some present as being more breathless as usual

It's also worth remembering that if you pay for prescriptions & have 2 or more different drugs a month it's cheaper to get a prescription pre payment certificate which you can pay monthly by direct debit - thinks it's just over £10 at present but definitely cheaper than 2 prescription items
Details are on the white side of a prescription

Please ask your partner to have an asthma review
Hope this helps
This is great information from Talland. I have chronic asthma (steroid controlled for over 20 years) and find that the breathing technique really helps if I get breathless.

I also had a similar issue with asthma nurse only willing to prescribe one lot of inhalers at a time when I moved practices. I finally managed to get them to admit that I could get more prescribed by talking to the clinical pharmacologist that they had recruited who was able to override the restriction. Whilst I do think that your partner would benefit from an asthma review, they may also like to investigate whether a conversation with the clinical pharmacologist would help.

I hope that you can get this sorted. It is never nice to be in the position where you are trying to squeeze the last bits of inhaler out.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List