Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
markhunter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Destin Florida

Hi Folks
Has anyone spent a week or so in Destin ? Could you spend this amount of time in the resort ? Looking for a bit of advice as we fancy a week or so in a beach resort and a week in orlando...
Weve done Clearwater, St Pete's, Maderia Beach, John's Pass etc looking for a another location to try...
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

We have spent a week at Seagrove beach / Seaside (where they filmed the Truman Show) where we rented a villa next to the beach. Very quiet area, we were there in Sept so it was not a busy time of year. This was about 10 years ago.

I believe they stopped all the main commercial companies from moving into the area eg no McDonalds / Pizza Hut etc etc.

I think Destin is more commercial and has more going on.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

The only thing I can tell you about Destin is that Brittany Spears has or had a home there. One of my relatives I think worked for Coach or possibly Macy there or up that way but I cant be sure, what I do remember is him saying its a beautiful place
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’ve stayed in San Destin- very nice rented a house off a guy who is running the NASA Mars rocket programme, had a golf cart with it to get around San Destin which has lots of restaurants and a boardwalk around a lake with restaurants etc.

I’d also second at least a trip down to Seaside (short drive), lovely.

Some photos of Seaside.

Old 10 Nov 19, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
markhunter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Looks about perfect for a visit
Old 10 Nov 19, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by markhunter View Post
Looks about perfect for a visit
What time of year are you considering? I believe it is very much off season in the winter unlike most of Florida.
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
markhunter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
What time of year are you considering? I believe it is very much off season in the winter unlike most of Florida.
Hi probably looking at last week in June... apartments look so expensive right enough...
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

As an alternative, but The other side of a Florida, we just had a week on Palm Coast. In between Daytona to the south and St Augustine to the North (both about 30 minute drive) and the busier strip at Flagler Beach about 10 minutes away. Miles of unspoilt beaches along the A1A that you can pull over and pitch up on using the designated parking spots, a lovely small state park at Washington Oaks, Marineland conservation near Hammock and a great town in Palm Coast with all the usual restaurants.

We had an Airbnb over looking the intra coastal waterway but quite a few bigger resort places along the coastline.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by markhunter View Post
Hi probably looking at last week in June... apartments look so expensive right enough...
That would be very much high season. Kids in the South usually finish school at the end of May. I believe it is more of a family summer destination rather than for winter Snowbirds like much of the coast further south.
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
markhunter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
As an alternative, but The other side of a Florida, we just had a week on Palm Coast. In between Daytona to the south and St Augustine to the North (both about 30 minute drive) and the busier strip at Flagler Beach about 10 minutes away. Miles of unspoilt beaches along the A1A that you can pull over and pitch up on using the designated parking spots, a lovely small state park at Washington Oaks, Marineland conservation near Hammock and a great town in Palm Coast with all the usual restaurants.

We had an Airbnb over looking the intra coastal waterway but quite a few bigger resort places along the coastline.
Hi thanks for info, I've had a few one day visit to Daytona beach but everytime I've been there it's been so windy. I love the idea of these small beach towns.