Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

new job after redundancy - dilemma

I was made redundant 3 weeks ago and now have an issue and would like anyone's opinion on my dilemma.

I had 2 interviews today.

1 - permanent and in my area of work - would accept as ideal

2 - temporary ( 3 months with agency) might turn permanent and not my ideal job - but money is money.

I have been offered the job to start on monday - I am not too keen on and have not had any feedback from the ideal job but they said it would be the end of next week before I would hear.

I am lost at what to do - I would feel guilty if I took a job and left after a week.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wombat girl View Post
I am lost at what to do - I would feel guilty if I took a job and left after a week.
I think so long as you give the required notice, there is no moral dilemma. The company would probably put a one week notice period in and they would be happy to use it if need be, so no reason you could not.

If you need money coming in and cannot wait until next week, then I would take job 2, a bird in the hand and all that.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

This was me a few weeks ago loss my job end of September, I had 2 interviews one I would have liked and the 2nd I was not keen on different type of job and the hours, was offered the 2nd job within 1 hour of being interviewed, so accepted that one. Started last Monday I really like everyone in my training group 8 of us and we all get on really well, we are all really enjoying our training together, just another 2 weeks to go before we move to there Grad bay, plus everyone in the place is really friendly and all of them so helpful. Glad now I accepted the job there is loads to learn but the firm does look after there employee's and a lot of people have been there 20+ years I was not offered the 1st job. Sometime you do have to take a chance I feel so much different than my last job were people were not friendly or helpful and a really negative feeling in the place in a way I was relieve when that said that they no longer had a job role for me I was already looking around for a new job anyway.

Edited at 07:47 PM.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

If the 2nd job is temporary I assume it either has no notice period or a notice period of a week. If so I’d accept that because as you say money is money and if the other comes back you can just hand your notice in and start that ASAP!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

I started the temporary role and the place is nice to work in.
My last day should be end of next week.
They have indicated verbally ( but nothing in writing) that I have been given an extra 3 months and keep implying they don't want to lose me... but don't offer me a permanent contract

Cannot talk to my boss as they are currently not in the office.

I still feel in limbo
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

They have indicated verbally ( but nothing in writing) that I have been given an extra 3 months and keep implying they don't want to lose me... but don't offer me a permanent contract

I still feel in limbo
Just keep going, it isn't really limbo, although I understand you want certainty, but actually nothing is certain. There could be restrictions on taking people on permanently that need to be navigated and hence taking time.

I would ask for something in writing regarding the new contract end date.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I still feel in limbo
I hope they do take you on but until you have it in writing I would be looking for something else as a back up.
It happened to my son he started a temporary job that got extended verbally he worked another 3 months and they kept saying they didn't want to loose him and would make it permanent and sort out a contract then a few weeks later gave him a weeks notice he was gutted at the time but he's now in a better paid role with better hours.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
I hope they do take you on but until you have it in writing I would be looking for something else as a back up.
It happened to my son he started a temporary job that got extended verbally he worked another 3 months and they kept saying they didn't want to loose him and would make it permanent and sort out a contract then a few weeks later gave him a weeks notice he was gutted at the time but he's now in a better paid role with better hours.
Yes this is what I am worried about.
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

No job even permanent is really guaranteed as you already now from your redundancy. If you are enjoying it then just go with it and positive thoughts x
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

It's been a funny couple of days as yesterday was the last day of my Contract.

So on Thursday I went and spoke to the CEO and he said he wanted me to stay permanently and I will have a Career in the organisation

Then Thurday night I get home and a letter about an extension of 3 months to sign and return.

Friday I showed the CEO and he said don't do anything just ignore it.

Then in the evening the agency rang ( missed call) to say I have a 3 month contract

SO i wait to see what happens next week...