Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 25 Jan 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

It depends what £2,500 means to you and how often you go on holiday. For us that’s a huge chunk of money and it would pay for most of next year’s holiday or be a great safety net to have saved and ready for a rainy day. To another person it might be a drop in the ocean or to someone who is sure they’ll only be holidaying every few years it might be worth it to just do a blow out.

We go to the US every year and twice some years and no a deluxe resort is just not worth it. We enjoy the moderates and wouldn’t get the value. We’ve also been able to stay in some stunning 5 star properties in California for less than a night in a deluxe so it’s hard not to heel taken for a ride for what it is.

I think watching the videos will help.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

This is a difficult one as everyone’s affordability is different and for some £2.5k is an awful lot for others not so much.

We’re a family of eight and are booked to stay at WL we are fortunate that we will have three holidays this year but 20 years ago £2.5k would have been the price of another holiday for us (admittedly our family was smaller)

Horses for courses as they say, only you know what that money is worth to you personally. All I would say is that it is never ever worth getting into debt for!

You’ve got ages before you go I would place money on more availability being released x
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Thanks all. Food for thought as yes it’s definitely a lot of money. We have savings so wouldnt be debt but not sure it’s worth the extra.

Going to hold off and hope it comes available or that ssr comes back
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We tend to go for middle of the road. We know we could do it cheaper and stay offsite or at a value but when we add up the free dining and gift cards the cost doesn’t seem as bad. A moderate for us is in the middle somewhere but right now at the limit of our budget. For me it depends on the budget. If staying at a deluxe this year meant no trip next year then I definitely wouldn’t do it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

It is a question for which we may all have a different answer.

For us we would rather go again than stay at a better resort.

Last Aug we had a blast, stayed at CBR and a villa. Money saved over something like AKL has paid for our trip in a few weeks time.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I saw your other thread, so it is £2500 more for 17 nights at a deluxe (WL or BC) versus 14 nights at a moderate.

Breaking it down, the extra three night in the deluxe would comfortably be £1000 to £1200 of the increase. So for the remaining 14 nights you are essentially paying £100 more a night for the deluxe resort over a moderate.

I actually don't think this is too bad in terms of value, especially as you have upgraded free dining plan and the more there are of you, the more it goes towards justifying the value.

But equally, it needs to be considered in absolute terms. I think the maths goes some way to justifying the cost, but if it meant having to miss holidays the next year, then it suggests that it is not the right budget. I live within my means, I would never spend so much on accommodation one year that I cannot go on holiday at all the next year.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Is POR available? You can use both facilities, secondly is AKL available? We love WL, having stayed there twice but I wouldn't pay £2.5k extra for it, I'm guessing this is also not a standard room ? Beach club looks nice but again I wouldn't pay that much extra to stay there in fact there isn't anywhere that I would pay that for- on this year alone that's a weeks Free Dining plus passes IYKWIM.
If you weren't trying to keep your original deal I would have suggested renting DVC points & would certainly be a cheaper option for SSR/BC/WL
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Does that include upgraded dining? If its a first trip you probably will have so much you want to do will you really get the enjoy the extra perks of delux. We are staying at POR with an upgrade from QS to DDP. It was about 1100 for 11 nights to get Beach club- we were really tempted but that's a lot of money we could spend on other things- as much as the location and pool appealed to use decided to use it towards other extras- dessert party and if released an early morning magic.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’ve stayed in both .
Often if you are using a free dining period there is no difference between PO with free QS dining and the upgrade to TS added and the cheapest deluxe with TS included so really it’s the difference is between the cheapest deluxe and the BC. I usually calculate it on a per room per night basis .

I wouldn’t stay at AKL again ,it’s unique but it isn’t the same quality as the other deluxes in terms of rooms or customer service for me .

Edited at 03:31 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Since you were happy with your original choice - no it isn't worth the upgrade.

For me, I personally wouldn't be as excited staying in a moderate as I would staying in a deluxe, so for me, the deluxes are worth the extra money. But I'm happy with AKL or Beach Club - so equally a more expensive deluxe like the Contemporary or Grand Floridian - much as I would love to stay there - wouldn't be worth the money to me.

If you are happy with your first choice, it might be unlikely you'd think a more expensive hotel is worth the extra money, especially since you are having to ask. I think availability will come back for your original choice
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List