Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Hi

Looking for recommendations of cruise companies or websites to view.

Anyone been on a cruise from Miami to Bahamas ( looking for 3 night) where do I start looking.

Thanks
Look at Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Disney and Celebrity, that should give you a good choice.

However, keep in mind what I just said to the above poster about short cruises being 'booze cruises'. This is especially true on the Norwegian Sky, which offers all inclusive drinks to all passengers (rather than as a paid package or free promo to some when booking). As much as I love Norwegian, only choose the Sky if you want one big party. Other NCL ships will be fine.

Carnival and Royal will also be a lively atmosphere but less so than the NCL Sky as it's not a free for all on the booze.

If you want to escape the party boat then look at Celebrity, it will be more chilled!

Oh and there's always Disney if you want to take out a second mortgage to pay for it lol.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Well, obviously longer is better! Although if you are not sure you will like it then a shorter one to try it out could be a good idea. Having said that our first cruise was 10 nights lol.

Keep in mind there will be a different atmosphere on shorter cruises- they tend to attract a younger and more lively crowd. Sometimes 2/3 night cruises are referred to as booze cruises- but depending on the cruise line that may be more or less rowdy. Especially as your two boys won't be able to join in despite being over the drinking age in the UK!

A 7 night cruise or longer will attract a slightly more chill demographic. If you are most excited about the different ports then I think 7 days or more is essential for you- as an above poster said, you don't get far in less! If you can do 10 days you get some really great Caribbean itineraries, that's what we're doing in December. We've done a 7 day Western cruise, but really wanted to reach the Southern Caribbean on this one. Is there a particular port that excites you and you'd really like to see? If you love exploring I promise you will love cruising.
That’s really helpful, thank you. Definitely do not want to be joining any booze cruises!

We haven’t even looked at 10 days ... going to have a look now to see where they go.

We are flying into Miami so that will dictate where we go although we are happy to drive to the cruise ports in Florida.

I am getting the impression that Carnival are more of a party atmosphere? So, should I be looking at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity? Or are the longer Carnival cruises worth looking at?

Thank you.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
That’s really helpful, thank you. Definitely do not want to be joining any booze cruises!

We haven’t even looked at 10 days ... going to have a look now to see where they go.

We are flying into Miami so that will dictate where we go although we are happy to drive to the cruise ports in Florida.

I am getting the impression that Carnival are more of a party atmosphere? So, should I be looking at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity? Or are the longer Carnival cruises worth looking at?

Thank you.
Fort Lauderdale is just up the road where there is even more choice of cruises.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Fort Lauderdale is just up the road where there is even more choice of cruises.
Our 10 day cruise on Emerald Princess was from FL. We actually booked it as a package though with Virgin Cruises so we flew with VS into MIA, stayed overnight on Collins Avenue then grabbed a cab up to the port.

Just digressing a little. We've done all the "big" names apart from the Dutch ABC islands but we think that St Johns is the prettiest. Caught a boat from St Thomas to get there.

Mick
Old 18 Sep 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post

Thank you.
You'll have plenty of choice from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale (which is 20 mins from Miami). Port Canaveral is the main base for Carnival ships and is also do-able if you don't mind the drive.

I'm trying not sound like a snob, but Carnival has a reputation for cheap fares and attracting lower class passengers. I can't say a thing as to if that's true or not as I've never sailed with them, but I'm not sure we would to be honest. Some of their newer ships look really nice, but the older ones aren't great. For your first cruise experience it's probably safer to look elsewhere.

Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity and Princess are all good choices! The latter two a little more upscale (or at least like to think they are) and will attract an older more chilled demographic. The former two are great for families and go all out on things like water slides and lazer tag. Some people will tell you that the food and general quality on board is better on Celebrity or Princess. Royal is probably great for your sons ages as there is loads to do on board, like surfing simulators and rock climbing.

We are going with Princess for the first time in December, because the itinerary is much more interesting! I really wanted to visit St Lucia so we looked for an itinerary that included that, and only the longer ones do. It depends if you have anywhere specific in mind like I did.

Our 10 day with Princess in December is £679pp in an inside cabin which to me was excellent value. We tend to cruise in insides as I'm cheap like that lol. With 4 adults you'll either be wanting 2 cabins or a larger suite- although technically you can squeeze 4 people into most cabins, it's not a great idea!
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

You'll have plenty of choice from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale (which is 20 mins from Miami). Port Canaveral is the main base for Carnival ships and is also do-able if you don't mind the drive.

I'm trying not sound like a snob, but Carnival has a reputation for cheap fares and attracting lower class passengers. I can't say a thing as to if that's true or not as I've never sailed with them, but I'm not sure we would to be honest. Some of their newer ships look really nice, but the older ones aren't great. For your first cruise experience it's probably safer to look elsewhere.

Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity and Princess are all good choices! The latter two a little more upscale (or at least like to think they are) and will attract an older more chilled demographic. The former two are great for families and go all out on things like water slides and lazer tag. Some people will tell you that the food and general quality on board is better on Celebrity or Princess. Royal is probably great for your sons ages as there is loads to do on board, like surfing simulators and rock climbing.

We are going with Princess for the first time in December, because the itinerary is much more interesting! I really wanted to visit St Lucia so we looked for an itinerary that included that, and only the longer ones do. It depends if you have anywhere specific in mind like I did.

Our 10 day with Princess in December is £679pp in an inside cabin which to me was excellent value. We tend to cruise in insides as I'm cheap like that lol. With 4 adults you'll either be wanting 2 cabins or a larger suite- although technically you can squeeze 4 people into most cabins, it's not a great idea!
Nothing cheap about sailing in inside cabins! We do it all the time now - for every two cruises in a balcony cabin we can have three in an inside.👍
Our 14 night cruise in November on the Caribbean Princess will be our 18th on Princess. Having been on six different cruise lines, Princess has most of what we like, plus their loyalty scheme is excellent.
It’s really hard trying to decide which cruise line is right for you when you start cruising but your summary shows you’ve done your research.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Nothing cheap about sailing in inside cabins! We do it all the time now - for every two cruises in a balcony cabin we can have three in an inside.👍
Our 14 night cruise in November on the Caribbean Princess will be our 18th on Princess. Having been on six different cruise lines, Princess has most of what we like, plus their loyalty scheme is excellent.
It’s really hard trying to decide which cruise line is right for you when you start cruising but your summary shows you’ve done your research.
I am probably the worst type of customer- I flip flop between lines without building up any real loyalty! But we like to try different things. Heard a lot of good things about Princess so really looking forward to trying them! I am excited about the 'Princess Love Boat dream' in the MDR lol (because obviously dessert is the most vital consideration)

We had a balcony cabin on our honeymoon and really enjoyed it but I just can't justify the cost normally. Like you say I'd rather cruise more often!
Old 18 Sep 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

... I am excited about the 'Princess Love Boat dream' in the MDR lol (because obviously dessert is the most vital consideration)
It’s one of several specially commissioned desserts called Chocolate Journeys - they are delicious and only about 4000 calories in each one!
Old 22 Sep 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
taleasoldastime
Getting Excited

Mobile

I’ve just done my first cruise (young-ish couple 25yo) on the Mariner of the Seas from Miami with Royal caribbean and we loved it! It was our first one so didn’t know what to expect but this cruise was great and although the rooms haven’t been done up the rest of the ship has and you can really tell! Any questions let me know
taleasoldastime is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Just got a price for 3 nights Bahamas cruise with Royal Caribbean Navigator of the seas, 1100 in July for 3.
Interested... would not want to pay extra for food/drinks package and prob not excursions... would do instead of 3 nights at Naples, so beach days are good. Other than car parking then, any other costs I need to factor in,? Tips?
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List