Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 19 Dec 18, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kcsunshine73 View Post
Just seen it the last 24h; it’s a big old site if it stretches from the main road to that whole corner of Formosa boulevard. (If that’s the road name I mean, that we drive along past Bdubs to Emerald island).
Yes it does stretch from 192 next to Rolling Oaks to the corner of Formosa Gardens Blvd and Funie Steed Road. The back corner is the old Splendid China site. 192 and FGB are both angled where they meet which makes the site feel bigger than it is when you drive around it IMO.
Old 20 Dec 18, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Yes it does stretch from 192 next to Rolling Oaks to the corner of Formosa Gardens Blvd and Funie Steed Road. The back corner is the old Splendid China site. 192 and FGB are both angled where they meet which makes the site feel bigger than it is when you drive around it IMO.
I agree, the triangular area at the US192/FGB junction (which is itself quite large) is not part of the site. The eastern boundary runs roughly from near Wawa on US192 back to the Splendid China Blvd on FGB. There is a site plan here: livetheorlandodream/wp-co...posed-plan.jpg

Apart from the 2 entrances at the Black Lake and Rolling Oaks traffic lights, plus the 3rd into Sunset Walk, all on US192, there is another entrance on FGB at Splendid China Blvd which leads into the Phase 5 part of the housing area (not open yet) so that might help to distribute the traffic a bit. The County has just started removing the trees at the back of the site alongside Funie Steed Road (the plans don't show an entrance here).

A bit off-topic, but geographically close - the gravel section of Funie Steed Rd on the other side of FGB is now tarmac at last. Unfortunately the next bit past the lake which had a bit of old tarmac has very bad potholes.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Ianc, the potholes have gotten much worse since the dirt bit was paved. I have decided to avoid it in the dark. That section does remind me of my of my old school run down the lanes in the UK. A narrow road requiring me to pull right to the side and slow down for oncoming cars and then driving in the middle to avoid potholes. I could be back in Hertfordshire except for never having to actually stop against a hedge!
Old 20 Dec 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Ianc, the potholes have gotten much worse since the dirt bit was paved. I have decided to avoid it in the dark. That section does remind me of my of my old school run down the lanes in the UK. A narrow road requiring me to pull right to the side and slow down for oncoming cars and then driving in the middle to avoid potholes. I could be back in Hertfordshire except for never having to actually stop against a hedge!
Donna

We were very keen to use the newly "black-topped" section of FSR last month after years of waiting on the 4 way at FGB wondering when it would be done. However, as you say, our excitement quickly waned when we reached the old bit near the Westgate resort. So badly potholed that I had to drive in the middle of the road.

Didn't impact too negatively on our holiday though as I think we only used it twice to get to the Walmart on NOLWR. As you may know that's the only local Walmart that stocks the large jars of Marie's chunky blue cheese dressing. Just one of the important retail decisions that need to be made.

Mick
Old 20 Dec 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Donna

We were very keen to use the newly "black-topped" section of FSR last month after years of waiting on the 4 way at FGB wondering when it would be done. However, as you say, our excitement quickly waned when we reached the old bit near the Westgate resort. So badly potholed that I had to drive in the middle of the road.

Didn't impact too negatively on our holiday though as I think we only used it twice to get to the Walmart on NOLWR. As you may know that's the only local Walmart that stocks the large jars of Marie's chunky blue cheese dressing. Just one of the important retail decisions that need to be made.

Mick
Not on my shopping list. I can't stand blue cheese!
Old 26 Dec 18, 05:43 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Mobile

Is this the FS road if you drive to Walmart? Not whew’re Emerald island is?
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by kcsunshine73 View Post
Is this the FS road if you drive to Walmart? Not whew’re Emerald island is?
The portion of newly surfaced FSR that is being referred to is a few hundred yards east of the junction with Formosa Gardens Boulevard towards the Westgate development. If you want to drive to the "new" Walmart on NOLWR from EI using FSR all the way then you will drive over it.

Mick
Old 26 Dec 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
The portion of newly surfaced FSR that is being referred to is a few hundred yards east of the junction with Formosa Gardens Boulevard towards the Westgate development. If you want to drive to the "new" Walmart on NOLWR from EI using FSR all the way then you will drive over it.

Mick
Aha yes we drove along that back road to the new Walmart! That place is insanely massive!
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List