Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

New iPad ...will it be quicker ?easy to transfer ?

If I get a new iPad do you think it will be faster than the one I already have ... I have had this for around 5 years and also will it be easy to transfer EVERYTHING from this iPad to my new one ? Thankyou is anywhere better than anywhere else at the moment to purchase one
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

If you've had your iPad for 5 years then it will date from 2013 so... approximately iPad mini 2, or iPad Air era? Any of the current iPads being sold by Apple will be much faster than an iPad from 2013. (I upgraded from an iPad mini 2 to an iPad Pro 10.5 last year and the speed difference is fairly remarkable.)

In terms of setting up a new iPad (or iPhone) there are two schools of thought:
1) Set up as new. Sometimes I like doing this, just so that I can clean up my stuff and get rid of apps that I barely use.
2) Transfer from old. You will need to backup your old iPad either to iCloud or to a computer (this might take a while depending on how long it's been since your last backup and how much stuff you have). Then when setting up the new iPad, select the restore from backup option. The vast majority of your stuff should transfer over (again this might take a while, especially if you have lots of videos that can take a while to transfer). Some passwords and more minor stuff sometimes gets lost during the transfer though I've not found it too difficult to sort this out.

In terms of purchasing one - I'd take a quick glance at the Apple refurb store just to see if they have any models of interest in stock. They offer a good discount off the regular retail price, have been refurbished by Apple, and are backed by an Apple warranty. Otherwise I've bought most of my Apple products in the past from either Apple online or a regular Apple store. Have heard good things about buying from John Lewis for their warranty too but that's not an option for me anymore...
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Thankyou for your informative reply interesting did u find it easy to set up yourself ?
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Thankyou for your informative reply interesting did u find it easy to set up yourself ?
Very easy to do yourself; when you switch on your new IPad, it basically takes you through it screen by screen.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yes, a new iPad will be faster at processing things than your old iPad. Although the general experience might not be hugely different and you may not notice much of a speed increase. It depends on what you use your iPad for.

I recently upgraded from my old iPad Air to a new iPad and, generally, I didn't notice a huge difference. Things like Facebook, webpages, accessing YouTube and the like aren't really any faster. With those, you're relying more on the speed of your internet connection than on the speed of the processor. Some games do run a bit smoother.

If you log into the new iPad using your old Apple ID, then you'll be able to download and install (restore) your last back-up, so you'll have all the same apps as the old one. Just make sure you've recently backed up your old iPad either to your iCloud account or to iTunes on a PC/laptop. This can take several minutes, depending on how much you had on your old iPad.

If you copied some things manually onto the old iPad - like copied CD songs, home videos, etc - then some of those may not transfer across and you'll have to copy those manually again.

I've always bought iPads either direct from Apple (once or twice) or from John Lewis (the other times).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I just got a new one as my approx 5 year old one was so slow. New one is great, much quicker.
I bought direct from apple. I had no interest in keeping my old one as it was painfully slow and the oldest one in the family so kids wouldn’t want it. If you are the same, check the serial number on apple website and you might get tradein. I got £60 off my new one.
Took my old one to apple shop and after about 30 mins they had set up new one and transferred all my old stuff over. Sometimes I think service is worth a few quid extra, although having said that I hadn’t seen a cheaper deal elsewhere anyway.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
BTW, I had a 2014 iPad Air and it was a few months over 4 years old when I sold it. I got £190 for it on eBay.

Before that I had an iPad 2 (bought in 2011). I think I got £150 for that back in 2014.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Thankyou is anywhere better than anywhere else at the moment to purchase one
I couldn't find much difference in price from Amazon, Carphone Warehouse, Argos, PC World, Currys, Dixons at the airport, Apple or John Lewis. The only places I looked.
Apple sell with 1 year guarantee with option to buy an extra 1 year AppleCare Protection Plan which extends the guarantee to 2 years, or AppleCare+ which covers Accidental Damage.
John Lewis sell with 3 year guarantee included. You can pay extra to cover Accidental Damage.
The others sell with 1 year guarantee. You can pay extra to extend guarantee or for AD cover.

I decided to buy from JL to benefit from the extra guarantee. I went to ask a few questions in store. Although perfectly polite that proved fruitless. They also had no stock. It was suggested I go home and order from JL website. I asked if they could order one for me but they weren't very interested. I didn't want to wait at home for a £1300 parcel delivery. Maybe I could have done click & collect but I didn't think about it.
I went to the Apple Shop, they answered my questions straight away, and had stock. So I bought it there.
OK I only have a year guarantee but I've never had a fault with Apple before so I'm not bothered really.
Don't know what's going on at JL tbh.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List