Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Dec 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Florida Comeback - 31st August 2018 - Universal Studios & IoA

Day 16

At last a park day, yay . I was a good Dibber today and took note of all the times we waited for each ride for anyone wanting to know how busy the parks were at this time of the year.

Alarm was set for 7am as today we were tackling both Universal Parks. We had a voucher for 4 1 day 2 Park tickets so were going to make the most of them!

We were ready to leave by 8 and for once the I4 was behaving so turned up at 8.25. There are loads of roadworks around the entrance to the parking garage going on but they didn’t hold us up too much.
$22 parking fee paid we were then led to the furthest space away right on top of the parking garage in the Spider-Man section. Great, the car will be nice and toasty later
We were starting with Islands of Adventure as Universal Studios had early entry at 8am for hotel guests.

We had to exchange the voucher at Guest Services but were in the park by 9am.
First up was the Hulk. I’m too chicken to go on this but the other 3 went on at 9.08 and were off by 9.22 with a 15 minute wait time posted.

Up next was Spider Man which was showing a 5 min wait but were on at 9.25 and off by 9.35.

Time to get wet so went on Ripsaw which also had a 5 min wait. In at 9.39 and off at 9.47.

Next was Kong, this was a 10 min wait but we entered queue at 9.39 and were off at 10.03. We were blitzing this park!

My favourite of Jurassic Falls was up next which had a 5 min wait time posted. In at 10.07 and off the ride at 10.21. I love this one!

Time for a snack. We bought 4 foot long hotdogs and 4 sodas for the extortionate cost of $58 . After this we had a restroom break before walking round into Hogsmeade. Forbidden Journey was our next ride.

The kids didn’t fancy this one so waited outside for us to ride. This was only showing a 5 minute wait. We walked into the queue at 10.40, interestingly when we walked past the lockers there was a cast member saying only one family member needs to go into locker room, please make others wait outside. It’s about time!
This ride is just brilliant, does make me feel a bit queasy though. We were off at 10.57. I can’t believe we did every ride that we wanted in IoA in 2 hours! This is certainly the day to come.
Walked around to the Hogwarts Express to get the train over to US.

This was a 10 min wait but we walked straight on to the next train. Thankfully we shared a carriage with a non annoying family who didn’t hog the screen!

First up in Diagon Alley was to ride Gringotts. I put our bags in the locker at 11.20. It was showing a 10 min wait and were off at 11.46.

Jim and the kids wanted to ride Fast & Furious, I told them it’s meant to be a pile of pants but they wanted to see for themselves. This had the longest wait so far at 25 minutes but it’s actually the interactive part of the queue that takes the most time.

This part is quite well done with some of the cast of the film interacting with a cast member who was quite funny. You then go through to the normal queue which was non existent. We had entered at 11.51 and were off at 12.20 so not too bad. The actual ride however was rubbish and lasted about 2 minutes! Jim and the kids had to agree with me
Through the shop where Jim wanted a photo with the main man himself.

Lunch time now, the kids and Jim went to Richter Burgers whilst I fancied a slice of pizza so went to Louie’s for a slice of cheese and a Diet Coke. $14.15.

I ate outside in the sun before meeting the others back at the burger place. Sat and just chilled for a while congratulating ourselves on how much we had achieved already today.

The Mummy was up next, this had a 15 min wait time. The locker system is new here and instead of a finger print you need your park ticket but I stupidly didn’t realise until it was too late and locked them all in the locker! Oh well I would speak to a cast member after . We went in at 1.05 and came off at 1.25.

Transformers was a 25 min wait. Entered the queue at 1.30 and got on it at 1.53 so fairly accurate.

Shrek next at 2.05, it was meant to be a 10 min wait but was a bit longer. I do like this one, I’m a big fan of the films. We did encounter the idiots who don’t move all the way down even after being told multiple times by the cast members

Stopped for a drink now and pondered what to do next. I mentioned that the Horror Make Up Show was meant to be very funny but the kids and Jim groaned. I said it was at least air conditioned and somewhere to sit for 30 minutes so they begrudgingly agreed!

We were in time for the 3pm show, had to wait a few minutes but were soon let into the theatre. Again idiots not moving to end of row, the Universal staff were not monitoring it though it was like a free for all!
Well this show was absolutely comic genius! We were all howling with laughter, I even had tears rolling down my face. The two women we had should honestly go into stand up they were that funny . Jim and the kids had to say they were wrong and I was right which is ALWAYS a good feeling . This finished at 3.30.

We had a restroom break then we walked around to ET. Only Hope and I wanted to go on. We went in at 3.46, it had a 10 min wait but we walked straight in and were off by 4.

Men in Black was next with a 10 min wait posted. They kept us outside for a while then let a load of people in at once. I sat with Hope and did really terrible. Sam won out of the 4 of us which Jim blamed on a faulty gun, yeah right! We were off here by 4.30.

We came to the decision we had done all we wanted to do in the parks now so headed for the exit. Not before stopping off in Kwik e Mart for 2 Big Pinks. We learnt our lesson from before that one wasn’t enough. We sat outside and split one into 4, saving the other for back at the villa.

Got the standard photo of the kids in front of the Universal globe.

Had a quick look in Billabong as I wanted another pair of the Havaianas that I bought last year from here. Gutted they have stopped selling them altogether but will check Disney Springs tomorrow.

It was a long walk back to the car, where it was absolutely roasting so got the air con on full blast.

The traffic was quite heavy on the I4 but we got back to the villa just before 6.
None of us could be bothered to go back out for dinner so I suggested a take out. Hope wanted chicken tenders but I wanted to try Panda Express after hearing so many rave reviews on here.

At about 6.30 I drove up to Publix to get Hope some of their chicken tenders from the hot station. $7.99 for 6 huge ones.
I then drove round the corner to Panda Express on the 192. I massively over ordered in here

I got Jim chow mein and fried rice with Shanghai Angus steak, honey sesame chicken and mushroom chicken. I had chow mein with orange chicken, honey sesame chicken and Beijing beef. Sam fried rice and chow mein with orange chicken and honey sesame chicken. Got Hope a portion of plain rice to go with her tenders. Also got 4 vegetable spring rolls, 2 chicken egg rolls and some fortune cookies. $40 altogether, great value! Got home at 7.15 where we sat down at the kitchen table to eat.

The Chinese was amazing. Jim rated it as well even though at first he said he would never eat a Chinese in Florida after his sister and bro in law got food poisoning about 20 years ago from some dodgy Chinese buffet up on International Drive . I had to persuade him that Panda Express wouldn’t be like that. I’m glad I was right, especially after last nights Italian that he hated

We had a chilled rest of the night watching TV and me writing up my notes for the day.

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 10:01 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, I really appreciated the timings. I cannot believe you did so many rides with so little wait! Amazing. It sounds like a jam packed day but one that you all really enjoyed.

Max will definitely want to try out the fast and the furious ride as he loves those films, but I've not heard anyone say they enjoy that ride.

I agree with you the horror make up show was amazing! We only went in because it was raining and a show was about to start so we thought it would be good to stay dry...best show ever! As you said it was so funny!

We've never had panda express but I really fancy Chinese now! I'll have to add it to the list.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

That was a jam packed day, you did loads of rides! Your photos are great too
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Wow - a really busy but also very satisfying day. And how nice to be proved right!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, I really appreciated the timings. I cannot believe you did so many rides with so little wait! Amazing. It sounds like a jam packed day but one that you all really enjoyed.

Max will definitely want to try out the fast and the furious ride as he loves those films, but I've not heard anyone say they enjoy that ride.

I agree with you the horror make up show was amazing! We only went in because it was raining and a show was about to start so we thought it would be good to stay dry...best show ever! As you said it was so funny!

We've never had panda express but I really fancy Chinese now! I'll have to add it to the list.
I couldn't quite believe how much we got done. I was hoping it would be quieter being the end of the summer but it was much better than I thought. We had a great day, it was lovely to be back in a theme park!
The make up show is so under rated, I've been to Universal 3 times now and I cant believe I hadn't watched it before. Incredibly funny
Oh you must try Panda Express its unbelievable good, really lives up to all the hype

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
That was a jam packed day, you did loads of rides! Your photos are great too
Thank you we had a great day! We really breezed through the rides, I would definitely recommend the end of August for anyone visiting at that time of year

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Wow - a really busy but also very satisfying day. And how nice to be proved right!
Haha it is the BEST feeling to be proved right

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 21 Dec 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Wow you totally smashed it in the parks today, what a brilliant ride tally.
Glad Panda Express didn’t disappoint. It really shouldn’t be that good should it ! And the portions are incredibly generous , nom nom
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Mmmm love Panda Express.

You say you got some vouchers for universal we’re they good price as I wanna go but seems like high price per park than Disney is
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow. Great wait times/ride tally
Panda Express is awesome isn’t it?
Thanks for sharing
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List