Notices

Old 14 May 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

WDW with a toddler - the surprise upgrade trip of dreams (Oct/Nov 2018)

1. Intros
  2. Flying plans - the seat debate, and car seat or not?
  3. Eating and drinking - ADRs
  4. A double digit update - toddler races, plane seats, life update

Hi everyone!

I am an avid TR reader but a failed TR writer, but I've been doing loads of research for this trip on travelling with a <2 year old, and wanted to share some of our research, tips and experiences with others considering a trip to the World with a little one.

The travellers

That's me (30-something), DH (40-something) and our little one, who will be turning 22 months when we are there.

Previously on..
I was lucky to visit WDW a couple of times as a child. My husband joined us on his first family trip in 2013, we travelled back as a couple in 2015 and little one joined us in 2017!

In between jaunts to Orlando, we were AP holders at DLP for two years, and have been there more than I can count.

On our honeymoon we also squeezed in a trip to Hong Kong Disney Land (That Mystic Manor..am i right?!)

Then in 2016 had booked to go back to Orlando, but Zika and pregnancy put pay to that trip. Not ones to let a holiday go to waste, we spent our refunds on a trip to California including, obviously, Disneyland!

So, you could say we like Disney parks...? Just Tokyo and Shanghai to go!

Most recently we took the little one to Disneyland Paris last November to get his first Disney trip under his tiny belt.

A trip 18 months in the making
We've usually been fairly last minute (for Disney) planners, but after our last trip we knew we wanted to go back and use DDP, which means booking for the following year. We had done this for our 2016 trip, even booked our ADRs, but it wasn't to be!

So in early 2017, with a tiny baby, we put down a cheeky deposit on a 2018 trip. We got cashback on the booking so basically hadn't spent any money or committed anything, but the option was there.

After our DLP trip we were even more excited to get back to WDW, so days were booked off work in Jan 2018 and somewhere around 230 days to go we bit the bullet and paid for our flights - no going back now!

Just one hitch...we'd booked to stay at Saratoga Springs, based on proximity to Disney Springs, having a little bit more space with a baby, and the kitchenette facilities.

Some of you know where this is going... 330 days rolled around and still no confirmation email. I didn't think much of it and left it for a while... then checking the good old Dibb I started to see lots of chat about bookings for SSR and OKW in Sept/Oct 18 and talk of refunds, upgrades, cancellations. Most peculiar.

A quick call to Disney revealed that yes, indeed, our SSR booking couldn't be honoured. #freakingout But.. instead, would we consider moving to another Deluxe resort. Erm, would we!?

The choice was pretty amazing - AKL Savannah View, Beach Club, or potentially Wilderness Lodge (this was later removed as an option).

What a choice!? I had always always said I would love to stay at an Epcot area resort, I LOVE the Boardwalk area and the proximity to Epcot and HS is just amazing. But AKL is a bucket list stay too - especially with an animal loving kid! Both are options we would never usually justify, but when it came down it to it we reasoned we may one day stretch to a AKL stay (though not the way prices are going), but could never justify BC. And having no idea how the little one will cope with the jet lag and heat, the ability to just walk back quickly from 2 of the 4 parks sounded ideal. Plus the pool looks amazing, the location means lots of nearby dining choices for the DDP, and we'll be less reliant on Disney transport (and folding 'stroller' etc).

So.. Beach Club it is! Two weeks starting last week of October, including the Halloween and possibly start of Christmas decs and F&W festival.

We're now 165 days out - ADRs have been made, spreadsheets are being colour coded, we've hit our savings goal to pay it all off, and frantic research is being done on how to occupy a near 2 year old on a 8+ hour flight!

I'm hoping to share some of what we've learned about travelling with a little one, what worked and didn't when we get back, and the products and services we've found to make it all a bit easier!
__

Edited at 08:34 PM.
piglet100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Jetting off

Although we booked the WDW package over a year in advance, we decided to wait a while before booking flights. We wanted to make sure we were confident in travelling with the little one (who at this point was still very tiny), and that financially it would all stack up.

I started tracking flights and seeing them go up...and up... and up...

So a few months ago we had to just take the plunge and book. No going back now.

BA and VA were coming up near identical in price, so after lots of research into best options for travelling with a baby, we booked VA. I am not sure there is much in it, but reviews tended to be a bit better with VA and generally it seems a better experience for the price.

To seat or not to seat..?

That was the big question! At 21/22 months DS doesn't need a seat, and is too big for a skycot. (We flew with him in one at 8 weeks, was amazing, get one if you qualify!)

He is a big little man though, and a very very wriggly one. The idea of him sitting/sleeping on one of us for all that time was not appealing. But neither was the idea of paying out for another seat.

DH was very much in favour of getting a seat, but I'm the cheapskate!

In the end, convenience won over frugality. As much as it pains me to do so the reality of a long haul flight with him jumping up and down on us was just not appealing. Plus with his own seat he can have a space to eat, play, etc and we can have a set of 3 seats and be less of an immense pain in the $%^& to another passenger.

If you're considering booking a seat for an infant, I had to book him on the system as a child with a DOB a year older than his actual one, then to make this match up with his passport, VA customer service amended his DOB on the booking to his real one once we had booked. I was nervous, but it was all fine and everything shows up as it should online.

Usually we go for the earlier flight and stay overnight, but this time we have gone for the 1pm option.

The pros of this are that we don't have to rush to get to Gatwick after work on Friday and most likely have a rubbish night with DS in a new place before a very long day.

The cons are the stress of having to be there on time on the day, and the later arrival. But let's face it, all schedules are off with a nearly 2 yo and jet lag so we'll just have to deal with it! We live about an hour from Gatwick so shouldn't (cross everything) be a problem to get there in time on the morning if we leave at the crack of dawn, which is when DS wakes up anyway...

We also still have to work out what we do about taking a car seat on the plane. I'm really unsure of this, it seems to be standard practice in the US but pretty unheard of over here. I also can't get my head around having suitcases, a buggy, hand luggage and a car seat in the airport.. oh and a child who likes to run off. How do you manage it? I'll let you know what we decide.

The reality of the flight is pretty daunting, especially as we're getting into tantrum territory, but we'll make it. Apologies if you're on the same flight though..
I'm thinking I'll get one of these Keep em quiet packs plus All.The.Snacks and the tablet for emergencies.
His attention span right now is max 10 minutes so that just 48 activities to find to keep him occupied... and keep everything crossed for a long long nap.
Old 15 May 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You are lucky to get the upgrade to Beach Club! It sounds like you are Disney veterans, I wonder how long it will take you to get round to all the parks?

Anyway, good luck with the planning of this trip. I hope you have a brilliant time as a family.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds fantastic - I am sure that you will have lots to keep your little one occupied (we used to wrap books/stickers/crayons etc up in wrapping paper) to bring out of a bag at several intervals for novelty value.
I really hope we can stay at the Beach Club next year.

Hope you have a lovely family holiday x
Old 15 May 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You are lucky to get the upgrade to Beach Club! It sounds like you are Disney veterans, I wonder how long it will take you to get round to all the parks?

Anyway, good luck with the planning of this trip. I hope you have a brilliant time as a family.
Thank you so much! No doubt our park touring plans and speed will be slower than usual now! But as we have been so lucky to experience Disney so much we are relaxed about cramming it all in and happy to focus on the new things we want to do as a family (as long as we get that FoP FP!)
Old 15 May 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twinklestar1 View Post
Sounds fantastic - I am sure that you will have lots to keep your little one occupied (we used to wrap books/stickers/crayons etc up in wrapping paper) to bring out of a bag at several intervals for novelty value.
I really hope we can stay at the Beach Club next year.

Hope you have a lovely family holiday x
Hope you can too! No way we'd have been able to do without the luck of whatever happened with DVC at SSR!

Good idea on wrapping, he'll love tearing it all apart. He is also currently obsessed with stickers so that should kill a load of time!
Old 15 May 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Great pre trip! We travel in August with a 15mo, 23mo, 3yo and almost 4yo! That’s our two and their cousins so luckily that’s four adults but I’m still dreading the travelling! Eek! Can’t believe the amazing upgrade to the Beach Club, and that you’ve got little man a seat. The 15mo and 23mo will be on laps, nooooo!
Can’t wait to hear more of your plans!
Old 15 May 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kansaskitty View Post
Great pre trip! We travel in August with a 15mo, 23mo, 3yo and almost 4yo! That’s our two and their cousins so luckily that’s four adults but I’m still dreading the travelling! Eek! Can’t believe the amazing upgrade to the Beach Club, and that you’ve got little man a seat. The 15mo and 23mo will be on laps, nooooo!
Can’t wait to hear more of your plans!
Thank you! Eek 4 under 4!
Honestly I'd have just put up with the wiggling on laps but DH couldn't face it! Let's just not think about the cost when he inevitably spends all the time climbing on us anyway... A very expensive place to store our bags...
Old 16 May 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a fab trip, sooo envious of your beach club upgrade and think your reasoning regarding the buggy and leads folding / removing child etc are spot on.

Our little boy is almost 6 months so I’ll be reading this with interest to see how you get on - pleassse do a trippie!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Sounds like a fab trip, sooo envious of your beach club upgrade and think your reasoning regarding the buggy and leads folding / removing child etc are spot on.

Our little boy is almost 6 months so I’ll be reading this with interest to see how you get on - pleassse do a trippie!
I will do my best! I love reading TRs just bad at following through with mine... in the mean time if you haven't already read Brett Jo and Marceline TR which are so helpful for traveling with a baby!