Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 10 Oct 18, 06:18 AM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Big birthday cruise recommendations

I turn 50 next December (help) sh is asking what I want . Cruise never really appealed to me but must be a sign of getting old as I’m thinking of a family cruise or another trip to Orlando . Cruise looks luxury - I looked up Disney cruise and very expensive don’t really want to cripple him financially. Can someone recommend s cruise destination and carrier please
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The brief you’ve given is possibly a bit too wide - it would be helpful to know what time of year you want to cruise, how long for, what interests you (beaches, scenery, cities, remote locations, etc), age range of the group, etc. Cruising for the first time can be a bit mind boggling but this kind of info will help people to recommend cruise lines and itineraries.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with Omega- give us a little bit more on what you're looking for. Start with where you want to go! Without knowing much more about you, start with looking at Princess and Celebrity. If you are travelling with young adults and kids look at Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. P&O are also worth a look for first timers.

Disney cruises are very very expensive. You will find other lines more reasonable.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I agree with Omega- give us a little bit more on what you're looking for. Start with where you want to go! Without knowing much more about you, start with looking at Princess and Celebrity. If you are travelling with young adults and kids look at Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. P&O are also worth a look for first timers.

Disney cruises are very very expensive. You will find other lines more reasonable.
The thing is, 'expensive' is a relative term to that person. I don't consider them to be 'very very expensive' and I'm not rich by any stretch. I pay for the whole experience and that to me makes it worth it.
The other thing is each cruise line has it's own merits so comparing them for being 'reasonable' is not on a like for like case. You can't compare TUI to DCL. You can't Carnival to Princess.

Joa
Old 10 Oct 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Ok thank you . Will be travelling with Dh almost 50 dd 215/16 depending on time of travel and ds11/12
We all love Disney but love shoes too. Would be sticking to mostly Irish school holidays so June July August or a week in October or early March .
Would prefer to fly from Europe
Old 10 Oct 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

ok, we 'did' Alaska this summer... and wow! we had a couple days in Seattle, then flew to Fairbanks and then for the next week traveled about towards Seward, doing something every day! then boarded Norwegian cruise for the inside passage to Vancouver for the last 7days, I'm 44, DH46 and 2 boys 11 and 14 and we loved every minute of it.

ok - the crunch is NCL to me is NOT up with DCL, but i did not go for the ship, i went for Alaska, and the whole cost of what we did was comparable to just a DCL Alaskan cruise...

i would recommend 100%

would this interest you all?
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
The thing is, 'expensive' is a relative term to that person. I don't consider them to be 'very very expensive' and I'm not rich by any stretch. I pay for the whole experience and that to me makes it worth it.
The other thing is each cruise line has it's own merits so comparing them for being 'reasonable' is not on a like for like case. You can't compare TUI to DCL. You can't Carnival to Princess.

Joa
Fair enough, to me personally (being from Yorkshire and a bit of a tight wad) they are very very expensive! I was more saying that as the OP thought they looked very expensive, so I was trying to make the point not all cruise lines are so pricey, if they are finding Disney too hard on the wallet.

We are doing a 10 night Caribbean on Princess in December which cost £680pp. The closest Disney alternative I can find is a 7 nighter for £1227pp. To me that is very expensive when compared! But as I don't have small children I understand that the value families might put on the Disney cruise is higher than mine.

I certainly agree on your comparison and would not be encouraging them to look at Carnival vs Disney just because it's cheaper!

Edited at 03:04 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
We are doing a 10 night Caribbean on Princess in December...
Are you on the Crown? We are on the Caribbean Princess for a 14 night cruise in November. We’ve done many Caribbean cruises and looking for new ideas, particularly for Antigua. Do you have any suggestions?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have sailed both Royal Caribbean and NCL and highly rate both of them. I've priced up Disney Cruises and quite frankly would never give them the money. Far too over priced for what you get (in my opinion).

We have sailed around the Caribbean and also the Med. Depending on when you want to go there is some really good deals out there.

Also, we get prices online then pop into our local Thomsons who then price match and take another £150 or so off it. It pays to shop around
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Im no cruising expert by any means.

DH and I have done
1 x P&O to the Fjords (£2k balcony with £300 OBC) and
1 x Princess Transatlantic via Sheltand, Iceland and Canada (£3K balcony including flights home)

Loved them both.

We have a Celebrity Cruise booked for November.
For £3200 we have return flights to Barcelona, 13 nights cruise to Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Malta and 2 nights at a 5* hotel in Barcelona on our return. We also have a concierge cabin (a few extra perks) plus we got the drinks package included and $300 OBC.

To compare - the Disney Transatlantic for 2019 similar ports - is over £4K for a balcony cabin - NOTHING else! No flights, no drinks package, no OBC

The Disney 10 night med cruise from Barcelona July 19 is £6K for an INSIDE cabin - again nothing else.

OK our cruise is later in the year but we only booked it in May this year. I have no idea what release prices were but often they are the cheapest rates.

Although we can afford it there is no way I could justify the Disney prices considering the prices we have paid.

We like MORE holidays rather than one expensive one - although I admit the Disney cruise would be a great experience!

There is lots of choice out there - have a look at Cruise Critic for some ideas.
Think about whats important to you - we chose/have chosen ours for ports of call.
Some people like kids entertainment - but this isn't important to us.
Do you like a drink - then try to book when there is an offer on as especially with the American lines drinks are in dollars plus generally you have to tip each drink.
I know P&O are part of the american group but there drinks are in £ and are UK pub prices.
Do you like formal nights and the chance to dress up? Some cruise lines dont have any formal nights or dress codes for the dining rooms. We like to dress up for dinner and we LOVE formal nights. I mean when else can you wear a dinner suit twice a week?

So lots to think about - but doing all the research is all the fun!

xxx
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List