Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 26 Nov 18, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

its agreat series showing nature for what it is...

as above though

weird the most popular thread on here by a mile is for im a celebrity which famously features animals being eaten/used to virtually torture people, but this is apparently great crack...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkes12 View Post
Seems some people can't handle the real world and get caught up in all that's nice and pretty about life. Life is cruel sometimes but it's real life and thoroughly intrestering to watch. Fully understand some don't like to watch this thing but can't understand commenting or even starting a post telling us they don't like it? Just don't watch it no need to advertise the fact you don't like it.
Totally agree. Why ignore the reality of the world we live in. It is real life whether we like it or not. Ignoring it is living in a dream world. And tbh, we have it dead easy compared with others around the globe who suffer. Lets not educate ourselves about them and their plights and ignore their suffering.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I watched the first one and to be honest I found it pretty much like all the other programmes. I’ve been on safari and watched a lion kill. Nature is an amazing thing wonderful,cruel,dangerous and sad. I haven’t watched the rest as it didn’t float my boat but then again neither does Eastenders or Corrie. I do think it’s a family programme I do believe that children should learn about the way nature really is not the sugarcoated look at the cute cub.

Each to their own, I watched, I didn’t enjoy I turned off
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkes12 View Post
Seems some people can't handle the real world and get caught up in all that's nice and pretty about life. Life is cruel sometimes but it's real life and thoroughly intrestering to watch. Fully understand some don't like to watch this thing but can't understand commenting or even starting a post telling us they don't like it? Just don't watch it no need to advertise the fact you don't like it.
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Totally agree. Why ignore the reality of the world we live in. It is real life whether we like it or not. Ignoring it is living in a dream world. And tbh, we have it dead easy compared with others around the globe who suffer. Lets not educate ourselves about them and their plights and ignore their suffering.
I feel a little belittled by postings like these-

I can, very much, handle the real world - some of us have served our time with some very real-world situations and do not need to watch the trite story-telling set up by the editors of these programs! It is not really showing the real world - it is showing an interesting snapshot of it, edited to be "exciting", "sad", "humorous" whatever the editorial team have been paid to produce.

Don't consider it to be something I want to watch, but don't see why it can't be discussed (my license fee pays for it too, so my voice is just as valid). Ignoring it is not living in a dream world, sometimes you can just have too much of this on TV.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I feel a little belittled by postings like these-

I can, very much, handle the real world - some of us have served our time with some very real-world situations and do not need to watch the trite story-telling set up by the editors of these programs! It is not really showing the real world - it is showing an interesting snapshot of it, edited to be "exciting", "sad", "humorous" whatever the editorial team have been paid to produce.

Don't consider it to be something I want to watch, but don't see why it can't be discussed (my license fee pays for it too, so my voice is just as valid). Ignoring it is not living in a dream world, sometimes you can just have too much of this on TV.
Although I watch these programmes and feel they should be made and shown to highlight the problems facing the natural world, I totally respect your point of view and decision not to watch. Same as my decision on I’m a Celebrity, I realise it’s very popular, but I feel it is cruel and unnecessary so choose not to watch.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I’ve been on holiday, so not seen any of the programmes yet. I find it fascinating that many of the posts use the words cruel and cruelty with reference to interaction between animals/birds, etc. I always thought that cruelty was a human construct requiring a degree of conscious premeditation combined with the perpetrator gaining some pleasure from inflicting suffering. Are we not applying higher cognitive reasoning to a context where it doesn’t exist? Can instinctive actions by animals/birds ever be cruel? Is a lion making a kill to feed itself and its young cruel?
Indeed, such actions took place well before human thinking and language evolved to be able to rationalise such things. Are those who refer to the programme’s content as cruel only able to do so because they can? Would the average penguin regard it as cruel? Just thinking.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I’ve been on holiday, so not seen any of the programmes yet. I find it fascinating that many of the posts use the words cruel and cruelty with reference to interaction between animals/birds, etc. I always thought that cruelty was a human construct requiring a degree of conscious premeditation combined with the perpetrator gaining some pleasure from inflicting suffering. Are we not applying higher cognitive reasoning to a context where it doesn’t exist? Can instinctive actions by animals/birds ever be cruel? Is a lion making a kill to feed itself and its young cruel?
Indeed, such actions took place well before human thinking and language evolved to be able to rationalise such things. Are those who refer to the programme’s content as cruel only able to do so because they can? Would the average penguin regard it as cruel? Just thinking.
The average penguin can't afford a telly... (sorry couldn't resist ).

I think of it as cruel purely because of the way the editors have chosen the sequences that wring those sorts of thoughts and emotions from you.

They have footage to sell, it won't be 2 hours of penguins sitting on ice huddling for warmth (which is what the average penguin's winter's day consists of).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
This is what breaks my heart bbc/news/uk-england-kent-46418054
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
This is what breaks my heart bbc/news/uk-england-kent-46418054
Yep, that's certainly cruelty.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
The average penguin can't afford a telly... (sorry couldn't resist ).

I think of it as cruel purely because of the way the editors have chosen the sequences that wring those sorts of thoughts and emotions from you.

They have footage to sell, it won't be 2 hours of penguins sitting on ice huddling for warmth (which is what the average penguin's winter's day consists of).
Minimum wage in Antarctica is rubbish! So it's the editing you are unhappy with and how the 'story' is portrayed which you find upsetting. Fair enough.