Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Dec 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the review, legroom looks great. We have young children so those our out for us. I don’t like the fixed arms rests either. We are flying this route in May (provided BA don’t cancel it, half full plane adds fuel to the fire!) I got a really good deal so went for it.
Gjdjud, we have a flydrive package with ba so I’ll update you when we get back, unless anybody goes before us.🙂
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It's so long since I flew with BA longhaul that I can't remember when check-in opens (for free seat allocation) I assume it's exactly 24 hours before - am I correct?
Online Check-in opens exactly 24 hours before scheduled departure time. If you have a connecting flight (eg GLA-LGW-MCO) you can check in and select seats for free on both flights when check-in opens for the first flight.

Of course, if you’ve booked a Basic fare, then there is no free choice of seats, even at check-in.

Originally Posted by Cocobean121 View Post
Sorry to butt in (thanks for the review btw); are any of the Gatwick - mco ba planes refurbed? We hated their planes last time we went and I’m wondering whether to pay a bit more for virgin, unless it’s been refurbed.
Originally Posted by prugone View Post
I might be corrected here but I believe the refurbs on the Gatwick 777's started earlier in the year. We flew Gatwick - Tampa in May on an 'old' plane. Next May our flight appears to be on a refurbed aircraft with 3-4-3 seating as opposed to the old 3-3-3.
The first refurbished LGW 777 went into service in March 2018. So far there are 6 refurbished aircraft in service, with 3 more scheduled for refurb over the next 6 months (one of which is a 4 class 777). The remainder are yet to be scheduled.

The MCO route tends mostly to have refurbished aircraft currently. The other Florida routes from LGW have a mixture of refurbished and unrefurbished. Obviously as more aircraft are done, the chances of a refurbished aircraft go up. The seat plan when you book would show whether a refurbed aircraft is scheduled for the flight, but it is not guaranteed and can change later.

The refurb programme should have been largely complete by now, my guess is that it has been slower than planned since BA is very short of aircraft right now, and can’t afford to have too many out of service.

Edited at 12:42 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Thanks for the review, legroom looks great. We have young children so those our out for us. I don’t like the fixed arms rests either. We are flying this route in May (provided BA don’t cancel it, half full plane adds fuel to the fire!) I got a really good deal so went for it.
Gjdjud, we have a flydrive package with ba so I’ll update you when we get back, unless anybody goes before us.🙂
The photo is of row 20 which is the first row of economy rather than an exit. It’s one of the bassinet rows though which means the seats are only available to parties with infants until online check in opens.

OP thanks for the review. We’re in 20 on our next flight so it’s nice to see the update.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The basic fare is the one with no checked bag allowance isn't it? If so then I know I've not got that type...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Online Check-in opens exactly 24 hours before scheduled departure time. If you have a connecting flight (eg GLA-LGW-MCO) you can check in and select seats for free on both flights when check-in opens for the first flight.

Of course, if you’ve booked a Basic fare, then there is no free choice of seats, even at check-in.

The first refurbished LGW 777 went into service in March 2018. So far there are 6 refurbished aircraft in service, with 3 more scheduled for refurb over the next 6 months (one of which is a 4 class 777). The remainder are yet to be scheduled.

The MCO route tends mostly to have refurbished aircraft currently. The other Florida routes from LGW have a mixture of refurbished and unrefurbished. Obviously as more aircraft are done, the chances of a refurbished aircraft go up. The seat plan when you book would show whether a refurbed aircraft is scheduled for the flight, but it is not guaranteed and can change later.

The refurb programme should have been largely complete by now, my guess is that it has been slower than planned since BA is very short of aircraft right now, and can’t afford to have too many out of service.
Thanks Peko, it's one of the things I love about the Dibb, there's always someone with the knowledge of what's going on. More power to your elbow!
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The basic fare is the one with no checked bag allowance isn't it? If so then I know I've not got that type...
Correct, you don’t get an included checked bag allowance on the Basic fare type.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Great review, thanks for sharing. I hope we get a refurbished plane when we fly to Tampa next year.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing. I hope we get a refurbished plane when we fly to Tampa next year.
Some of the refurbed planes are already in use on the Tampa route; we were on one earlier in the year as the cabin was smaller per the refurb plans; can’t remember if it was our May or September trip.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Can I ask if you had car hire and if so what was your experience of collecting the car?
Seeing as no one else has picked up on this part of your post I'll run with it.

We flew out to FLL on 9th Aug and found the flights into FLL to be cheaper than MCO. When you land at FLL once you have cleared immigration and customs you head out of the terminal to a bus pick up point to be taken to the car rental center. In our case the bus came almost immediately and the driver was even helping folks with their cases. The car hire center is on 2 floors and the queues seemed to be non existent (which considering the folks still stuck in immigration was unexpected, because loads of people had already got out before us).

Yes it is slightly more inconvenient than MCO but if the price is worth it, it shouldn't stop you considering it.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anstee33
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Yes, we flew on one 22/11/18 from Gatwick to MCO.
anstee33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List