Old 10 Dec 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I tend to budget for most things. I save a set amount each month for Christmas but doesnt go as far as it used to! Im kicking myself today because I just bought out main Christmas beef joint and some other bits arrived home and have a 8 off voucher for 40 spent ( I spent 43).
DH is not so careful and feels he needs to get presents/ treats for a higher amount than I would pay! Then he is surprised when we have no money!
Old 10 Dec 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

I think ive done ok, I do my present shopping earlier in the year so when we got paid at the end of November the last few things were bought and as I had a list I didnt pick up extras, we always have family here to open presents and do breakfast for everyone so have that to buy and a big gammon joint which is my contribution towards dinner.

I used to think Christmas meant an expensive meal for a week and lots of drink but other than Christmas Day we just eat our normal food, im even debating if I need to buy cheeses this year as its only me who will eat them after eldest daughter left home to live with a boy ☹️ (Hope friends fans get the jist)
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
I like to get cashback, use discount codes etc where I can, for Christmas I started to save 5 a month starting from November last year and at the end of October this year I had 60 to load onto my Iceland card in November and gained a 6 bonus and also had a extra bonus if I spent 17 a week for 4 weeks I would gain 7 so an extra 13 free and apart from the 7 bonus there is no time restriction on using your card savings so helps in January. Then some cashback from topcashback I claimed as a M&S giftcard as you receive a bonus so that will cover some food bits. Then also I do Shop and Scan receive about 90 a year so claim that as vouchers to cover some presents and use the cash I would have spent on them to do food shop. So doesn't cost me really any extra for Christmas food shop.
Hope this helps anyone looking to plan for next year and get a little bit extra back to go towards December spends.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Bought all my presents and have only food to buy, we get a few money gifts for Christmas and I will give them to my dd16 for days out with her friends. The money tree in the garden is empty! Going into saving mode in January x
Old 11 Dec 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I've not got 1 thing for Christmas yet not even a card or a tin of celebrations. I buy Tesco saving stamps during the year for Christmas and New Year food/drink for me these stamps are up there with the slow cooker.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We get paid early for Christmas on 21st Dec then nothing till the end of Jan ...dreading it
Old 11 Dec 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by florida addict View Post
We get paid early for Christmas on 21st Dec then nothing till the end of Jan ...dreading it
Both me and my OH get paid early in December too , end of January always seems forever away
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Both me and my OH get paid early in December too , end of January always seems forever away
We get paid on the 20th of every month. It is lovely. Always nice to have payday just before Christmas.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We get paid on the 20th of every month. It is lovely. Always nice to have payday just before Christmas.
Ours is last day of month for both of us usually so it's nice to see our bank accounts swell before Xmas... Just have to remember not to overspend when the sales start cos accounts look a bit healthier before direct debits come out lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

I buy the little kids presents throughout the year in sales or home bargains (oh and I have 10 great/nieces/nephews between us so if I didnt do that it would cost a fortune)
I make hampers for my adult friends, just a selection of fudge, homemade shortbread Jammie dodgers, puddinis and chocolate oak cakes. I buy the glass jars to put them in at car boot sales. Oh commented on how professional they looked this year and dd said I was extra. My mum always cooks Xmas dinner, and only have Dd to get a main present for so I wouldnt say we have a really expensive time but it still feels tight.
I try to budget every month but it always seems something makes me go over, plus the cost of everything is rising.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List