Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Dec 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Unfortunatly cyclists like that give us sensible ones a bad name, I cycle to work at 6.45am, it’s very dark at the moment and some street lamps aren’t even on. I have bright lights and high vis clothing. However this doesn’t stop drivers cutting me up on a daily basis and this happens when I’m cycling in the light. Yesterday someone pulled out right in front of me because they couldn’t be bothered to wait and I had to brake to stop myself crashing into them.
The worst time is when I’m turning right into my road, I stick my hand out in plenty of time and then a car whizzes past me. Luckily I cycle how I drive, slowly
I often wonder how someone would feel if they actually hit me. (Because of their impatience)
So, yes people are stupid regardless if they are cycling or driving.

Edited at 07:40 AM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Another cyclist on here with insurance. Most sportive events insist on it.

On the riding side-by-side bit. Until I got into cycling I never got this. But one reason to do it (particularly in a group) is it shortens the length of road you’re taking up so it’s easier for a motorist to overtake. In most cases, overtaking will mean going across the centre line whether the cyclists are one or two abreast so this is safer all round. In large groups, accepted rule is to not to have more than 10 cyclists in a bunch so that overtaking is manageable. Not everyone does this and I appreciate that there are cyclists we could all do without, same with a minority of drivers.

As an aside, it’s on my bucket list to cycle from DL to WDW. Coast to coast cycling is not that unusual over there but googling hasn’t shown anyone who’s done this particular route before. Would take about 5 weeks so me be a post-retirement thing..
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
Nothing wrong with cyclists riding side by side.

Perfectly legal.
shortens the distance you need to overtake ie/ only one bike length instead of two if riding behind each other
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I see a cyclist ever night on my way home from work who drives me potty. He weaves in and out of traffic anyway and pulls across in front of you, doesn’t stop at traffic lights and then when we hit the town centre one way system he just goes the way he needs to go regardless of the direction of the traffic - so he just goes right through the middle of the traffic lights and the. The opposite way up a 4 lane traffic road! Aren’t cyclist supposed to observe the roads if they are driving on them - one way systems/traffic lights etc?
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I see a cyclist ever night on my way home from work who drives me potty. He weaves in and out of traffic anyway and pulls across in front of you, doesn’t stop at traffic lights and then when we hit the town centre one way system he just goes the way he needs to go regardless of the direction of the traffic - so he just goes right through the middle of the traffic lights and the. The opposite way up a 4 lane traffic road! Aren’t cyclist supposed to observe the roads if they are driving on them - one way systems/traffic lights etc?
yep but as with car drivers (im both) some just ignore the rules and crack on as they see fit...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

I'm fortunate enough to live in a town with endless cycle tracks. You can get anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE via them. The amount of times I see cyclists in the road literally next to the cycle track. That's what they were built for, please use them!
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
I'm fortunate enough to live in a town with endless cycle tracks. You can get anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE via them. The amount of times I see cyclists in the road literally next to the cycle track. That's what they were built for, please use them!
I can explain the most likely reason for this, but you’re not going to like it! Those tracks often get washed with grit/debris off the road by lorries etc and so cyclists (on skinny-tyred road-bikes at least) will avoid for fear of punctures. The less they get used the more they become unusable. I really do get how frustrating that is for motorists. Not guilty myself as I live in the sticks but I expect that’s what you’re seeing.

Mallorca has it right. Smallish hard shoulder alongside the road for cyclists, good tarmac, get used a lot so stay clean, so despite loads of cyclists no cars are held up and no riders are at risk. And the more people cycle, the fewer cars about so less congestion for those who need to drive. Everyone happy.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^ was just about to post the same

same with why we don't ride in the gutter as they are invariably awash with all sorts of crap & debris from the road due to the camber of the road, so take up a position on the road in the clean carriageway
Old 12 Dec 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
^^ was just about to post the same

same with why we don't ride in the gutter as they are invariably awash with all sorts of crap & debris from the road due to the camber of the road, so take up a position on the road in the clean carriageway
Or as a lot do - cycle on pavements instead of the road.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Or as a lot do - cycle on pavements instead of the road.
without i hope sounding like a pedant , i would say thats people on bikes rather than cyclists... if your doing a route/run/training going on the paths isnt the best option to use...