Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Dec 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

My kids were the same age as yours on our first trip, on our first full day we were at magic kingdom for rope drop with a mid day break back at the hotel (they went to the pool) and then back in mk at tea time until closing for the fireworks. If you can take a bit of a break from the parks in the afternoon then I’d say go for it. It would be a shame to miss it.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Garlicbread View Post
Thanks for all your advice so far... im torn. I think we will all be tired but... really would like to take in a Magics game and its the only one on when we are there.

For those that asked, were not hiring a car until our second week so will probably use uber.
I initially said no, but now you've slightly changed the goalposts by explaining that this is a one off opportunity. So Instead of answering "should I do this", Here's how I'd tackle it. Book a hotel the night before you depart the UK, so that you are not having to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the airport. You will then depart the UK with a minimum of sleep deprivation. Then on arrival in the US, go to bed ridiculously early, as close to UK bedtime as you can. This way you will sleep properly, and while you will still be mostly on uk time you will be able to get to your game without any sleep deprivation. It's then the tiredness of staying up one night ! It will still be hard, but easier than if you try and adjust on the first night, or have sleep deprivation carried over from the night before you travel.

Another option is to have a nap on the first afternoon.

Finally the lottery winners option, upgrade to first class and have a nap on the way over.
Old 12 Dec 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

For me, the hardest thing about a first full day in the park would be the heat. I would go and rest in the afternoon and get out of the heat and then go to the game.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We have a similar situation when we go next year.
Our first day is the last day Sea World have their Electric Ocean shows, and we've never seen that before, so don't know if we'll be in a fit state to stay til the night.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Go to a sports bar, best of both worlds get the atmosphere and if you all get over tired (which you will) you can get back to your accommodation as and when you please.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

On our last trip we landed on.the thursday evening and spent the friday in universal followed by seeing penn & teller at hard rock. Me and my hubby coped. My 10yr old was falling asleep 😂😂😂
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

When you go you do not suffer jetlag or what I would call jetlag. You suffer from time difference and tiredness. Jet lag is different. So when it is 8pm, you are still on 1am. You can still sleep normally and through the night, but you just want to go to bed early. You have also likely been up since very early as when you wake up at 5am the first morning, you feel like it is 10am. So this whammy of long day travelling and likely up very early that morning, up early the next morning and still on UK time five hours ahead means that you are likely knackered by 8pm first night. You will however usually sleep pretty well from day one going, albeit you may be up early and tired early.
I call jetlag when you come home, and your body clock becomes messed up due to melatonin issues- i.e. your hormones become imbalanced. Pure jetlag usually only happens travelling west to east. This means that you may be tired at the normal time of 10pm and fall asleep, but then wake at 2 am and not be able to get back to sleep. You feel sick and generally unwell. You might not be able to get to sleep most of the night. You feel groggy and drowsy in the day even though you didn't get a bad nights sleep. This can take a good week or more to get over. Taking melatonin when you come home can have a dramatic effect on this in making it better.
So for me, I would not be booking an evening basketball gane first night- it isn't impossible but I suspect you will have been up since 5am or earlier- the day before travelling and will be tired. Now we do not even go out for a meal the first proper day, we go back to the DVC, villa or wherever and have something to eat early evening and take it easy around the hotel trying to stay up until around 10. But maybe we are softies. My kids (similar age a bit older) would be tired out and that would be no fun whatsoever for us.

Edited at 06:48 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi if it's your second night that's a different story, it would perhaps suggest an afternoon nap for the little one that afternoon
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Buy some Melatonin from Walgreens or CVS. It's what your body naturally produces to tell you you're tired.

If you go to bed at around 10pm US time, put ear plugs in and take a Melatonin, set the alarm for 7am and you should be ok. If you can have a mid day snoozette on your first day, even better, but not more than 1 hour or your body clock will go skew whiff.

Stay up until 10-11pm again, take a Melatonin and set the alarm for 7-8am.

The Melatonin is not a sleeping tablet, it mimics the natural hormone produced in your body (like taking a Vit C tablet). It basically helps you stay 'under' and not stir at 4am like most people do when they travel west.
We swear by it - it's so good, I can now go to work the day we land or the day after and feel absolutely fine.

Joa
Old 13 Dec 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

We always 'force' ourselves to stay up late on the first night. Bit of food in DS, then in the pool until closing and off to bed. Although we are flagging a bit by the end of the day it sets us up for the next so we wouldnt have any issues with a late night on Day 2.

coming back though...

This year we had a 4 hour stop over in Gatwick wating for our flight to Edinburgh, i dont know if that had anything to do with it but we seriously suffered for the next week to 10 days
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List