Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Dec 18, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Halsteragain
Trying for More Ears

Mobile If miss connection virgin say we'll be charged to change ticket.

I've had an email exchange with Virgin Atlantic about what happens if we miss our connection at JFK en route to Tampa.

They are saying that if it's their fault they will of course put us on the next available flight and put is up overnight if necessary.

However, if we miss the connection due to, say, long queues at immigration/security then we will be charged to change our ticket - £150/person plus any difference in fare.

"If the flight isn't delayed and you miss your connection normal fare rules would apply to the booking and you would be charged to change your ticket -- a fee of £150 per person, plus any difference in fare"

I'm pretty gobsmacked by this to be honest. Can this be right?!
Halsteragain is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
billbarbara229
Imagineer

Probably not as US Airlines are used to it Virgin are tight and they would but as it's not their flight they have no say.
Make sure you tell security if things get close at JFK it's much more efficient than Orlando
Happy Christmas
billbarbara229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

As long as you have abided by the airlines minimum connection times then they should be liable if its all booked as one ticket.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Halsteragain
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
As long as you have abided by the airlines minimum connection times then they should be liable if its all booked as one ticket.
You would think so wouldn't you? All booked as one ticket. Connection longer than minimum connection time.
However Virgin are saying they are absolutely not liable if we miss it.
Halsteragain is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
lucylou
Excited about Disney

I was delayed at Dallas once and missed my connection due to queues at immigration. I had to pay for my own overnight accommodation but was booked on the next flight free of charge. My booking was a through ticket with American Airlines.

I am again travelling on 23rd, strike permitting, and have a 3 hour layover in JFK. Fingers crossed that this will be enough time.
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm afraid you've been fed a load of rubbish there. Never, ever seen anyone on here charged despite numerous missed flight posts. Unless anyone has an example of this happening to them?
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post

caa/Passengers/Res...-a-connection/
interestingly there is a line that says "the cause of you missing the connection must be within the airlines control"...& I suppose they could argue that immigration/security isn't in their control however if they are selling this as a through ticket ,I really cant imagine that they wouldn't just re-book you on a later flight,particularly in USA as journeys involving connections from regional to hub airports are so common. was this a direct booking with VAtlantic ?I am always nervous about short connection times (& a lot of 3rd party agents seem to sell these tickets) but as u've said u r abiding by their minimum connection times. I do hope its just an agent getting mixed up with separate ticket booking rules! there are people on here who've done the north-heathrow-Gatwick-usa route & I've always wondered how airlines view this route as the potential for delays getting between heathrow & Gatwick must be huge.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Is it a code share e.g. a Delta flight that also has a VS number?
Sounds like just another reason to avoid Virgin if they have any intention of trying to enforce this (which I seriously doubt)

So long as you have a through ticket under one reservation number you'll be fine. If you have seperate tickets it'd be a different matter.

Edited at 12:07 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Not sure what they would constitute their fault v yours?

e.g. if a flight was delayed or you had a long wait in immigration that's pretty much out of your control V someone wasting time in duty free and missing a flight, how they could prove either way? for the latter someone could just say they were delayed in immigration (or similar excuse)?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Not sure what they would constitute their fault v yours?

e.g. if a flight was delayed or you had a long wait in immigration that's pretty much out of your control V someone wasting time in duty free and missing a flight, how they could prove either way? for the latter someone could just say they were delayed in immigration (or similar excuse)?
You'd be surprised even when I worked at Heathrow airside years ago we got constant updates on if there were hold ups or not for passengers both coming through and transiting. With the better technology now I'm sure they can tell.

Most people are covered under insurance anyway but with years of indirect flights I've never had to pay to rebook (even on seperate tickets when I should have paid I've always put on my best British accent and got rebooked for free)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List