Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 18, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

We have never had a do paid for by my employer. In teams we decide what we’d like to do together, for example this year we had lunch in a nice pub all together, and next week we’re ordering in breakfast and doing secret Santa. No contribution from our employer and no partners.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

I worked for Shell 20-30 years ago and we used to have loads of Christmas parties, each different department had one and you’d get invited to all of them which were on different afternoons, this was alcohol and in the office. Then our department would have a black tie party at a nice hotel... I’m sure we paid a bit towards them but not a lot. As the years went on and they had to make cuts to staff then departments were given the tax free amount and it was up to them how they spent it. It was such a fabulous company to work for.

I work in adult education now, so my students bring food in on the last day of Xmas term and that’s our Xmas party now
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
gemms2000
Getting Excited

Mobile

Had ours last night, we were given £25pp contribution.
We went to a really odd bar in Manchester where there was a table tennis table and a beer pong table. It looked like it was going to be a rubbish night until the drink tokens got handed out, domino’s got delivered and the karaoke went on! Fab night, feeling a bit queasy today though 😁
gemms2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

We have a summer party, which has a completely free bar and food. Plus games ect.

Then we have a winter drinks, which you get 5 drinks vouchers and a buffet.

Then i have a client party, which is a completely free bar in november.

Plus we have An event every mknth from our sports and social. Like cinema trips ect

Oh and we have a team meal but we pay for that one !

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Emmie2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I work for 111 which is not directly NHS (it’s like subcontracted, non profit making)... this is my 3rd Christmas and the first where there’s been a paid for Christmas “do” at a local hotel, partners welcome but cost is £40+... no drink included... usually have a subsidised “do”... someone has had the cheek to ask if the organisation will pay childcare costs so they can attend...
Previously NHS so any “do’s” have been organised and paid for by the staff themselves...
I do have memories of being a student nurse and midwife 30-40+ years ago... we used to set aside a side room and put a table up which was loaded with food and drink, during break times you would visit other wards to sample their hospitality... some very merry christmases then, wouldn’t happen now of course...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
wow can understand at a work funded/sanctioned event but if you organise it yourselves in your own time etc?
We were told no alcohol as it was because we were representatives of the employer and could bring them into disrepute
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I remember my dad telling me about Xmas dos of the past - him and mum would join a thames river cruise for a black tie do (back in the 80s).
By the time he left - self employed consultant in the oil industry it was a pint in the pub for anyone who could be bothered

My DH firm have several dos a year - hotel and everything paid for - but no partners. Money pretty much no object

My emergency services xmas do is self funded - the boss comes for dinner and buys us all a drink then she leaves us to it!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I work in the NHS in fertility, all the consultant gynaecologists put on a Christmas party for the staff with tons of alcohol that they keep topping your glass up with constantly. I only lasted 2 hours this year as just can't drink like that, when you're standing around sipping your wine you don't realise how much it's been topped up!

I think it's a lovely touch, they pay for the alcohol and food themselves and man the bar all evening, never experienced anything like that in the NHS before!
My friend works for a large surgery - the doctors fund the xmas do AND also give all the staff vouchers or gifts!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I work in a school & we all pay for our own "do". We always have but this has been the cheapest. The dearest was a £45 3 course meal & disco which we found meal wise was overpriced for the quality.

For the second year running our local footie club has held party (disco) nights at £25 a head including a hot/cold buffet. We will probably do it again next year as it was so good for the price. The bar was pretty cheap as well & measures were brilliant.
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

My do tomorrow is a lunch in a city centre hotel, then we have a floor to ourselves in a big pub. with disco.
We'll get our £10 deposit back and have 3 vouchers for drinks in the pub. Since the male/female ratio of the 115 people going is 3/1 and on my table 10/1, I will endeavour to snaffle everyone's welcome glass of fizz. I managed 8 last year
Team leaders and directors are generous with getting a round in and for some reason in previous years people leaving with drinks vouchers gave them to me.
I do have to be careful with my alcohol intake as I have to make my own way home as my husband is out on his Christmas meal. He's going to a fully paid for posh restaurant with 7 courses. I expect they will even pay his taxi home.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List