Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Dec 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

This summer we went on a budget of around $100-$120 per day for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 older teenagers). We never had any character meals and ate mainly quick service but to be honest it was easier than I thought it would be. We bought cereal and milk and ate breakfast in our room every day, also bought snacks at Walmart rather than buying in the parks (although we did have ice creams some days).

We had extra money for buying at the outlets so the budget was just to cover food. Also we stayed onsite so didn’t have any parking to pay for which helped as well.

We still had a great time and didn’t feel like we missed out on anything at all.
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
we last went in 2015 and this morning have just booked to go back next August too (was meant to be going to Greece!) , we will probably only do universal too so will read this thread with interest. My son went to Phoenix this year and moaned how expensive things were there!
We did the same, priced up Greece and thought for that price we may as well go back to Florida! We planned to go every 5 years so it's only a year early. We also feel guilty as dh and I went to Barbados for 2 wks this April without the kids! It was out 15th anniversary😶 but feel like we need to make amends!

I've put a thread on car hire page and a lovely Alamo guy has quoted £430 with others recommending him, I know it's prob the best I can get but it's aggreaving me as same car was £241 in 2015! Plus parking charges gone up!
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
We did the same, priced up Greece and thought for that price we may as well go back to Florida! We planned to go every 5 years so it's only a year early. We also feel guilty as dh and I went to Barbados for 2 wks this April without the kids! It was out 15th anniversary😶 but feel like we need to make amends!

I've put a thread on car hire page and a lovely Alamo guy has quoted £430 with others recommending him, I know it's prob the best I can get but it's aggreaving me as same car was £241 in 2015! Plus parking charges gone up!
It was the villa in Greece that was pushing the price up which made me think to look again at Orlando(as well as my youngest asking to go back), if I compare flights and villa the prices are the same for both places but obviously now with Orlando I will have part tickets to buy and the universal ones certainly have increased by a fair bit !Hoping to try and squeeze in Discovery cove as its my sons 21st whilst out there but we shall see if that happens: grin:Oh and mickeys Halloween party if that is on , it may have been wiser to stick to Greece!
Old 16 Dec 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

There are 9 of us in our group. We always havea villa and on arrival day we do a big supermarket shop (I do a list before we leave) and split the bill between the 4 families. After that we top up as we need stuff. We take turns to buy petrol, pay for parking, and dinners on the way back to the villa or breakfast on non park days. We also buy enough alcohol for the three weeks and set up a bar in the kitchen. Last time hubby and I took $1500 each and had "leftovers". We don't eat in the parks, maybe a snack at lunchtime, and bought everything we wanted (including a large Disney christmas ornament, Mickey and friends on a sledge) as we thought it would be our last trip. I have already got my "pocket money" sorted taking into account we won't be getting the $1.45 we got last time.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Not eating in the parks is key to saving money, we try to avoid eating in the parks unless it is a planned dining experience.
We will buy things like ice scream in the parks and maybe a snack meal if needed.

If we are hungry we will come out of the park to eat this also gives us a break and if the party want we will return to villa to relax after eating.

We budget $50 per day but do not always use that and on some days it may be more or less but will balance out
Old 16 Dec 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We allow $35 a day. Staying onsite DDP
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Well the costs keep rising... I've booked a car now
Car hire
2015 £241.50
2018 £458.00

When we went Aug 2015 our kids were 7 & 8 and disney mad so we had 14 day disney tickets, sea world aquatica and Busch gardens. Did wild florida and outta control magic show. Left universal as kids so small and no time for anything else! Anyway when we got back we realised we were busy everyday and only went most places once so struggled to remember what we did where! People ask me now did you go on such and such and I'm like errrm I dunno and they look at me like I'm mad...Maybe I am 🤷
Sooo the plan this time was relax a bit more and go only to universal so can go to the 3 parks 2-3 times each, but... can we go without seeing Mickey? No parade? No fireworks? Our hotel is 10 mins from AK...
Looked around and set dates 2 park tickets apx £740 so could go MK and AK, bill is literally double last time and could do without this expense but if the plan is to go every 5 years then surely we should go big 😁
Next time kids would be 17/18 so would be a totally different holiday! Loose plans were Disney 1st time universal 2nd time discover cove, space centre, beach next time.

Would you fork out that much extra for 2 days disney? Or would u plan cheaper things... cinema, bowling, gatorland, golf etc.

We found time for mall shopping and loads of eateries and downtown disney last time so will this time too.

It's late, I've had wine, I'm waffling nonsense. Goodnight! 🍷😂
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

In my experience it's best to wait until wine is out of system before ordering tickets 😁

If still seems worthwhile, go for it !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
Well the costs keep rising... I've booked a car now
Car hire
2015 £241.50
2018 £458.00

When we went Aug 2015 our kids were 7 & 8 and disney mad so we had 14 day disney tickets, sea world aquatica and Busch gardens. Did wild florida and outta control magic show. Left universal as kids so small and no time for anything else! Anyway when we got back we realised we were busy everyday and only went most places once so struggled to remember what we did where! People ask me now did you go on such and such and I'm like errrm I dunno and they look at me like I'm mad...Maybe I am 🤷
Sooo the plan this time was relax a bit more and go only to universal so can go to the 3 parks 2-3 times each, but... can we go without seeing Mickey? No parade? No fireworks? Our hotel is 10 mins from AK...
Looked around and set dates 2 park tickets apx £740 so could go MK and AK, bill is literally double last time and could do without this expense but if the plan is to go every 5 years then surely we should go big 😁
Next time kids would be 17/18 so would be a totally different holiday! Loose plans were Disney 1st time universal 2nd time discover cove, space centre, beach next time.

Would you fork out that much extra for 2 days disney? Or would u plan cheaper things... cinema, bowling, gatorland, golf etc.

We found time for mall shopping and loads of eateries and downtown disney last time so will this time too.

It's late, I've had wine, I'm waffling nonsense. Goodnight! 🍷😂
I wouldn’t book Disney tickets yet. Wait and see and read up on Disney After Hours. These are currently being held at MK, DHS and AK. The latter two are new. The tickets may cost a similar amount to full day tickets but you can accomplish so much more. Definitely worth considering.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
minshus
Excited about Disney

It's very difficult to budget in these uncertain times, should a no deal Brexit happen, the pound will instantly drop against all major currencies including the US dollar, and your budget will be out of the window.

The pound had devalued 11.8% against the US dollar since April and come this April, and if the worst was to happen I can see the £ devaluing another 10%-20% against the dollar. Many holiday plans will be ruined, and plenty of holidays will be getting cancelled, including my own.

Edited at 02:37 AM.
minshus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List