Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Dec 18, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Car people - car been recalled, should I worry? **UPDATE POST 38**

Hi

We have a 6 yr old BMW diesel estate. A couple of months ago the coolant indicator came on. As it was due it's service and MOT we mentioned it to the garage (not BMW) and they checked it. Said the levels were fine and cleaned/reset the sensor and it has been all fine. I have also noticed an exhaust/diesel-y smell occasionally but as it has been in traffic just assumed it was from outside.

However, on Thursday we got a letter from BMW saying it is subject to a recall for some part that may cause a fire. The symptoms were:

coolant warning
hot engine smell
loss of power

I phoned or local dealership and was told that they weren't doing any until February 2019 as they don't have the part but if I'm worried just call the BMW emergency service!

Dh reckons it is alright but worry wart here is unhappy We are off to Devon for Christmas next Saturday. We have to take this car as our other one is only 2 seater, no boot space and convertible so can't put the roof rack on.

We have breakdown cover but will it be covered as we know about it, or do I phone BMW emergency service and demand it is fixed now or they give me a courtesy car?

BTW the dealership said that when they do it, it takes 2-3 days as the engine has to be stone cold and they won't be able to give us a loan car for that length of time

Thanks guys!

Edited at 04:57 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I would put something in writing to bmw head office via email to express your concern with the car's symptons and request that as the issue has been identified as a bmw manufacturing issue, you are politely requesting the issue is resolved this week rather than being forced to wait until February, or they provide you with a courtesy car due to the serious safety issue.

Even when we put an older car in for a recall to Honda they still offered us a courtesy car (I think it was £15 for the day's insurance though). I think the dealer isn't being very helpful because even if they need it for a week due to a bmw fault, you should be allowed a courtesy car.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am baffled how it takes an engine 2 to 3 days to cool down.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post

BTW the dealership said that when they do it, it takes 2-3 days as the engine has to be stone cold and they won't be able to give us a loan car for that length of time:
Wouldn't worry me at all. I would carry on as normal.

Have you tried a different BMW dealer ? Some are better than others.

It it must be off road for 2 to 3 days, and there is no courtesy car (not unusual when coping with recalls), maybe think about hiring something ?
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
You have to remember you need to deal with BMW not the dealership.

I'd be calling them straight away, and telling them at the very least you want a courtesy car for the whole time the other car is in for repairs as its not your fault but theirs.
Old 16 Dec 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

The recall is prompted by an issue raised by the South Korean government.
In fairness to BMW it appears a very minor highly unlikely event.
The dealer you have contacted however is blowing out their
A@$!.
Personally would speak to another dealer.
BMW aren't ranked very high in customer satisfaction of course as always some will be superb and others S#$!e.
Don't be over concerned.
Old 16 Dec 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
www.press.bmwgroup.com/bmw-group-information-technical-campaign/en

due to the fact that you mention coolant it sounds like your car is one of the cars being recalled due to the EGR cooler fault (exhaust gas regeneration cooler)

had you taken to your car to BMW for service and mentioned the coolant indicator coming on they would have checked the EGR/EGR cooler then as this has been a known issue for a while

if you took your car to BMW tomorrow and they said your car was in need of parts too cure the issue then they would advise you not to drive the car until the repair has been carried out and i have heard of some dealers not allowing customers to take affected cars away from the dealership as they have diagnosed a problem and if you drove the car away and it caught fire then they could be held liable

if it was my car i would just carry on as normal until the car can go in, also if you have multiple BMW dealers in your area then ring around to see if they can look at it sooner, but as far as i am aware there are no parts available in the UK to complete the repair hence the reluctance to look at your car and diagnose a fault
force ten is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
HarryPotterGeek
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I’ve just had this with my 3 series, my local BMW service centre said it wasn’t a problem to keep driving it but they were able to take it in the following week. It was completed in a day though, went in first thing in the morning and I picked it up at 6. Is there not another BMW service centre you can use that has availability sooner than Feb? It doesn’t matter which one you use if there is an alternative.
HarryPotterGeek is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Thank you for the advice everyone. I have checked with our breakdown insurance and they will still cover us. The coolant sensor hasn't pinged on again and the car isn't overheating. The smell is only on startup and dh thinks it is ok. We are just going to be sensible and take care, nothing else we can do but boy will BMW get a rocket if something was to happen.

Re the dealership it is 5 mins away and walkable so very convenient, and mostly they are very good. When we did have it serviced there when it was younger they had phoned dh to say they needed to keep it overnight, however he didn't pass the message on so I walked up to get it! Although it wasn't their fault I turned up they still got someone to run me home, needless to say dh was not popular that night! Also the other nearest ones are 40 mins east or west. I may phone them in the new year regarding the courtesy car situation but at the moment if there are no parts in the country, then there are no parts!

Edited at 06:31 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
BMW has revealed it intends to recall 268,000 diesel-engined models in the UK over a potential fire risk caused by a leaking part. The recall specifies that the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler can, in some cases, leak glycol liquid.
when you think of the scale of this recall then it is not really surprising that there are no parts available to carry out work required

I dont think any car manufacture in the world would have 300,000 EGR coolers sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for this type of event, so they are at the mercy of the supply chain and will be fitting replacement parts as fast as they get there hands on them

the same will go for courtesy cars, most of the dealers are franchised dealers and will have a limited number of cars available as loan cars and they will still have the regular service and repair customers that will also require a courtesy cars so they will not have enough loan cars to go around, I think in a situation like this people have to be understanding and patient and work with the dealership to get the issue resolved as soon as humanly possible.
force ten is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by force ten View Post
when you think of the scale of this recall then it is not really surprising that there are no parts available to carry out work required

I dont think any car manufacture in the world would have 300,000 EGR coolers sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for this type of event, so they are at the mercy of the supply chain and will be fitting replacement parts as fast as they get there hands on them

the same will go for courtesy cars, most of the dealers are franchised dealers and will have a limited number of cars available as loan cars and they will still have the regular service and repair customers that will also require a courtesy cars so they will not have enough loan cars to go around, I think in a situation like this people have to be understanding and patient and work with the dealership to get the issue resolved as soon as humanly possible.
To put this in perspective BMW rang me last week about a warning light on my car.
The earliest Sytner could supply me with a courtesy car was the first week of February. Not to worry as I will walk or get a bus so it's going in early January

Spooky that as they have 167 cars on their forecourt according to their website!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List