Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 18, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Highs/Lows/Thoughts and the future

Hi all

Warning! This post is a lot longer than I was expecting! I'm not sure if I will get round to a trip report - although I do really want to do one and I have notes.. it just might be a while!

Well we've been back nearly a week now and I finally feel well enough from this chest infection to sit up long enough to write this and think!

We had a really lovely trip, though some of it was marred by a few issues, though overall we had a great time!

Highs in no particular order:

Hard Rock Hotel - really lovely as always! This is my 3rd time staying here and Si's 2nd. We had a tucked away garden view room on the 4th floor and no rooms opposite so it was really nice and quiet.
Transport from here to the parks was great, never waited very long for the boat and we walked it a couple of times (well, Si walked, I was in the wheelchair!) this is definitely not the advertised 10 minutes, 5 at absolute most.

Wilderness Lodge Lobby - This was absolutely stunning! I stood there speechless every time we walked in there (and we had to go through the lobby every day because of where our room was). I facetimed my mum as soon as we got in there and I've never done that before as she has no interest in Disney but even she loved it!

Table Service Dining Plan - This was our first time on this and we really enjoyed it and found it so easy. We had a couple of meals we wouldn't bother with again but we had some brilliant meals as well. Although this is not something we will get every trip, it is something we would do again as we didn't feel too restricted with times.

Free money! Everyone loves a bit of free money, and we had our account credited with $200 - for no apparent reason but Disney said it had been done before check in and we were free to use it. We also got two giftcards and we took that as an apology from Virgin for their mistake when overbooking our holiday (it probably was just another mistake on their behalf but it worked out nicely for us!)

Getting Simon on Rollercoasters - Now this man hates coasters. His reaction made me cry on Flight of the Hippogriff (yes really!) back in 2016 and I banned him from coasters since that. However he did The Mummy, Rock 'N' Rollercoaster, Gringotts (which he did in 2016 and loved except for the drop), Big Thunder Mountain and Tower of Terror (which he enjoyed! I did not.. I will not be doing that again!)

Flight of Passage - This ride is amazing! I was nervous about going on it as it turns out this time around, I can't do simulators anymore But I absolutely loved it and we managed to do it 4 times. Simon thought it was brilliant and hasn't stopped talking about it!

Volcano Bay - The weather was really cloudy so we didn't spend that long here, but we will definitely go back here as it seemed to be q world away from the other water parks in Florida. The fearless lazy river was great fun! Though sitting at the front of the Aquacoaster did not make for a comfortable landing...

Teppan Edo - Really good fun! Completely out of my comfort zone eating with other people and just having the food cooked for you while seeing everything that goes into it. I am not great with food, I would never choose to go somewhere like that at home but I knew Simon would love it so I booked it. Honestly it was great fun and the food was lovely so that will definitely become a regular on each trip now.

California Grill - the food here was lovely. They were great with me and the sever straight away told me everything that would be in the dishes I wanted and gave me ALL the alternatives! (I'm fussy - but to the point of being sick due to textures and some flavours which is why I hate trying new things if we are out). He did forget our drinks, and then forget my starter; but he didn't charge us for that when he did bring it over. He also brought us a couple of glasses of prosecco which was lovely of him. We could see the castle from our table and would have been able to see the fireworks but we decided to go outside. We had a lovely view - but it really does surprise you quite how far away the fireworks are!

Lows (sadly there was a few):

Magic Kingdom - They've crammed in way too many party nights and now everyone is forced to use the same few days to try and see Happily Ever After. Unfortunately the crowds for this were unbearable (Wednesday 5th November), I tried to stand up out of my wheelchair because I couldn't see anything (I appreciate fireworks are in the sky, however the projections on the castle are not and I couldn't see the castle) and someone knocked into me for about the 100th time that night and I went flying. Landed on another guest and on the edge of her pram so I was very bruised and more to the point very embarrassed. I managed to get back up into the wheelchair and just cried through the entire show wanting to go home.
Guest services offered us fast passes and I couldn't be bothered to argue because the only other option they were giving me was claim forms to sue them - which was a little dramatic. So we accepted the fast passes and I emailed guest services when we got back to the hotel to make sure that everything was passed on correctly. I genuinely believe that night had there been an emergency, cast members wouldn't have been able to get in, nor would the guests have been able to get out. I've been in August a couple of times previously and this was honestly the worst I have seen these crowds. Guest services were very quick coming back to us and we got offered VIP viewing for Illuminations on the Friday night which was lovely - but I still never got to see Happily Ever After.

Housekeeping - We checked into our room and it looked lovely and clean, though we did find a sandwich in the fridge so I was then a little concerned as to how well it had been cleaned.
Our bed linen was also not changed until I called them on day 8 - I knew it hadn't been changed because annoyingly I had dropped fanta on the corner of the sheet - and that stuff is BRIGHT orange over there. Within 2 minutes of me putting the phone down the housekeeping manager was at our door, she had a full clean and service done of our room, little chocolates left on the pillows and everything was cleaned within an inch of its life.
I know they're stretched for housekeeping at the moment, but when you're staying in a deluxe hotel and they don't even offer the option of turning down housekeeping - I really do think standards need to be kept up. We did also find the that bath/sinks weren't being cleaned properly. We actually have received 2 nights refunded back to us for this so we are awaiting the cheque in the post.

Transport - This really was a nightmare for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Shortest wait for on of these buses was half an hour, longest was an hour and a half which meant a missed dining reservation, 3 missed fast passes (2 on 1 night, 1 on another) and really pushing it to get to our fireworks viewing of illuminations.
We reported this a couple of times but nothing seemed to change. The night we missed our reservation for Teppan Edo and then in turn two fast passes was a nightmare. Our reservation was at 5.50 - we were waiting for that bus at 4.45 and we didn't get a bus until 6.15. This bus then went to Fort Wilderness for another pick up and we didn't get to Teppan Edo until 7pm.
We complained, several other american families complained but honestly they weren't interested - everyone just kept getting told "we'll report it to the transportation team" but nothing changed.
But on the plus side, we never had a problem with Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs or Magic Kingdom buses.

Flight home - distinct lack of organisation really. We had a lovely children's charity on our flight so it took quite a long time to board them before any of us could board (35 minutes). Which wasn't a problem, except for the lack of seats. We all know that MCO is a terrible airport - but because the gate was cordened off for this party, there wasn't enough space for people to sit down. Made for a very painful wait for those of us with disabilties. I was clinging onto my crutches by the end of this like they were disappearing from me.
Quite a few passengers tried to push in and board with the charity - and it was left to the charity leaders to tell them no, VA staff didn't get involved at all which wasn't very good at all to be honest.

My only gripe was with one member of staff from this charity, she made quite a rude comment about people being annoyed they had to stand or wait so long to board, but she made it very loudly so that people would hear. It was along the lines of "they should be thankful they can all stand and wait, these children can't" - she made this comment in front of special assistance patrons. 2 of us were actually in tears with pain because of the waiting, and she knew we were the only people who could hear her comments. She then kept stopping on the way down to the plane to take selfies etc and holding us up even more - trying to get down a plane on crutches, with tears in your eyes and having to make a lot of charity members move out the aisles was not the best start to that flight at all.

Thoughts/Observations:

We loved seeing everything decorated for christmas, we did the cookie stroll, chip and dales chritmas hunt thing, and mickey's very merry christmas party. But we don't think we will go back at that time of year (until we have kids, then we'll want them to see it). It was definitely more crowed than when we've been in august before which was odd.

Universal crowds we empty and we didn't need our express pass at all.

We didn't wait for anything at Disney really other than 20 minutes for Test Track but that is purely down to having good luck with fast passes and using the DAS. Otherwise we really would have struggled. I can see how offsite guests would struggle as well from this trip.

Weather - it was weird! I've never seen it go from 12 to 32 and back to 12 again. We actually went and bought more layers because we were freezing a couple of times. Not so bad when I was walking or using my crutches, but it tended to be night time that I needed the wheelchair because we'd done a lot during the day and this would mean I was absolutely freezing as I wasn't moving and it got quite windy.

Wilderness Lodge - I wasn't blown away by it. I was expecting it to be, I kept seeing comments about how once you've stayed there you won't stay anywhere else. Not true for us - we've found our next couple of hotels . We would stay there again - but I wouldn't rush back. It was a lovely hotel and there was nothing particularly wrong with it but I wouldn't rush to stay there again soon.
The lobby was beautiful, the pool was great and the location of our room was brilliant. But it didn't have the deluxe feel to it for us.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - we enjoyed it, but we preffered the halloween one. We're glad we did it, but we won't do that again until we have kids.

Universal - Can't wait for the opening of the new Harry Potter ride and any expansion work they've got coming up. But if it wasn't for that we both said we would give it a miss on our next trip. Far too many simulators for my liking!

Future plans:

Well all planning is now firmly on the wedding! So there are no current (firm) plans to go back to Walt Disney World in the next couple of years.
Simon did repeatedly keep saying on this trip "next time..." so I have definitely converted him and we are thinking of potentially doing the 50th anniversary. But that depends on honeymoon plans as our wedding is May 2020 and we might not have a proper honeymoon until 2021 due to funds.

Hotels we will be looking at for next time: Beach/Yacht Club and Boardwalk. Simon fell in love with these when we went to look at the ginger bread creations. (We also did a DVC tour so he's contemplating that for the future... distant future!)

Tokyo is in the plans for the future and so are plenty of disney cruises - next time (If we do the 50th it will be a disney only, try and keep it cheap trip so probably a value resort) we would like to do a cruise and stay trip.

But no plans in the next two years definitely. So there will be lots to see when we go back next!

I'm staying around on The Dibb as I absolutely love this forum - most people are so helpful in everything - and I know what we're like so we'll end up booking something despite me being determined not to!

Thank you for all your help - we had a great time and we weren't ready to come home xxx
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like Disney sorted out a lot of your issues.

We always leave 2 hours to get to dining reservations especially Epcot due to the distance involved getting through the parks.

Sounds like you had a blast.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I agree with the point about these parties. I despise them. There was a time when you paid for the park ticket and got a full day. Then they started nickel and diming guests to attend parties, at extortionate rates. Horrible but it’s here to stay.
I remember going on Halloween and it was included in the park ticket.
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Sounds like a good time was had albeit a few common themes appearing such as the parties and crowds etc.

I know exactly what you mean about the WL lobby. Stunning and even better than the GF in my view.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I agree with the point about these parties. I despise them. There was a time when you paid for the park ticket and got a full day. Then they started nickel and diming guests to attend parties, at extortionate rates. Horrible but it’s here to stay.
I remember going on Halloween and it was included in the park ticket.
When do the parties run? I have never been that time of year but I would like or see Christmas decorations at some point.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Absolutely agree about the parties. We are lucky enough to be able to go to the Top of the World Lounge to watch the fireworks, but can't see the projections on the castle so they would be nice to see.

So sorry to hear that someone caused you to fall, that can't have been nice. They do like to crush people in - is there not a space for wheelchairs though somewhere?

Definitely stay on here as newbies rely on people like you to help them with their own first plans!

Joa
Old 17 Dec 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
When do the parties run? I have never been that time of year but I would like or see Christmas decorations at some point.
From early Nov (about 2 days in basically). We were there 4 Nov this year and the decs were up.
Old 17 Dec 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Sounds like a good time was had albeit a few common themes appearing such as the parties and crowds etc.

I know exactly what you mean about the WL lobby. Stunning and even better than the GF in my view.
Completely agree Tom - the lobby is absolutely stunning. It’s breathtaking and that lobby alone made us forget the transport issues etc when we got into the hotel. I think that’s why they do it

We like the GF and it is somewhere we would like to stay for a couple of nights one day, but really WL’s lobby gives it a run for its money!

We did have a (very small) look around SSR while we were there this time as we got the boat from there to Springs for lunch one afternoon. Massive resort! Not really one I have considered before but it looks really nice actually - reminded me of you
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds like a good trip. We stayed at the BC a couple of years ago always a dream of mine and loved it.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Absolutely agree about the parties. We are lucky enough to be able to go to the Top of the World Lounge to watch the fireworks, but can't see the projections on the castle so they would be nice to see.

So sorry to hear that someone caused you to fall, that can't have been nice. They do like to crush people in - is there not a space for wheelchairs though somewhere?

Definitely stay on here as newbies rely on people like you to help them with their own first plans!

Joa
I know when they had the electrical light parade there was places for wheelchairs and then you were safely out of (mostly!) harms way for the fireworks and celebrate the magic.

However it seemed that because both of these had gone, so had the reserved areas. I might be wrong, we may have missed them. But we walked past several cast members who didn’t say anything and one cast member pushed her way into the crowd, asked everyone to stand up and move forward so they could get more people in. I was quite shocked at that. It was a little scary to be honest. Sadly in this day and age too much can go wrong very quickly.

Definitely going to stick around - plenty of trips to plan and I need to keep up with all the gossip. And pick your brains about more cruises! Despite the seasickness last time I am itching to get back on board!