Notices

Old 14 May 16, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
pammiep
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
West Coast Celebration

I vowed to do a trip report when we did our last West Coast road trip and never did it for various reasons. I'm braver this year so have decided to write the details of our trip in the hope that it might help others planning the same sort of trip in the future.

So a few introductions. My Hubby (57), Son (23) and his girlfriend (21) and I (50) are doing a road trip to celebrate my turning 50 this year and more importantly to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We aren't party people so the thought of celebrating in that way was a definite no no. When I mentioned the idea of another road trip both Hubby and Son jumped at the chance.

The trip in 2013 went - San Francisco, Yosemite NP, Lone Pine, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Page, Grand Canyon, Sedona finishing up in Phoenix. It was the most spectacular, relaxing holiday ever despite the driving (over 2200 miles).

This year is a deviation of the previous trip and I'm not sure it will be as good for reasons I'll explain later.

Ok so the details:

Tuesday 31 May 2016
Fly BA Edinburgh to Heathrow (0900 - 1030) then Heathrow to San Francisco (1130 - 1435).

In the past I've avoided BA and Heathrow however the return flights were perfect times and only £500 per person.

Tues 31 May - Frid 3 June
San Francisco - The Canterbury, one bedroom suite with a sofa bed in the living room ($699 booking.com). This was the best we could do when I booked and wanted to avoided booking 2 rooms because of the how expensive San Francisco hotels are. In reality we'll only be in the hotel for sleeping so it wont be an issue.

We're going to Alcatraz on 1 June (early bird ticket) and cycling over the Golden Gate bridge in Sausalito on 2 June (Blazing Saddles). We absolutely loved doing this last time and Sausalito is a gorgeous little place.

Friday 3 June
Pick up a car from Alamo on O'Farrell Street and drive to Yosemite.

I wanted to stay at Housekeeping Camp or Curry Village but the youngsters weren't keen on using the shower block or getting up during the night and having to walk for a pee! I compromised and booked Cedar Lodge ($662 booked direct) just outside the entrance and again booked a one bedroom suite. We loved the drive into Yosemite last time from here and getting breakfast at the little garage on the way.

We've nothing planned for the rest of 3 June or 4 June as yet but we might hire bikes and cycle around the valley floor. June 5 is my son's birthday and he wanted to go to Sentinel Dome again. One piece of advice to anyone who hasn't been is just go. Yosemite is the most beautiful, serene place and Sentinel Dome is the epitome of that. Glacier Point is busy and full of bus tours. This year we are getting the bus from the valley floor early in the morning and then hiking from Glacier Point to Sentinel Dome for a picnic. We then have to choose which trail to use to hike back down to the valley floor.

Unfortunately we leave Yosemite on 6 June so don't have nearly enough time there and drive to Sequoia NP. I booked two rooms at Buckeye Tree Lodge ($551 booked direct) which looks amazing. I think we are going to drive from Yosemite through King's Canyon to Three Rivers.

7 June is our anniversary so I want to do something special but haven't worked out what yet. I was going to make reservations at The Peaks restaurant in Wuksachi Lodge but I wanted to organise something I knew my hubby would enjoy so we're going to Wolverton BBQ instead for dinner.

I've still to book tickets for Crystal Cave for the 8th June.

This is where I've made a mess of the itinerary. I got my dates all confused which has resulted in us having to stay in Las Vegas for one night 9-10 June. I booked 2 rooms at Jockey Club Suites mainly because it has laundry facilites (£77 per night each booking.com). None of the the 3 of us liked Las Vegas last time (stayed at Caesar's Palace). It was like Blackpool with sun when we were there 3 years ago (sorry Blackpool) and this opinion wasn't well received on this site. This was one of the reasons I didn't do a trip report.

We leave early on 9 June to go to Zion NP staying at Bumbleberry Inn (£358 expedia). Its a lovely little hotel in a great setting. We are planning on doing the Narrows one day and hiking to Angel's Landing another.

Again this is another muck up off the itinerary when we leave here as we have a 5 hour drive to Peach Springs for what should be the absolute highlight of our trip. We are staying at Havasupai Lodge (2 rooms $113 each per night booked direct) on 13-15 June. As a surprise I have booked a white water rafting trip in the Grand Canyon for 14 June. We get picked up at 7 am and have an hour's bus journey to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. We then have a mixture of white water rafting, hiking to a Travertine waterfall, easy rafting and lunch. After about 34 miles we reach our destination where we get a helicopter ride up to the West Rim. I really don't like helicopters after having to go on one for work and this is the most I could survive. Then it's a leisurely bus journey back to the hotel.

15 - 18 June Las Vegas staying at the Palazzo.
I got 2 suites for £100 a night each (Booking.com), a price I was happy with. We're going to Fremont Street this time and I've booked Scoot City tours to Red Rock Canyon for 16 June.

We fly Southwest from Las Vegas to Dallas on 18 June where I've booked a house through Home and Away ($820 2 bedroom house). I have no inclination to visit Texas or the big cities but my husband's great grandad and family came from Thurber and we are meeting some of his extended family when we are there. Nothing is planned for this part of the trip mainly because I dont know where to start! I had wanted to go back to Bryce Canyon and drive up Scenic Byway 12 to The Arches but this will have to wait until our next trip.

22 June fly Dallas/FortWorth 2230 arriving Heathrow 1315 hours then a flight back up the road.

I know this is long winded and a I'm a bit late in posting it but it has helped me sort out in my head what still needs to be done.
pammiep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Sounds great.
I like BA and Heathrow, been through T5 lots, nothing to worry about there.
We did 4 nights in Vegas last year, glad I have been, and only reason we will be back ever is for GC South Rim, it's closest apart from Phoneix, and Yosemite, Death Valley, but shows in Vegas and hotel rooms are great.

I have been flying in helicopters since early 80's, not now though, and I have never and don't think I will ever get in one on holiday. I don't mind them that much, just maybe relate them with work so avoid on holiday.

Glad to read you are doing a trip report, I think they help others a lot. Have a great trip.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Hope you are having a great time. Would be pleased to hear all about it as we are doing a road trip next year. Have booked the Jockey Club so would be interested in what you thought of them. Have fun
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List