Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 20 Sep 18, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

itinerary Boston NY Orlando what do you think?

Here is where we are thus far with those already firmed up having an asterisk in front. We are a Family of 2 plus boys of 16 and 13 at time of travel.

* Day 1 July 18 Fly LGW to Boston, arriving at 1650. To accommodation (*) Houseboat on old waterfront and a mooch round old town if not to tired.
*Day 2 DUKW amphibian tour of Boston then plunge into water and across to USS Constitution. Stroll around during evening.
*Day 3 Freedom trail for day with enactors telling history of Boston. Need something for afternoon/evening, otherwise simply revisiting the interesting bits of Freedom trail.
*Day 4 Travel to NY on Amtrac arriving 1400 and staying close to Bryant Park. Walk past CBGBs and over Brooklyn Bridge in evening.
*Day 5 5th, Shops and central park as we didnt see enough of it last time. All on foot and possibly up the Empire state in the evening.
*Day 6 9/11 Museum for morning. Suggestions welcome for the afternoon and evening, but in the S Manhattan area.
*Day 7 Get up and fly from Laguardia to one of Columbus, Indianapolis, Dayton, Cincinatti, hopefully arriving by Lunchtime to pick up hire car. Suggestions welcome as to which city and what to see before getting to *Beaver Creek near Dayton in evening.
*Day 8 USAF Museum.
*Day 9 USAF Museum and possibly visit to downtown Dayton late afternoon/evening.
*DAY 10 Fly from one of day 7 airports other than the one we arrived at to MCO, probably late afternoon, so suggestions welcome for 4 hrs or so in any one of the 4. arrive Ramada on I drive for dinner and bed.
*Day 11 Check in to Royal Pacific and straight in to Universal/Islands
*Day 12 Check out of Royal Pacific, leave bags and hammer the rides again before picking up hire car late afternoon and moving to a *Villa in Davenport.
Day 13 Seaworld all day with possibly a break in the middle for aquatica then return to Seaworld for the evening.
Day 14 probably Casperson beach on a Shark tooth hunt, Dinner at Sharkys then the drive back to Villa.
Day 15 Volcano bay then Universal/Islands into evening plus Margaritaville for evening meal.
*Day 16 Discovery Cove (its a weekend).
Day 17 *Airboat ride in the morning and then shopping. Volcano bay in the early evening (its a weekend).
Day 18 Busch gardens
Day 19 Aquatica, shopping then Seaworld in evening.
Day 20 Possibly a trip and a stroll along Daytona Beach promenade
Day 21 lazy day, packing shopping and possibly an evening at Universal
Day 22 Drive to Fort Lauderdale and have look around before flying at 1650.

Any advice, tips and suggestions are very welcome stating on which day.. or which you might swap as appropriate are very, very welcome.

Accommodation is all booked as are longhauls. Likewise Discovery Cove.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:26 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am from Northern New England and Boston was one of my kid's big cities to visit for a day trip. New England is wonderful and I don't think you are spending enough time here. I love Boston but the surrounding areas are full of beauty and history.

What I would add is a trip to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. It is not far from the harbor and my kids as teens loved hanging out there for a few hours. Shops and food and often street performers.

faneuilhallmarketplace/

Depending on the time of year, Fenway Park also has a tour and the many universities are interesting. Harvard has the best bookstore, the Harvard Coop.

Also be prepared for weather. It can be 80 in the morning and 20 at night. Rain one minute, sunshine the next and in the winter it can be frigid and snowy. Snow makes the area extra pretty.

I think the "T" is easy to navigate and reasonably priced and you can meet too many employees at rush hour (avoid if you can)

I would also spend the extra money to go on the Acela train. It can be as little as $10-15 and is a much nicer train-new and quite clean. The train ride is pretty boring, going through mostly industrial areas.

I have no idea what old town is or the old water front so not sure what is there. If you had more time and your kids are into military stuff, Battleship Cove is worth a day (an hour south of Boston).

Come spend some more time with us on another trip. So a whale watch, drive up to the White Mountains, down to the southern coasts and west into the Pioneer Valley.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Ridersmom. That is very kind of you.
Boston for us is a first effort and if we like the general feel, then we will return. I will definitely have a look at the Faneuil Hall.

When I referred to 'old Boston' , I was referring to the historic centre. The boat that we are staying on is in a straight line from Paul Reveres house to the water. (Not sure of distance, but close).

I will put it to the family that we could cut NY and spend longer in Boston plus in that case, hire a car. I will sound them out as we could then fly from Boston into the Dayton area.

I would love to visit USS Massachusetts, but it is the same class as USS Alabama that we visited just over a year ago. Whilst the good lady is very kindly allowing me 2 days at the USAF Museum, this could be pushing it!

Once again, thankyou for your advice.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

The difference between Boston and New York is largely size. Boston population is probably a 10th of NYC. It is a very different atmosphere.

I know nothing about ships but when my boys were young they did camp outs on the Battleship Massachusetts and they were in heaven. Personally, I found it quite boring but I have no interest in boats or battles.

battleshipcove/

If you decide to fly out of Logan to an internal airport, both Jet Blue and Southwest fly out of Logan (Southwest also out of MHT an hour to the north and much smaller). Both are "discount" airlines but both are quite nice with excellent customer service.

Looking at your countdown, you will be here in summer. It can get very hot in Boston but can be much more comfortable on the coast and in the mountains. I had never lived in a house with any airconditioning at all until 2014. I have it now becuase of a medical condition. It can also be rainy, cool, or beautiful.

what does your wife enjoy? There's lots to do and see. Perhaps a trip tio Newport and the mansions?
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
The difference between Boston and New York is largely size. Boston population is probably a 10th of NYC. It is a very different atmosphere.

I know nothing about ships but when my boys were young they did camp outs on the Battleship Massachusetts and they were in heaven. Personally, I found it quite boring but I have no interest in boats or battles.

battleshipcove/

If you decide to fly out of Logan to an internal airport, both Jet Blue and Southwest fly out of Logan (Southwest also out of MHT an hour to the north and much smaller). Both are "discount" airlines but both are quite nice with excellent customer service.

Looking at your countdown, you will be here in summer. It can get very hot in Boston but can be much more comfortable on the coast and in the mountains. I had never lived in a house with any airconditioning at all until 2014. I have it now becuase of a medical condition. It can also be rainy, cool, or beautiful.

what does your wife enjoy? There's lots to do and see. Perhaps a trip tio Newport and the mansions?
Hi.
We took your advice and looked at 6 in the Massachusetts area before cutting NY and flying direct to the Dayton area. The kids were all for it.

Unfortunately our hotel booking (it had a big discount) at the Broadway Plaza was all up front, paid for and could not be cancelled without forfeiting £600. With this very much in mind, we have now booked our AMTRAC, 12.15 to 1640, 4 adult fares at$196. We took your advice on avoiding commuter type times (which were in any case a lot more expensive). The Acela Express would have saved us 35 minutes, but cost an extra $150 between us. We opted to spend that money wisely (and elsewhere). Mandie wants a carrier bag from Tiffany's and the $150 might almost cover that! I guess with a marginally slower train, we may see marginally more industrial areas! Hopefully we will be able to get on the port side and maybe see a bit of water. Seats are allocated, but not designated, so I must hope that the train isn't too full when it pulls into Boston South where we board.

Thankyou once again for your invaluable assistance. Now I will get my chance to take my wife to Katz, the Meg Ryan 'when Harry met Sally' bar in NY which is near our hotel.. You never know your luck!

Edited at 11:57 AM.
Old 22 Sep 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Just a few things. The Acela and regular train on are the same tracks and neither offers much time on/near the water. Mostly it is through industrial areas. Please don't form your opinion of the area by what you see out the windows. I prefer Acela because it is a much nicer and cleaner train. I would not use the bathroom on the regular train (I avoid plane bathrooms, too) but was surprised at how large and clean the Acela bathroom was. The trip isn't too long and I think if you go outside of commuting hours you may skip some stops.

The South Station is the end of the line. I have never had a problem getting a row of seats to myself (I travel by train alone). Everyone will be getting off in Boston. You should enter an empty or near empty train. There is also a quiet car which tends to be less populated.

Maybe next trip you will spend more time in my neck of the woods, see some moose and bear in the mountains (I had 3 bears in my yard last week and I am not in the mountains).

Enjoy Ohio. I have only seen the inside of airports in that state.

And may all your experiences be positive.