Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 12 Dec 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Some people are not bothered about Disney and prefer Universal. For us, Disney in itself, leaving aside the rides, is the holiday, but that’s staying on site. You definitely have a different Disney experience staying off site and just visiting the park.
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
First thing I'll say is that I/we haven't done it but I'd drop DC&SW, it's a lot of money & possibly something I would do "next" trip. I love Universal, Studios is my No.1 park but I couldn't see myself doing more than 3-4 Days between the 2, Disney is so busy these days that 3 of the 4 parks are 2 dayers with only HS currently being a 1 day visit. FOP is hands down one of the best rides I've done & for us eclipses anything that Universal currently has. That all being said I couldn't stomach the 1 day prices that Disney charge so it would either be a multi-day pass or not at all.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kevybaby View Post
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to this so be nice We are a family of 4, 2 daughters who will be 13 and 10 when we make our first trip to Orlando in june 2019. I have booked 2 weeks universal tickets with an overnight stay in a universal hotel for a couple of days with fast passes. I have also booked discovery cove with sea world and busch gardens and was planning an overnight stay in Clearwater when visiting Busch gardens. My huge dilemma is, is it ok to give Disney a miss? We did Euro Disney a couple of years ago and did all the character dining etc. Will I regret it though and is there a relatively cheap way of doing magic kingdom for a day? Thanks in advance
Our friends did this and loved it , next trip planned will be pure Disney . Gives them something to look forward to , a more semi relaxed holiday and best value for money for tickets. Have a great time
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My huge dilemma is, is it ok to give Disney a miss?
Yes, of course it's ok. There's no rule that says you must visit Disney when in Florida.

However, for us, the main reason why we visit is because of Disney World. We have always visited Disney when in Florida.

We did Euro Disney a couple of years ago and did all the character dining etc.
I would say that Disneyland Paris (DLP) and Walt Disney World (WDW) are quite different to one another. The two parks at Paris are somewhat similar to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios in Orlando (well, sort of) but the whole feel of WDW is very different to DLP. WDW is much bigger for starters! Plus WDW has two extra parks - Animal Kingdom and Epcot - that are very different to anything at DLP.

We much prefer WDW to DLP, which is why we've only visited the closer DLP once whereas we've visited WDW 8 times.

is there a relatively cheap way of doing magic kingdom for a day?
You can get a 1 day Magic Your Way ticket - either from Disney's US website, from UndercoverTourist, or at the entrance to the parks.

I'm not sure I'd call them "cheap" though. The price of a 1-day ticket is between $109 to $129 (+tax) depending on when you visit.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:30 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Personally, I couldn't do Orlando without doing Disney, especially the first time. Yes Universal has some great rides but both parks can easily be done over 2-3 days.

I would see if you could use the deposit paid for Universal tickets to change to 14 day Ultimate WDW (usually 14 days for the price of 7). I think you get much more value for money with these than Universal tickets as you get 4 parks plus water parks plus crazy golf.

You can always do Universal next time
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I’d stick with what you have. We tried to do Disney and Universal in a fortnight and it’s exhausting. If you’re there for 3 weeks it’s doable but it’s best to try and enjoy yourself, not try to do everything. There’s always next time. Our once in a lifetime trip to Florida is up to number 11.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We did Orlando many times without touching Disney for several years before we had kids. Back then, the Orlando Flex tickets were excellent value as they included Universal, Seaworld and Busch Gardens and we enjoyed our trips immensely - always had more than enough to keep us busy. We started doing Disney when we had kids and I caught the Disney bug but, as the children have gotten older, they seem to be preferring the Universal to the Disney parks, much to my dismay, but hey ho! My girls are 11 & 8 and are both huge Harry Potter fans so perhaps this is why.

I think it is absolutely fine to do Orlando without Disney, your kids won’t miss what they’ve never experienced so don’t beat yourself up about it. Having said that, if this going to be your one and ONLY trip to Orlando, it would be a bit of a shame not to experience at least Magic Kingdom, it is very different to DLP (not better or worse, just different).

Edited at 06:42 PM.
derenstar is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List