Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Dec 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Claireasol
Getting Excited

Cornea Transplant

Hi

Anybody have any knowledge of Cornea Transplants that can offer some help / reassurance please?
Claireasol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My husband had one in Feb 2017. He had kerotoconus and was virtually blind in one eye and failed x linking in other meant we had no real option. His experience was v positive. Some pain first 24 hours and a real pain doing drops etc but within 3 days his vision was improved and well within a month he was back driving etc. He’s had no follow up issues and at some stage in future he may need the other done. If you have any specific qs please post or pm me and I’ll get him to answer.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

The only experience I have is when my mother in law passed away her corneas were donated.
A few months later we had a letter from the lady who had received one to let us know how much her vision had improved and she was able to read and do needlework
again.
It was so nice to hear a positive result.
Old 13 Dec 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Someone in my work place had one. She'd had shingles and it affected her eye. The operation went well and she's had no issues as far as I know.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Claireasol
Getting Excited

Thank you all so much for your responses.

I have had a very nasty infection caused by contact lenses (an abrasion on my eye) which has resulted in scaring to my cornea and loss of most of my vision(left eye only!)
I'm coping ok, am back driving (not far and very slowly mind!), but potentially have the option of a transplant. I am going to Moorfields London in Feb so will see what they say.

I will definitely have lots of questions re the recovery as I have heard there are lots of things I will have to change in my life and things I won't be able to do any more... bending over, rubbing my eye, get water in my eyes if the stiches stay in long term, lay flat for a few days/weeks after surgery etc etc. I have also heard that other people didn't have to do any of these things.

Your comments are very positive and good for me to hear. Its a worry knowing what to do for the best.
Claireasol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Claireasol
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
The only experience I have is when my mother in law passed away her corneas were donated.
A few months later we had a letter from the lady who had received one to let us know how much her vision had improved and she was able to read and do needlework
again.
It was so nice to hear a positive result.
This is such an amazing thing to do. I have already decided that if I go ahead with surgery making enquiries about the donor family and making contact with them is top of the list to do when I have recovered. It's something to be extremely grateful for.
Old 8 Jan 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nickynoonoo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My mother has kerotoconus also. She is just about to have her 5th cornea transplant!

First one was done almost 10 years ago, back then she was fully put to sleep and it was a much bigger deal with her being in hospital for around a week. The medicines she had to take after actually made her more ill that the procedure! It was hard going for the following two years, not painful but she would get broken stitches which agrivate and of course you can’t get water in your eyes. But the results were brilliant and she couldn’t have been happier to be able to see again.

So the following year she got booked in to have eye number two done. Unfortunately this failed and blood vessels stated making the cornea blury. They have now replaced this three times and she is in for number four in the spring.

Good news is that it’s such an easy procedure now! They only give her local anisthetic and she is normally only in hospital for two nights (one night before and one after)

If it’s going to help you I’d say don’t even think twice about it. It sounds much more scary than it is, and it can improve your quality of life so much. Good luck x

June 05 - Villa in Kisseme
March 06 - Enclave Suites (I Drive)
April 08 - Homewood Suites (I Drive)
April 10 - Quality Inn Plaza (I Drive)
Nickynoonoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List