Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 May 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

Vegas for my 50th - Day 2 - Grand Canyon West 5 in 1 Tour

So we had an early start today, which wasn't a problem at all because we were in bed so early last night we were awake at 4am!

I had booked this tour with Expedia a few weeks before. We had originally intended to do a helicopter flight, but the day before I planned to book it, the terrible news came through about the crash involving the UK citizens from the Worthing area. My DS and DIL knew most of the people involved, and one couple were close friends, so I promised DS I would book a VIP coach tour instead.

It turned out to be the best decision ever. From start to finish it was brilliant.

We were the first couple picked up from our hotel at 7am, and it took around an hour to pick up 3 other couples from other hotels on the Strip.

It was a 12 seater tour bus, so we had plenty of room and it was very comfortable. Our driver was from Australia! but he was so knowledgable and gave us loads of facts about everything all day.

The itinerary was canyon visits to Guano Point & Eagle Point. Hoover Dam. 900-year-old Joshua tree forest and picnic lunch & a stop at a Native American village.

Once we were all picked up we were given a breakfast bag containing an O.J. and a breakfast snack which we nibbled on whilst we travelled.

First stop was the Joshua Tree forest.

Before carrying on to the Hoover Dam

This was completely fascinating, and we did a lot more than I expected. We watched a film about the dam before going down into the main control room 54 stories into the rock!

Incredible place.

We then went onto the Native American Village for a sit down hot lunch. It was bit quiet because it was not in peak season, but the meal was nice. They put on a gun display and we watched an incredible magician that worked for tips. We then travelled on to Eagle Point

Where I had a go on this

I actually felt more safe on this than I did standing here

I really didn't like that at all!

Our driver stayed with us all the time and pointed out all the rock formations and markings. Can you spot the Indian Princess kissing the forehead of her horse?

We then went onto Guano point and our driver explained why it was named that. We had a great view of the Colorado

and we had a good look around the scaffolding left by the guano collectors!

We were driven back to our hotel and were dropped off by 6:30pm. It was such a long day but so incredible.

We got a Johnny Rockets from our hotel and took it back to our room
Old 2 May 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Wow, such a busy day! Great pictures and sounds like the trip was well worth it
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing (and happy 50th btw-I know how it feels as I’ve just had the same 😳&#128514
So sad about the helicopter and all those young people’s lives cut short. I must admit I have decided not to risk it when we go this year, opting for a road trip instead (but we will have car).
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Joosebug1987
Very Serious Dibber

Hi there, thanks for writing :-) Can I ask who you booked your VIP trip with please? I hate flying so not sure I'd manage any of the plane options while there lol x
Joosebug1987 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joosebug1987 View Post
Hi there, thanks for writing :-) Can I ask who you booked your VIP trip with please? I hate flying so not sure I'd manage any of the plane options while there lol x
Me too please.

I haven't heard many good reviews about these tours, so was pleased to read yours.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

It wasn't this one

expedia/things-to-...8&pageNumber=1
Old 22 Aug 18, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sam_Smith View Post
It wasn't this one

expedia/things-to-...8&pageNumber=1
Wasn't?
Old 22 Aug 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

I meant was!

Edited at 11:59 AM.
Sam_Smith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulabelle18
slightly serious Dibber

What a fab day!
Took me a while to spot the princess but then it just seemed to jump out. How cool is that?😀
Loulabelle18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sam_Smith View Post
I meant was!
Hahaha - thank you.