Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile phone in Japan

I'm on a contract with Vodafone. Their global roaming package is £6 per day if I use data. When I went to Orlando last I think I did this but had my data roaming switched off and just used wifi. The difference being I know my way around the Davenport / Disney area and didn't need the internet. I have a feeling that will not be the case in Japan.

What do you all use?
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Hire a portable WiFi device. It will almost certainly be cheaper than using your data package. We used japanwifibuddy/ when we went in April and it was excellent (we use a fair amount of data too, and never had any issues). We picked it up from the Post Office at Narita Airport, and we dropped it back there in a prepaid envelope before we checked in to fly home. There are other companies available too - a quick search for "Japan portable WiFi" should find them and you can compare what is available for your needs.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
Hire a portable WiFi device. It will almost certainly be cheaper than using your data package. We used japanwifibuddy/ when we went in April and it was excellent (we use a fair amount of data too, and never had any issues). We picked it up from the Post Office at Narita Airport, and we dropped it back there in a prepaid envelope before we checked in to fly home. There are other companies available too - a quick search for "Japan portable WiFi" should find them and you can compare what is available for your needs.
Thanks! I’ll check that out.👍🏻
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

You will also find plenty of free wifi - hotels, starbucks, mcdonalds, airport, JR Trains etc.

I am lucky in that my work mobile is unlimited data and I just tether my personal phone and use that - but wifi is plentiful in Japan if you don't need to have access all the time. Getting around on the trains is easy and you can download a map of tokyo lines/stations.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
You will also find plenty of free wifi - hotels, starbucks, mcdonalds, airport, JR Trains etc.

I am lucky in that my work mobile is unlimited data and I just tether my personal phone and use that - but wifi is plentiful in Japan if you don't need to have access all the time. Getting around on the trains is easy and you can download a map of tokyo lines/stations.
May I ask which network your work phone is with?

Have got quite used to using my Three SIM abroad at no extra cost, and was a bit disappointed they do not cover Japan yet, so to find one that does possibly ...
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Another option

If you want to use your phone just for the data instead of text or calling (although you can call via Skype, WhatsApp and Messenger) my friend introduced me to these guys mobal/japan-tourist/ they are less expensive than hiring a portable Wifi and you don't have to worry about collecting or returning it to the airport.

I've bought the 3gb package, as I am purely using mine as a GPS (very helpful trying to work your way around Japan), arrived 10 days after I bought it and all I have to do is activate it before I head to Japan

Edited at 08:36 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

The last time I went to Japan (2015) we got a portable WiFi so that we could connect multiple devices to it and all use it at the same time.

But data roaming prices have come down a fair bit since and I would now be tempted to just use my provider's data roaming provided the price is reasonable (note I'm not in the UK though).

And yes you definitely need some form of WiFi in Japan I think - I had difficulty enough navigating the train system in Tokyo and it was only because Google Maps told me which train to take that I didn't get lost!