Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 17 Nov 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kay159
Earning More Ears

Mobile Kennedy Space Centre on Launch Day. Yes or No?

Will be in Orlando for the next launch date in December and had already planned to go to KSC but what chance is there of even getting there, parked or entrance on launch day let alone getting to do the coach tour.
My last experience of trying to get to watch a launch was the shuttle many years ago when we had to abandon the car at the side of the road with 2 minutes to go and watch from the edge of a swamp. Really dont want to lose a day in the parks having to go back and know launches can be cancelled at the last minute anyway. Love to hear from someone who made it to KSC on launch day. Thanks
kay159 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Wew have done this and been lucky a couple of times but it does mean a very early start to drive over and even then parking was a bit of a chore and the area was exceedingly packed. We did not manage to do a coach trip but still thought it amazing to see a launchh.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bolwin1
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

We took a different approach - decided to make the day a relaxing beach day, headed off to Playalinda beach & chilled out there for a few hours before the launch. Was pretty quiet when we first got there & not too busy by launch time either. Got a great view too.
bolwin1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

The level of interest in a launch depends on what is being launched. The 2 launches scheduled for December are both Falcon 9. There is more interest in a Falcon Heavy (effectively 3 Falcon 9's bolted together, so much bigger) or a Delta Heavy (also bigger), but all these are smaller than the Shuttle was and are all unmanned. The level of interest in a Falcon 9 is a factor of 10 less than the Shuttle.
I've been at KSC on a Falcon 9 launch day twice (one happened, the other postponed at the last minute) - only slightly busier than a non-launch day. The difference is that the 'extra cost' launch viewing area is next to the Saturn V Center, so the free bus tours to that get suspended during the launch period. The impact of that depends on the time of day. You can watch from the main visitor center next to the Atlantis building, but the launch pad itself is obscured by the tree line.
I've also been to Playalinda (another postponed at the last minute). It is a National Park, so an entrance fee. No problem if you are early, but they close the parking lots when full and you can't park on the road.
I've also been at the Max Brewer Bridge in Titusville for 2 Falcon 9 launches (one happened, one postponed at the last minute). Again no problem, lots of room, and it's free. It has a clear line of sight to Launch Pad 39A, but is further away. The December launches are from Launch Pad 40 so Port Canaveral might be nearer, particularly if you want to see the landing close up too.
Launches is what KSC does - it is why it exists - so not seeing one when you can is a missed opportunity. I'll be there myself over Xmas and the New Year, so will be going to one or both December launches myself. Not decided on my viewing location yet.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We were there for the Falcon one that blew up 2 minutes into the launch, think it was 2015... watched it go all the way, then a small puff of smoke in the sky and the helicopters immediately dispatched
To see a launch was impressive, would love to do it again
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Gosh, so much knowledge, thank you!
I've just seen there's a launch of a Delta IV rocket on March 13th when we're there, any idea if this would be something popular?
Old 22 Jan 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Definitely go. Once (for many) in a life time experience!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty71
Apprentice Imagineer

I went to a shuttle launch years ago after being lucky enough to get tickets. Only the visitor centre was open and no tours. It was a very early start with a LOT of waiting around but my goodness it was worth EVERY second of waiting. Def a once in a lifetime experience and I would not hesitate to go to any other launch. Incredible!
pretty71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
On my solo trip last year, I hired a Mustang and drove out to Cocoa Beach and sat at the tiki bar at the end of the pier and watched the launch from there with a beer (just the one that I nursed before hitting the Diet Coke) and it was a great experience. I'd do the same again.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List