Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Nov 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

We're going on a bear hunt - RV trip with kids-Vancouver to the Rockies - Day 7 Nanaimo to Whistler

We had pre-booked an early ferry out of Nanaimo as, having finally settled on spending a night in Whistler, we wanted to make the most of the limited time we would spend there.

We were at the ferry port for about 8.00 for an 8.45 crossing and we got talking to a nice local who was curious about the price of RV hire, I explained to him that we had bought a package including flights so I didn't know how much the RV hire was and we got talking then about the wildfires, he said that this is increasingly becoming a problem in the summer months in British Columbia and he felt sorry for tourists as they weren't getting the views they had anticipated and that he was concerned it might impact greatly on tourism if they continue as they have been the last couple of years.

We then had a look around the ferry terminal, bought a starbucks and a postcard and boarded the ferry where we had breakfast!

We were soon off the ferry and joined the Sea to Sky Highway for the relatively short drive to Whistler. This is the first time that the fires really effected us because we just didn't get any spectacular views , I had thought to stop on the journey , but the general haziness meant that there were extremely limited views (almost like looking at a TV with interference!). However this kind of thing happens and we just feel lucky that our homes and livelihoods aren't impacted by the fires and felt sorry for those who aren't so fortunate.

When looking at booking an RV site for Whistler we realised that the main RV site is actually 18 km from Whistler village so we managed to find a (more expensive) site, called Riverside which is walking distance to the village which suited our needs better. We only slept in the RV on this occasion but the site looked well kept, again we were told to be on the alert for bears.

This turned out to be the warmest day of the holiday, a sticky 30% , we ate a quick sandwich in the Van before setting off on the 30 minute riverside walk to the village!

All the walking on a hot day made for thirsty work so we took advantage of the fact that Whistler is a hive of retail and hospitality opportunities and had a pit stop at the High Mountain Brewing Company!

Simon and I tried a Grizzy Bear beer and the kids had a coke!

From the pub we had a wander around the village for some retail therapy. It is completely pedestrianised and has a really nice atmosphere, we bought some jumpers and had some ice creams!

Phoebe found a new friend!

Look! Some hazy mountains in the distance!

We then had a wander up to the gondola and the kids loved the look of the mountain biking, they were very keen to go up but by this time it was 4pm and we felt the price was very steep given the lack of view and the time of day so we decided not to but promised that we would arrange it for later in the holidays when we were in the Rockies.

We had a wander around a few more shops and decided that the following day we could have a lie in so had a couple more beers and a lovely meal back at the Brewhouse, I don't have notes of that but I did take a picture of my lovely Salmon dinner!

After dinner we headed to Northface in search of a pair of flip flops for Phoebe, as she refused to wear her Crocs again after yesterdays incident. We were successful and were served by a young man who had moved to Whistler from Glasgow! He was encouraging us to come back another time so we can fully appreciate the view without the smoke! Hopefully one day!

We then decided to get a taxi back as we were all quite tired. I'd earlier told the children that once I'd been taken skiing by Eddie the Eagle (only at the snowdome in Tamworth! ) after I'd met him at a trainee solicitor ball where he was a speaker! They thought this was so funny and were teasing me all the way home in the taxi. The taxi driver had never heard of our ski jumping sensation! (he's a really nice guy by the way!)

We'd all had a lovely day. Whistler was Phoebe's favourite place of the whole holiday and we'd all really enjoyed the change of scene. I'd love to go in the winter one day, we'll see!

Edited at 01:40 PM.
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Brings back a lot of memories of our week in Whistler! I would love to go in winter too!

It is a shame some of the views were spoilt by the fires - they really are a worrying phenomenon.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Brings back a lot of memories of our week in Whistler! I would love to go in winter too!

It is a shame some of the views were spoilt by the fires - they really are a worrying phenomenon.
they really are, particularly given the news from California this week, and it's not even summer there now
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
We sat watching those mountain bikers too! There were loads of them. Hope you managed to arrange something similar later in the holidays.

It’s strange to hear you mention the Snowdome in Tamworth. I’ve been there a few times as it’s not far from us. I haven’t been skiing though, only tobogganing, and have certainly never bumped into Eddie the Eagle there.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
GKnH
Excited about Disney

Whistler is one of my favourite places. We've been lucky enough to visit in summer and winter. We went for 10 days skiing last New Year and had an amazing time. No Eddie the Eagle but we did see Pasha from Strictly!

Loving your trip report - it's bringing back some great memories
GKnH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Dave+Hel
slightly serious Dibber

Dave+Hel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

We stayed in the main RV site that you mentioned. Can't recall the name of it at the moment. We were told that they had a transfer bus so were happy with the location but when we got there we were told that their website was out of date and they didn't have it that year! We weren't pleased. We should have stayed where you did as we had to drive into town. We also loved it and it would be great to return in the winter for skiing
Dave+Hel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
whistler looks lovely
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List