Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Nov 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
fifi500
Getting Excited

Two week trip to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney -day 4

Day 4 – Ikebukuro and Tokyo Disneyland, Saturday 1st September

As Tokyo Disneyland had been so busy as we arrived yesterday, and we had been too tired to stay late, we had a different plan of action today. At this point in my trip we knew today's plans and the following 4 days (all not Disney) but after that it was all in the control of the University who had given DD no information beyond moving into her accommodation on Monday 3rd and turn up for an exam and orientation day on Thursday 6th. After that it was just a guess. I did not know if I was brave enough to travel to out to Disney on my own, so I had to treat today as my last Disney day and try and go on some rides that were unique to Japan. We decided to have an easier morning and tick off something on DD’s wish list and then travel to Disney and stay until the very end of the night. (Spoiler- I do end up with 3 more Tokyo Disney days).

DD is a fan of all things Kawaii and has been a Powerpuff girls’ fan from the age of 3 when she was introduced to the merchandise in the malls of Singapore. The shows and merchandise have generally made a comeback in the past couple of years and she had read online prior to visiting that a tapioca drinks outlet opposite the station in Ikebukuro was running a special themed drink but only until September 3rd.

So, we left the hotel about 10am to make our way to the “Pearl Lady”, but we did get distracted on the way by many shops. Shops in Tokyo like London seem to open late, most at 10am but some as late as 11am so we did find this a little frustrating.
By midday we arrived, and the rather special drink had been ordered.

It was delicious, blue raspberry and ice-cream.
We then visited Uniqlo and DD purchased a t-shirt.

Back in our room we had lunch and readied ourselves for the trip to Disney and set off for the station. Being a Saturday and later in the day made a difference and the train was less crowded, we even got seats which are always welcome on a half an hour journey.

We arrived about 3 pm, but this is the time that guests can buy a weekend Starlight ticket to the parks and the crowd going towards Tokyo Disneyland was huge. So, we spent half an hour in the Bon Voyage shop having a wander around but made no purchases, before making our way to the park.

That day seemed to be the very start of the Halloween season in the park and the odd decoration had started to appear, although the official start was still 10 days away. Most excitingly, Haunted Mansion reopened today after undergoing its Night before Christmas Halloween overlay. I never dreamed I would get on this because Halloween celebrations in Tokyo Disney begin on September 11th the day I am due to arrive back in the UK. I was super excited that it opened today and that fastpasses were still available. DD hotfooted it over to the fastpass machines whilst I had a lovely sit and people watch on a bench just behind the castle, it was another very hot day and I just needed to take 5 and let her young legs do the work.

As my mission today was to do things unique to Japan, next up was a visit inside the castle to go in the walk-through attraction of Cinderella’s Fairy Tale Hall before it closed at 5pm. We joined a queue that said a wait time of 40 minutes, and joined it knowing it may be my only chance, but we were probably inside within 20. After the initial queue you are taken up in a lift in small groups and into a room with several picture depicting the Cinderella story. Whilst in this room DD and I got slightly split up as she was wandering around taking photos and I was just generally taking everything in. It was at this point that I was approached by a cast member who seemed to me to be telling me to take photographs so I dutifully took out my camera and started shooting as I felt that not taking photos was the wrong thing to do, DD then rejoined us and translated that the Cast member was worried that I did not know that I was allowed to take photos, so issue sorted and I could continue just enjoying.

It was a lovely place to wander, with highlights including 2 magical pictures that you photograph with and without your flash to get the affect and a chance to try on the glass slipper. Although the queue for this was huge and I am not sure trainer socks would have quite been the right look with a glass slipper.

Next was time for it’s a Small World, which has Disney character dolls as well as the standard dolls. We could now say we had ridden this ride on 3 continents.
We then checked wait times but both Splash Mountain and Pooh’s Hunny hunt had waits of 60 minutes plus, so we decided that next we would visit Westernland and Adventureland having missed them both yesterday. We had a wander through and enjoyed the theming. It was getting dark now and they were poorly lit so by the end it was tricky to see much of the detail.

Whilst in Adventureland just before it got dark it looked more than just dark but grey and windy but we did not think too much about it, but at one point we popped in a shop for a few minutes and emerged to rain, Florida style, we put our raincoats on but really with bare legs and mesh trainers we just had to wait it out under the shop porch. As we were waiting, we were approached by a couple of lovely Japanese girls who gave us lottery tickets to One Man’s Dream. Unfortunately, we realised after they had gone that as they were for the 7pm show and it was now 6.40pm. We were the wrong side of the park and it was throwing it down and we wanted to watch the Electric Parade called Dreamlights at 7.35 pm so they just not going to work for us.
So, we decided to make our way up toward Haunted Mansion as soon as the rain eased, our plan being to watch the parade from here and then use our HM fastpasses. When we arrived at our chosen spot, no one was waiting, AND HM was a 13-minute wait which we know from WDW means a walk-on, so it would have been rude not to have a go. This ride was fantastic, and although we recognised the layout from our many trips around Haunted Mansion in Florida, the Nightmare before Christmas overlay made it such a different ride, we were thrilled to be getting a second chance to ride it.

When we exited Haunted Mansion there were still a relatively small amount of people waiting for the parade, so we managed to get front row spaces, although as the ground was so wet everyone was standing tonight.
When the Electrical parade started it took me completely by surprise that it plays the same music as the sadly missed WDW version. It was magical, and we really enjoyed it.

It was then time to go straight back on Haunted Mansion and I am so glad that I have seen this holiday version.

It was by now heading towards 8.30pm and we were a little hungry (we had fries at some point in the evening but have no record of when or where) so we stopped off at Captain Hooks Galley, a mainly pizza serving counter service with outdoor seating. Here we had something from our must try snack list, Baked cheese potatoes – basically cheesy croquette potatoes. These were warm and delicious and much appreciated as with the rain and cool breeze we were both pretty chilly at this point, but this was probably the only time we felt cold in my 2 week trip the rest of the time it was over 30. They were ¥330 per pot of about 8.

Now, it’s worth mentioning that from our observations, it’s common and quite acceptable to sit at a restaurant table and read a book, use a laptop or sleep, regardless of people with food looking for somewhere to sit. DD has seen this throughout her stay in Tokyo. It quite necessary to eat outside normal meal times to ensure you’ll get seated, not really a problem if you’re battling jet lag.

We also reviewed wait times and our plan was starting to pay off, as the wait times were stating to reduce and in our last hour and a half we managed to go on the fantastic Pooh’s Hunny hunt twice, Roger Rabbits cartoon spin - a surprising hit with us, Gadget’s Go coaster (same track as Barnstormer) and we got in the queue at 9.50pm for Monsters Inc Ride and Go seek. Great ride, really good fun but very small carriage. DH wouldn’t fit at all, at least not with his legs.

When we came out of Monsters Inc at past 10pm the park was most definitely closed, we did not even exit through the ride store. We were directed straight to World Bazaar and the only shop still open was the Emporium.

The station and trains were busy tonight but not as busy as the evening before. Walking back to the hotel from our train station was probably a little busier and still with families and dog walkers. Even though we did not arrive back at the hotel until midnight we felt completely safe.
Time for showers, contacting DH and falling in to bed.

Coming up Day 5 - Harajuku
Old 20 Nov 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

How did you find the cost of things (out with Disney) in general? Are most things more expensive?

We are (at the moment) only planning a day at DisneySea but may change our minds as we do have 3 days unplanned as yet. Those cheesy potato balls look good!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 18, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
fifi500
Getting Excited

Some of the food is quite good value. Much of the clothing is similar to Florida, but there isn't the choice that you get there or in Paris. A lot of the soft toys and their accessories are quite expensive.
The website has quite a lot of info including prices;

tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/index.html

Disney Sea is quite stunning, particularly on a sunny day. DD regards it as the scenic park and Disneyland is the action park. She said it kind of has some of the world showcase elements of Epcot.

Old 21 Nov 18, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks for doing this, so enjoying these - am so looking forward to my trip in May...
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dipsydoodle
Excited about Disney

really enjoying your trip report

dipsydoodle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you for the trip report! I'm flying to Japan on the 5th Sept next year and I thought I would miss the Halloween decs but excited to see I might get TNBC overlay!

Also you went on a Saturday, I may have to use a weekend day to visit which I know is not ideal but were the crowds as bad as I've heard? I know you said the wait times were long but you seemed to pack a lot in even though you only did a half day.
Old 25 Nov 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fifi500
Getting Excited

Thank you, yes it was a fantastic surprise to see the HM overlay, to be honest with all the focus being on DD moving to Tokyo I had not done a great deal of research about the Disney parks so it was all new and exciting.

In August /September we did not notice a great deal of difference between Thursday /Friday/Saturday but definitely got on the most rides after 8pm., We also visit the next weekend with the same plan and enjoyed the rides again. DD now visits regularly on a Monday between about 10am and 3pm , some weeks all the fastpasses have gone and queues are huge, some weeks she can get 3 or 4 fastpasses and short queues. She has yet to establish any pattern or reasoning for this.
Old 19 Dec 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Thank you for posting these and with so much detail. I have really enjoyed reading along so far! My other half and I are planning a Japan/Tokyo trip for 2020 and I’m so overwhelmed with it all so far! But these tips are really helping.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List