Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Nov 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Hire car or Uber and when to book hire car

Hi we are staying onsite for 11 nights then at Windsor Hills for a week next summer. We are thinking about hiring a car for the last week. The other option is Uber but hoping to visit seaward, aquatica and bush gardens that week so thinking we may be better with a car? What do people recommend? I've read that it is cheaper to book car hire earlier? How late can we leave booking to get it cheaper? Thanks.
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We have always hired a car and obviously because of our villa we need to be able to get things we buy for the villa back, but when the parks are charging $25 to park I think if I was on holiday I would seriously look at Uber etc, we have just had guests who used Uber for their holiday and thought they were very good
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Mobile

We just got back and cancelled our hire car, best decision ever, used Disney on site transport and uber our and about, so convenient and cheaper!
LRMD is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 02:13 AM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
We used Uber & Lyft this year nearly every day & they were fantastic, never waited longer than 5 minutes for one, highly recommend both

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We had a hire car for our villa week (we did other stuff before and after where a car was needed) but in all honesty I'm now not convinced we need it after using a mix of carhire and Lyft (car was big enough for all but we had days we did different things plus the car broke down at one point too)
Car parking at a park is roughly equal to a return Lyft journey (basing on Formosa area , staying out further obviously more) so even if going out again before or after to eat or shop you are unlikely to spend more on Uber/Lyft than car hire and gas. Apart from a run to MCO at 4.30am when we waited ten minutes, the longest wait we had was five minutes. Usually a shorter walk to the pick up point leaving parks than to an often fairly distant parking spot too.
Lyft and Uber were already a game changer in Orlando but Disney increasing parking charges yet again, plus resort parking coming in and messing with the on site/off site costing s further definitely makes them a viable proposition for many more people than beforeespecially if car seats aren't a consideration.

I wouldn't worry about booking waiting to book a car for your last week til late , you can book early with free cancellation so secure a good price and decide later .

Edited at 08:51 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Great Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry I've just noticed them
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
I personally wouldnt go without a car offsite.

Mainly because we like to go out and eat, we like to go to the shops when we want, we like to just do things like go to a magic game and believe me all that adds up quickly when you're using ubers and lyfts.

Get a car hire quote from the various companies now. Work out what you will be doing each day outside the parks and then get uber and lyft estimates. Gas is dirt cheap at the moment by the way. Than compare.

Some people like a drink on their holidays so take that into account, i dont, so im happiest driving.

Its easy for people to give you advice on what they do, but its all about what you do, what holiday you have and then is it worth it to you.

You can always get a car hire booking if you want a car and keep an eye on it like Mr Tom does and then when it goes down get it sorted and rebook saving money.