Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Dec 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile Broken leg

So about 5-6 weeks ago now I broke my leg. Badly. To be precise I completely snapped my tibia and fibula and needed surgery.

Reading up on average recovery times before I’m ‘fully recovered’ it can take six months. With that in mind that should take my recovery to April/May time.

My two week trip is in mid-September. Now I’m not naive enough to think that I’ll be fully recovered in April/May time and I don’t have to give it a second thought. I will use the months before September to hit the gym and really build up leg strength.

My question is, family and friends have posed concerns as to whether I should be doing this trip at all. I think they’re overreacting and, like anything, I just need to know my limits and I know I can take breaks where possible. If anything I’d assume my leg will probably be in a stronger position considering the metal now running through it.

Has anyone got any experience of coping with recovering from a serious injury in the run up to this type of ‘endurance’ holiday, and if it’s gotten in the way of their own trip?

I’ll speak to my own physio when I first meet him in January of course.

We’ve had to cancel this specific trip before and I’m digging my heels in to not have to cancel it again. I’m 23 and otherwise fit and healthy, and very experienced with Disney trips and I know how exhausting they can be.
Old 7 Dec 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Everybody different and there body takes different times to recover if you think you were enough to fly and do all the walking then go for it only you ca. Decided
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Life is too short to over think things, your holiday is ages away.

If you can't manage too much walking by then (I mean park marathons not a stroll) just take it easy and rest. I am sure everyone in your family will be happy to say told you so but at least you will try it. Don't cancel it, even if you can't do it all you will have a great holiday anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post

BTW I went to Florida this summer having completed chemo for breast cancer in the autumn before. Yes I was tired and we didn't do many park days as only 1 week in Orlando but I knew my limits. Not the same a badly broken leg but I managed ok.
Old 7 Dec 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I was very ill and evaluated for a heart transplant, unexpectedly recovered and after a 3 month hospitalization and 15 months out of work, I decided on a week at WDW with family (late April into May).

I had a great time and did everything I wanted. Worse part was stairs could still be a challenge to me but fortunately DDin law was good at finding the occasional elevator.

I am glad I went and it boosted my confidence in my recovery.

I would go, just accepting it may be a slightly different trip.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post

as a rule of thumb it takes up to about 18 months for a lower limb fracture to complete what is called "bone remodelling" & regain "normal" strength (tib/fib fractures closer to the ankle can be more complicated than higher up in the shin)but if you have had a straightforward injury & recovery /rehab process you should be back to normal function by your trip... you are only 23 so are in prime position for good healing! just do your exercises, follow your physios advice & pace yourself(& hopefully u are not a smoker which can delay healing/recovery) .at least its an exciting goal to aim for!
Old 7 Dec 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I am 55 and have a very painful condition in both my legs/feet which could land me in hospital any time. In 2011 I was admitted as an emergency and was told I was lucky to be alive. I take strong painkillers and anti-inflammatories and have to carry equally strong antibiotics with me everywhere in case of need. Eventually I could end up in a wheelchair. In September this year I spent 2 weeks in Orlando - stayed at POFQ, most of my time was spent at Disney, plus I spent 2 days at Universal/IOA and 1 day at Discovery Cove. I'm also going again next September, this time 10 nights at Beach Club and doing just Disney. I know my limitations and paced myself accordingly, including cancelling some of my plans for some quiet time. It was one of the best holidays I've ever had.

Edited at 09:08 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tka
slightly serious Dibber

tka's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I had a very bad break in my collar bone when I was 12, one year before going to florida with my family. I remember it being quite sore towards the end of the day but nothing that stopped me from enjoying myself.

If you stick with the exercises given to you, you should be fine, you may need to take a few more rest stops than planned but listen to your body and you will be fine.

Hope all goes well with the recovery
Old 11 Dec 18, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You can rent a Electric Buggy/Chair offsite for the 2 weeks (you can hire them in the parks but cost wise it's much cheaper to hire for the duration).

Even if you use the buggy just to get you to/from the car parks to a central part of the parks you then have the option to use it or park it up for the day until you need it.

Either that or get a willing partner to push you round the park in a wheelchair, again park it up when you don't need it.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

We went at the end October and I had just come out of my aircast having snapped my Achilles 3 months earlier. I had similar concerns but we coped ok but did have to do things slightly differently. I took a collapsible walking stick and took things very steady around the parks and I didn’t go on some of the rides in Volcano bay. One thing I will say is don’t be afraid to ask for help I was struggling in the immigration hall as my leg had seized up so the family went off in front to join the long que when a really nice America immigration lady got hold of me and took me through the special assistance lane and then found my family from the que and brought them through (5 mins through immigration- we were in a state of shock). Take it steady and you will be fine - my full recovery period is circa 18 months and I was only 3/4 months into it when we went (snapped my other one 2 years previously and I was ramping up my training when my left one went - I’m taking up dominos now instead of obstacle course racing . )
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List