Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Dec 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lesleykrystal
New Poster (5)

Dash Cams

Hi,

Does anyone know whether you can use a dash cam in a rental car in Florida. Looking to take one with us in October but cant seem to find out if they are legal to use.

Edited at 05:06 PM.
lesleykrystal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Yes legal.
But personally see absolutely no point in taking as if you hired and covered yourself correctly insurance wise,a dashcam is just something else to carry about or risk getting pinched from car.
It's a hire car that you don't care about and have no other financial interest in other than the hire cost.
I get why people use here but for a hire car waste of time.
As always each to own.
Old 13 Dec 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

We're taking one so it records some of the journeys (we're doing a couple of road trips as part of it) and can pick out some bits from them for our records. But yes good point about being covered anyway.
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
We're taking one so it records some of the journeys (we're doing a couple of road trips as part of it) and can pick out some bits from them for our records. But yes good point about being covered anyway.
Why not use an action cam such as a go pro, so you can use it on rides too.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Because I own a good dash cam and not a go pro. Plus despite all the insurance, there's still value in a dashcam in proving all kinds of legal liability.
Old 14 Dec 18, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Use it. No problems at all.
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
Because I own a good dash cam and not a go pro. Plus despite all the insurance, there's still value in a dashcam in proving all kinds of legal liability.
I'll agree to disagree on this point ,as I have no financial interest in hire car the only possible legal side would be to attempt to avoid a traffic ticket of some sort and of course the flip side of the dash cam is it can also prove my guilt.

As always each to own and full understand why people use them in own vehicles but no comfort blanket for me in a hire vehicle.
Old 17 Dec 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Just to play devils advocate.

You may have no financial interest in the car, however you may want to pursue a personal injury claim should you or someone else in the vehicle be involved in an RTC, that was not your fault.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Just to play devils advocate.

You may have no financial interest in the car, however you may want to pursue a personal injury claim should you or someone else in the vehicle be involved in an RTC, that was not your fault.
Two things to consider.
Travel Insurance should cover.
Florida is a No Blame Insurance state. So regardless of who is to blame your own insurance pays your costs.
If you do decide to use a dash cam in Florida, ensure audio recording is switched off, as you are not allowed to record anyone’s voice without their express permission. So every time you take anyone in the car you have to ask then for permission to record them.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

PPM sums up correctly ,remember litigation is used to recover costs loss that you cannot recover eg.insurances.
And you don't get a second bite if you have already recovered costs from insurance.
The insurance company may wish to attempt to recover their liabilities that is their issue not mine.
If insurance companies were really that bothered they would mandate dashcam in cars to take out a policy, as they do for example young drivers having a black box fitted to provide cover.