Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Dec 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just back from New York highs and lows

Hi all
Quick highs and lows for our recent trip!

Got a great price for hotel and flights with BA- <£1500 for 5 nights for two

I booked and then realised that it was Thanksgiving week (thought it was last Thursday in Nov- apparently it the fourth Thursday!) so had to do some rearranging of our plans!

It was a good time to go most places had Christmas trees up and lights and markets were open in Bryant park etc but it was horrendously busy the Sat/ Sun after thanksgiving.

Highs:
Macy’s parade- as we were there for Thanksgiving thought we should go really good parade and people very friendly whilst waiting. Definitely a must see!

Statue of Liberty cruise- did the pedestal- amazing!

Brooklyn Bridge- Walked over after dark, freezing cold but a really fun experience. Fantastic views looking at lit up Manhattan. Lots of people and police presence so felt very safe.

TOTR- Really enjoyed this, fantastic views of Central Park and then looking back at Empire State Building and downtown Manhattan. Went at 8am- lovely clear morning and no queues! We booked the day before we left so we had a good idea what the weather would be like.

Taxi’s:
We got a Taxi into NY you follow the signs and a yellow jacketed person asks where you are going and gives you a ticket and you get in taxi at front of queue. Very straightforward, the flat fee shows on the meter but if you go over tolls it adds them on. Traffic was very busy (approx. 6.30 pm) and it took well over an hour. Around $75 with tip.

Taxi’s easy to get you really do just stand on a corner and stick your arm out, prices I thought were quite cheap.

Hotel:
Booked the Omni Berkshire, we stayed in the Omni in Washington which was stunning, felt a little let down with the New York one, but then remembered that space is a premium in NY so everything smaller scale. Tiny lobby and smallish room but it was very clean and staff very friendly. Location was superb! Opposite Cartier and Tiffany’s around the corner 😊 We were a couple of minutes’ walk from Rockefeller centre

Restaurants:

Philip Marie- Had Thanksgiving dinner there, superb service and food, would definitely go again for full menu

Tavern on the Green- always wanted to go here and it didn’t disappoint! Very expensive but beautiful meal in a wonderful setting, go after dark for the atmosphere

Central park -beautiful park in the middle of NY. It is absolutely huge, we only did about the bottom two-thirds. Saw lots of beautiful views, birds and a great place overall

So-so’s

Ellis Island was interesting to visit but found it a bit disorganised.

AMNH- I was really looking forward to this but again found it a bit disorganised and slightly creepy with all the stuffed animals! Some parts were really fun though.

Empire State Building- Disappointed after having done this previously. They have changed where you enter and it’s a bit like going on a ride in Disney. They have even made a show of the elevator ride. Views from top are good and you get to look down on the streets to see the tiny taxis (looking straight down on TOTR is not as easy). You do get to see the old entryway when you exit but for such an iconic building, I thought the changes were out of character.

Good flights overall- see also lows.

Good flight going out, very smooth, flight attended were friendly and helpful on both flights. I was quite surprised at how much alcohol they were giving out, when anyone asked for wine, they gave at least two bottles at a time. Quite a few merry passengers in front of us on flight out. Other than being a bit noisy it was fine though.

Lows:

Weather! We had an unprecedented cold spell, coldest Thanksgiving on record. For a couple of days, it was minus 6-90C. It was soooo cold. It was so cold we missed the end of the Macys parade, after waiting for an hour and a half and then watching parade for another hour and a half I was so cold couldn’t stop shaking and we had to leave. We did have a brief snow shower one evening which was nice and it was clear every day for photo taking (when you had thawed your hands out).

Restaurants:

Hard Rock Café- the worst one I have ever been in. We have been to quite a few over the world and expected the NY one to be wow! It failed completely. I found it lacking atmosphere and service and food indifferent

Grimaldi’s
Stopped in here for pizza before walking Brooklyn Bridge.. so, so pizza and very surly welcome. Wouldn’t bother again.

Flights

We arrived Tue about ½ late flight with BA. We were about 30 mins late taking off but made that up on the journey but then the tow truck to take us to the terminal broke down and we had to wait for another one.
Coming home very full flight, nearly an hour late taking off (Someone in first class has left the sink running and it had overflowed meaning electrics had to be checked on plane), quite turbulent and an hour late landing

Immigration!
Took nearly two hours to get through, all the cases were off the belt when we finally got through and a couple of minutes through customs. Traffic then really busy into NY

Central Park- wanted to visit Belvedere Castle- very disappointed closed for maintenance and covered in scaffolding so couldn’t even get the iconic photo!

Central Park Zoo- Don’t Bother!

All in all we had a great time, but both DH and myself glad we went but no hurry to go back. We both thought Washington was far better!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we go on Thursday same hotel spookily enough... not sure being so close to Tiffany is a good thing

we enjoyed Grimaldi's last summer and have a meal booked at Tavern on the Green, went for a drink last year $28 for pint & glass of pinot grigio, so expecting the worst to eat there

planning for it being baltic but dosnt look to bad about 2 or 3 rather than - numbers ...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Have a great time Novocastrian. Its quite beautiful especially all decorated for Christmas. We really enjoyed the Tavern on the Green food was superb and very good service. We told the kids we were spending their inheritance- it is expensive but we had a table overlooking the courtyard with all the lights and it does have a magical feel.

I think I was put of Grimaldi's by the welcome. The guy at the door was shouting at everyone to wait outside and I thought was quite rude.

Saks is just around the corner as well, great light show on in the evenings.

Edited at 08:07 PM.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we sat out in the courtyard last time at the Tavern dont think we will this time

another great place for pizza if you ever go back to brooklyn is Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

just to follow up, loved the omni berkshire, we had a decent sized room with 2 queen beds suprisingly spacious for NYC. Great location as you stated literally 100 yards from 5th and all the action but down a quieter street. Did you use the diner opposite at all ? great for breakfast, coffee, snacks etc etc

Tavern on the Green was great in the dark with all the lights etc... very expensive and the food was a little underwhelming but enjoyed by all
Old 14 Dec 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

We was there for Thanksgiving too... Macy’s Parade was brilliant... but wasn’t it so cold. 🥶

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We had a take away pizza from Grimaldi's and it was fab.
We sat under the bridge in the sunshine 😁😁 while we are it 😍😍
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Eeyore rocks- yes it was absolutely bitter. I'm disappointed we didn't see the last 1/2 hr of the parade but I was so cold.

Novocastrian, sounds like you had a bigger room than ours but it was a nice clean hotel in a great location! Would definitely stay there again.

Katie it was far to cold for us to have a takeaway from Grimaldi's but this may have been a better experience!
Old 15 Dec 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Eeyore rocks- yes it was absolutely bitter. I'm disappointed we didn't see the last 1/2 hr of the parade but I was so cold.

Novocastrian, sounds like you had a bigger room than ours but it was a nice clean hotel in a great location! Would definitely stay there again.

Katie it was far to cold for us to have a takeaway from Grimaldi's but this may have been a better experience!
Ha - yes we were there in September so it was shorts and t-shirts for us!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List