Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Dec 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Any band 6 / 7 nurses?

Hi,

I am currently a band 5 nurse (mental health - working at an eating disorders inpatient unit for young people aged 12-18).

I am hoping to apply for a band 6 post in the same unit, and wondered if there were any band 6's or 7's that could lend me a few tips or pointers for completing the supporting statement in the written application / the interview please? I would be so grateful.

Thank you
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m no longer a 6/7 (8a now) but some general tips from when I recruit is to make sure your supporting statement reflects the job description of the post you’re applying for and what you can offer. I’ve just had to re-advertise a post because most of the applications were generic “I want a Band 6” statements and in the end 3 of the applicants pulled out so clearly didn’t even want the job. I would also contact the department for an informal visit as that then helps with the interview.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Just realised it’s in the same unit so probably no need for the visit!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

I’d agree with sha9, I’ve always made sure to read the personal spec and job description and make sure my statement really sells my strengths in those areas. You need to ensure that you meet all of the essential criteria that hasn’t been covered by the other sections of the application and ideally touch on the desirable aspects that you fulfill. Don’t be afraid of blowing your own trumpet- the applications are anonymous until shortlisted so you need to really prick the interest of the people shortlisting. Good luck 🙂
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I am a band 5 general nurse and my last post was a patient flow coordinator just wanted to say good luck and I am sure all will go well. I would echo above posts and also when asked questions link them into an experience you've had and mention all the buzz words that underpin nursing and the NHS.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much for your advice.

I am currently writing about my achievements - personal positive feedback from a CQC inspection; recieving a star of the month award nomination for my extensive work with a patient. I am also writing about having become a child protection link worker, the training I have completed to support this and my intentions to offer in house training to share what I have learnt. Does this sound like what I should be talking about?

Next I was going to write about my personal strengths - prioritising, using examples of being nurse in charge during a crisis shift; and problem solving and making decisions, again using examples.

Please tell me if this is or isnt along the right lines? I don't want to sound generic.

Thank you
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I think that sounds fab. I think they might ask you about a safe patient journey and keeping the flow going and I would mabe pop in a wee weakness then say how you are working on overcoming it... If I was interviewing you I would write... Excellent on your form 🤩
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Thanks for posting this, I'm currently a social work student on placement in a mental health setting. They're advertising for band 5/6 and I'm considering applying so this post is quite useful for me. The only thing that's putting me off applying is if I don't get an interview or offered the job. I don't mind if it's because there's someone better for the job but the same job was advertised last month and none of the interviewees turned up. I'm not sure how easily I could carry on with the rest of my placement if I didn't get the job and neither did anyone else which is why I'm wondering if I shouldn't apply yet

Good luck with your application

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I am a band 5 general nurse and my last post was a patient flow coordinator just wanted to say good luck and I am sure all will go well. I would echo above posts and also when asked questions link them into an experience you've had and mention all the buzz words that underpin nursing and the NHS.
Do you mind me asking what sort of buzz words you use in nursing? I know the sort we've got in social work but not sure if they're the same as nursing ones.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
“Buzz words” need to have substance behind them. As an Advanced Nurse Practitioner I always ask about the 4 pillars of advanced practice. It amazes me how many applicants don’t know them and even those that do often don’t explain them very well. Find out exactly what the job entails and think about any challenges involved. Always have an example of conflict resolution ready for an interview and any improvement work you’ve been involved with. Look at national polices and find out about projects underway in the unit.

OP, use anything you have in your arsenal that’s relevant to the post. A rambling statement that just talks about how great you are is meaningless unless those attributes link to the job spec and job description. The best statement I saw recently was long but every bit of it was relevant and showed me the individual knew what the job was and that she was right for it.

Trip Report Index
Old 15 Dec 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

I would reflect what you do in your current or previous jobs to essentials in job description, evidence this in your statement. That is what you get when shortlisting.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List