Notices

Old 5 Mar 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 10: Finally Going Home and Final Thoughts

I woke up at 11.45 pm and thought oh no - going to be a long night! But thankfully I nodded off again, woke up at 6.15 and then dozed until 8.30! A successful night!

I made my way over to the airport to pick up my breakfast voucher. Whilst at the Air Canada desk, I asked if they could just check if the afternoon direct flight had seats available. The agent looked on the computer, said it looked full but would ring Brussels Airline for me. Success, there was a seat which they would deblock for me. I swear that being nice yesterday paid off!

She advised me to check in immediately, which I did. I then got a cheese sandwich and latte for breakfast.

The airport was quite busy. I headed back to my room until midday when I had to check out.

I love the old fashioned flight boards!

I forgot to say that when I checked in I was actually in what Brussels called their Fast and Flex seats - front of plane, free seat next to you, fast track and priority boarding! So for the first time ever I went through the no queue line!

Once through l got myself an apple lime and ginger juice. It was lovely - just what I needed. I found a quiet place and sat and tableted.

Boarding started on time! We were probably about 10 minutes late taking off and also arriving.

Passport control was a zoo but surprising my bag was there!

J and F came to pick me up and I was home by 6.30pm - only about 29 hours late!

My final thoughts:

I loved doing the statue walks - it was such an interesting way to see things that often just pass you by. This one was my favourite statue.

Using the RESO underground tunnels. Once I got my bearings it was such a fabulous way of getting around.

Visiting the churches - so visibly stunning and so restful. Though I did find St Joseph's Oratory very odd with all its escalators.

The food - especially the fish and chips! It is a lit easier feeding one than four!

The snow - indeed I would have liked even more of it! The city is obviously well set up to deal with it!

I thought the hotel was good - well situated, big room though the breakfast did get repetitive! I would definitely recommend it!

Not many low points:

The snooty cafe! No coffee and an expensive piece of baguette and cheese!

My french course in the sense that it didn't really meet my expectations. The teacher spoke way too much. One positive is that I feel I am making more effort to not make so many mistakes.

The detour to Brussels - arriving 29 hours late was not really on my agenda. I made the best of it but I would have preferred just to get home!

So overall I had a great trip! The rest of the family survived!

I calculated that I walked over 150km! No wonder I was asleep by 9pm most nights!

Many thanks to everyone who has read along with me - it is much appreciated!

Next trip is New England in July! See you then!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 5 Mar 18 7:57 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm glad you got home safe in the end. Your highs far outweigh the lows. The statues were a brilliant part of your walking tours. It must have felt odd being by yourself, but also quite liberating only having yourself to please.

I look forward to your New England adventure.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hurray you are finally home. I will miss reading your daily reports...until July! Thanks as always for sharing your travels.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Awwww Mel I'm glad you got home eventually, and yes being nice obviously paid off for you to get on the afternoon flight. It was, as it always is, such an interesting read following along on your trip. I really appreciate you sharing your adventures and I can't wait to see what you get up to in New England. Welcome home.
Old 6 Mar 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
That was a fantastic trip report - so much detail. Thank you. We only saw a few of the sculptures that you saw - perhaps a benefit of being on your own and taking your time.
Old 6 Mar 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m really glad you are home 🏠 well done on getting a direct flight so much better than going via Frankfurt

Once again thank you for doing your trippie

Joan
Old 6 Mar 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Glad to hear you are finally home. Thoroughly enjoyed following along. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your July trip
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Welcome back Mel.

Yet another great trippie. Hope the delay didn’t put too much of a dampener on it.

Looking forward to reading your summer report. Enjoy the planning.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm glad you got home safe in the end. Your highs far outweigh the lows. The statues were a brilliant part of your walking tours. It must have felt odd being by yourself, but also quite liberating only having yourself to please.

I look forward to your New England adventure.
Thank you! I like walking but my two teens will only tolerate it to a certain extent!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Hurray you are finally home. I will miss reading your daily reports...until July! Thanks as always for sharing your travels.
And thank you for reading along! I know if I didn't do it live I would never write them!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Awwww Mel I'm glad you got home eventually, and yes being nice obviously paid off for you to get on the afternoon flight. It was, as it always is, such an interesting read following along on your trip. I really appreciate you sharing your adventures and I can't wait to see what you get up to in New England. Welcome home.
Thanks Jackie! It was good to get home and have some time with the family before sterting back at work!

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
That was a fantastic trip report - so much detail. Thank you. We only saw a few of the sculptures that you saw - perhaps a benefit of being on your own and taking your time.
Travelling on your own is so very different! A week is about right for me! I saw so many things that I hadn't seen before!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I’m really glad you are home 🏠 well done on getting a direct flight so much better than going via Frankfurt

Once again thank you for doing your trippie

Joan
Thanks Joan Avoiding Frankfurt is always a positive!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Glad to hear you are finally home. Thoroughly enjoyed following along. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your July trip
Thank you! Looking forward to New England. Only 4 months to go!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Welcome back Mel.

Yet another great trippie. Hope the delay didn’t put too much of a dampener on it.

Looking forward to reading your summer report. Enjoy the planning.
Thanks Jo! I work on the philosophy that you can't help these things so best to just make the best of it!

Now onto what to do in New England (though all accommodation is booked as is the car!)

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List