Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 May 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cliver18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
100% this... some people have no morals
Can I injertect here for a moment, I’m well aware that people probably do pretend to have a disability for their own gain however there is a whole range of hidden disabilities out there where people have needs so before naming and shaming how are you going to know which ones are faking it?
Old 29 May 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by cliver18 View Post
Can I injertect here for a moment, I’m well aware that people probably do pretend to have a disability for their own gain however there is a whole range of hidden disabilities out there where people have needs so before naming and shaming how are you going to know which ones are faking it?
I wouldn't know and I wouldn't accuse, but it does go on and like I originally said it's down to morals and I would in no way whatsoever lie or extend the truth about a loved one to gain access to a seat, ride or attraction. It's hard and sometimes heartbreaking enough fighting for them in a lot of places when they do have a disability, why lie? a bit warped if you ask me but I know people who do play the system and that sticks in my throat when I have to fight tooth and nail for mine when they have genuine issues.

Edited at 02:19 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cliver18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
I wouldn't know and I wouldn't accuse, but it does go on and like I originally said it's down to morals and I would in no way whatsoever lie or extend the truth about a loved one to gain access to a seat, ride or attraction. It's hard and sometimes heartbreaking enough fighting for them in a lot of places when they do have a disability, why lie? a bit warped if you ask me but I know people who do play the system and that sticks in my throat when I have to fight tooth and nail for mine when they have genuine issues.
I know what you mean and I wasn’t having a go, having a hidden disability myself I have experienced both sides and jave had to defend why I need to use a disabled toilet more than once (good to see them being relabelled as accessible toilets in a lot of places).
Old 29 May 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cliver18 View Post
I know what you mean and I wasn’t having a go, having a hidden disability myself I have experienced both sides and jave had to defend why I need to use a disabled toilet more thasn once (good to see them being relabelled as accessible toilets in a lot of places).
Didnt think you were having a go , it is maddening though isn't it when you have to explain yourself when it's nobody else's business, I've had same thing happen with my daughter, over the years I think I've got a thicker skin but things like that used to reduce me to tears.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Suzysheep
Earning My Ears

my son is autistic, but looks like every other kid his age (14) ... except now that we are nearing the end of our holiday... he’s tired and homesick and is having frequent tantrums, won’t leave the hotel without a protest, won’t eat anywhere other than McDonald’s and is generally hard work.
We might have been able to get free seats together... but to be honest I couldn’t possibly inflict him on anyone else when he’s out of his comfort zone.
Home tomorrow... back to safe familiarity and routine!
Suzysheep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
soarintothemax
Getting Excited

Tomdan, try again via Twitter or Facebook with your airline. Hope you get some help, have a great trip.
soarintothemax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Slowpoke
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
Hi y'all

Just as a heads up if you have a child with Autism you are able to pre-book ALL seats for your family for free.

I had to have a little mini row with the call handler as their was a little language barrier and he didnt know what Autism was!

They tried to just book his seat for free and make us pay for our but i insisted and we got all four of us booked inbound and outbound.

I dont think he understood that due to DS's disability it meant we had to fill up the seats next to him to support him but also to make sure no other passengers had the unlucky opportunity of sitting next to him! hehe
this was so great to read. We are not going till July 2019 but I read this yesterday and called BA today and they allocated seats. We have autistic twins who can tend to kick the seats in front. A ten hour journey is going to be interesting.
Slowpoke is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
this was so great to read. We are not going till July 2019 but I read this yesterday and called BA today and they allocated seats. We have autistic twins who can tend to kick the seats in front. A ten hour journey is going to be interesting.
Hi we're also not going until july 2019,and our son is ASD ,i didnt know that they would allocate seats free of charge and have already payed so im going to ring and see iff they will refund them for us ,two of the seats are exit row seats and im sitting behind with my asd son so i hope this doesnt cause a problem ? but many thanks on the heads up on this x
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you so much for posting this, I did ring up this morning and got a very nice man who's Nephew turned out to be Autistic also so fully understood our concerns ...they have also refunded 2 out of the 4 seats we've booked as we've chosen to keep our exit row seats we've booked which is absolutely fine although the offer was there to refund the whole amount and move us all ... Thank you so much for the post xx
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Slowpoke
Earning More Ears

fantastic!
Slowpoke is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List